Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Additional Waivers obtainable by Law Enforcement

dougcjohn

Reaction score
Does anyone know what waivers various law enforcement obtains that are typically not obtainable by regular PT107 Pilots or Commercial Shops?

I was working on some IT issues (normal job) and included USMS (US Marshals). One Marshal knew I was involved in sUAV and was sharing new ventures, mainly USMS getting more involved with Drones and several taking their PT107 class. Mentioned they attend a 3 week class for various sUAV training & tactics.

This entertaining discussion carried into their use... using disconnecting teather systems that allow the drone to survey for extended periods and then break off teather when needing to move to continue tracking & observations.

This included the possible use of waivers to have no lights... full black out, to be over people and cross major roads.

Some companies are working on mobile roof mounted launch systems that can include the detachable teather. Also the use of observation cameras that collect 360 on ground, and use of remote launch pods controlled by controllers not near or visual of launch pods.

All sounds very interesting, easily within possible technologies, and also a bit concerning.
My main question were the waivers, is this a track Law Enforcement is obtaining? I haven't heard much about it... but it sounds like it's getting traction and more companies are getting involved in products specifically for Law Enforcement and sUAV. Are there limitations when these additional latitudes can be applied?

That takes me back to a previous event in KC, annual Holiday Lighting event that had several Law Enforcement Matrice sized platforms positioned above with no lights.

Incidently, it was mentioned they would like to use the M300 but policy prevents using DJI platforms.

Last edited:
Scope of discussion is technologies and waivers for Law Enforcement.
Not whom, where or greater details of my discussion, that won't be extended understandably.

Quite often a program operating under a Law Enforcement Entity can get a COA with seemingly any aspects of Part 107 removed. BVLOS, Ops Over People etc. So they aren't operating under Part 107 and getting Waivers but operating under a COA with allowances built into it.

Most entities operating under a Public Safety COA also have Part 107 Operators and utilize Part 107 to meet the annual training requirements for a Public Use COA. Just like Part 107 operators can fly under ~44809 or Part 107, a Public Use COA entity can determine which set of rules to fly per flight but the rules/allowances can NOT be mixed and matched during a single flight.

Reactions: RGB and Afghanpilot
Makes sense, thanks!
Public Safty COA or various Govt entities don't "need" a PT107 certification for similar reasons... but as you indicate, they use the PT107 as a knowledge or training platform.

Still seems odd that they can obtain these flight conditions easily, while prohibited or difficult to obtain otherwise. It indirectly weakens the argument or justification of why these regulations are in place. Not stating I don't understand the need in some situations, but it becomes standard ops as the practice is adopted in an increasingly number of agencies.

On a distant associated subject, all the modifications to introduce or allow BVLOS and Big Bisiness (UPS, FedEx, Amazon, etc) has seemed odd to me that they've worked to retain or combine with VLOS regulations when in my opinion they could have / should have created a seperate category & certifications. The politics and associated direction (marketing, regulations, etc) may not have impacted the sUAV realm of normal PT107 & Hobbyist as much.... which I interpet as intentional.

The reason agencies can get these authorization so easily is the FAA rules are put in place to not only protect the public, but to also protect some pilots from themselves. Police, Fire, and other agencies are going to have responsible people performing their missions. That's why a fire captain can put a drone up over a fire where we can't, and for good reason.

The reason agencies can get these authorization so easily is the FAA rules are put in place to not only protect the public, but to also protect some pilots from themselves. Police, Fire, and other agencies are going to have responsible people performing their missions. That's why a fire captain can put a drone up over a fire where we can't, and for good reason.
I'll totally agree with the rational of "why" but totally disagree with "responsible" pilot compared to PT107 Pilots. Some of the ones I've worked with are inexperienced, new to drones, but passed qualifications and in the agency.

That's similar to saying a LEO can shoot better because they're trusted, have a responsiblity and carry a gun. That isn't accurate either compared to serious hobbyist or competitors.

Last edited:
The flip side of that is you don't even need to know how to fly a drone to get your 107. To me the 107 license is a joke in one sense, you learn some basics of the aviation world and now you are a certified commercial pilot.
That is like sending someone through ground school, putting them in an airplane and telling them to go flying on their own, oh, and please don't crash our airplane and kill yourself.

The flip side of that is you don't even need to know how to fly a drone to get your 107. To me the 107 license is a joke in one sense, you learn some basics of the aviation world and now you are a certified commercial pilot.
That is like sending someone through ground school, putting them in an airplane and telling them to go flying on their own, oh, and please don't crash our airplane and kill yourself.
Similar to public safety in a way... I know 2 Guys in my small city that sat in the course, flew a few flights & passed the exam. Then haven't touched the drone since... about 6 months ago. They don't own their own drones and have zero experience.

In contrast, a hobbyist pursuing their hobby that turns more serious gets their PT107.

Although both examples are more individual, not public safety or agency that operates differently than PT107.

Hi,
I don't agree with learn some "basics". Maybe the 107 testing is easier these days...

Reactions: dougcjohn
The COA-cast has an episode, dated May 10, 2021, titled "Ask the FAA All About Flying Under a COA"

It cover the mistakes that many organizations make, under a COA. It is eye-opening.

My point was the amount of knowledge needed for a 107 is minimal compared to a commercial pilots license, or even a private license.
Please enlighten me (other than the flight experience). I'm interested in knowing. Knowledge is power.

Please enlighten me (other than the flight experience). I'm interested in knowing. Knowledge is power.
There is a WORLD of difference between Part 107 and any level of Manned Pilots License.

Part 107 - Quick Start Guide to Aviation, just enough to wet your appetite
All other Manned Pilots Licenses - LONG version and the higher the rating the more complex.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143