Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Airmap

mdurbanek

Reaction score
Website
www.architecturalshots.com
It's understood that LAANC is not a reality yet for most of us, but I wish app makers were more forthcoming about their products.

There are a couple of general aviation airports with towers in my county that are within 5 miles of my subjects. Filing a flight plan under 336 or 333 results in a pop-up box that lists the airport, along with the words "Accepts Digital Notification" (D-NAS). If the plan is filed under 107, the pop-up shows the airport name and the warning that FAA authorization is required.

When the plan is submitted under 336 or 333, a text arrives almost immediately (from an Alabama area code) that 333's are prohibited from flying at all, and that 336's simply must notify the airport and ATC.

I understand why there's a work-around for 333. It looks like LAANC will be the only way to fly 107. But I thought the 336 exemption was supposed to be an advantage? All of the big companies have obtained 336, but it looks like they can't fly anywhere.

What am a I missing?

I understand why there's a work-around for 333. It looks like LAANC will be the only way to fly 107. But I thought the 336 exemption was supposed to be an advantage? All of the big companies have obtained 336, but it looks like they can't fly anywhere.

What am a I missing?

336 Exemption? I think you're mixing your terms here.

Section 333 Exemptions are how we "request" for flights outside of the FARs and we have to petition for that and prove a need to do this as well as demonstrate HOW we do it and still maintain NAS safety. We don't utilize Section 333 Exemptions for sUAS Commercial work because we now have Part 107 in place. Most of our Section 333 Exemptions have now expired and not being renewed because Part 107 covers just about anything we need to do with sUAS. Just about... but that's a whole other topic.

Flying under 336 is A Hobby/Recreational flight. Technically it's called (Public Law 112-95 Section 336) and must be done 100% entirely within:
  1. Register their UAS with the FAA
  2. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  3. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  4. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  5. Give way to manned aircraft
  6. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  7. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM