Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Another knucklehead

If this kind of crap continues we're all going to wind up grounded.
What a idiot.

I wonder if it was someone who thought they were helping. Regardless, it does not look good for the UAS community.

If my local PD or Fire Dept ever ask me to assist in a SAR event I'll be up in the air in a heartbeat but I would be back on the ground before the big boy toys were flying over head.

Drones could be a tremendous tool for SAR, but must be managed by whomever is in charge. There is no question we are going to see things like this happen until the FAA steps in and kicks some butt.

Drones could be a tremendous tool for SAR, but must be managed by whomever is in charge. There is no question we are going to see things like this happen until the FAA steps in and kicks some butt.
Question is, when are they going to step in. Has anyone heard of any of these misprints getting busted?

I live in Humboldt. Sadly there are more than a few irresponsible @$$hats there. There's one local sUAS pilot who gets his videos posted everywhere, does commercial work, flies over people, cars, etc. There are others like him as well. FAA does not give a crap about it either. So until the FAA starts prosecuting these idiots we will continue to see stories like this.

In the USA, don't you have a tool to denounce this type of cases in the FAA?

Here any citizen can report a misuse, like any type of complaint, but instead of in court or to the police it is done at AESA (the agency in charge of air safety) over the Internet. An investigation is initiated, data is retrieved and the corresponding complaint or fine is formulated if it is pertinent. It seems strange to me that you don't have it when you are more advanced when it comes to paperwork.

I don't think they have the manpower to handle complaints.

"The FAA encourages the public to report unauthorized drone operations to local law enforcement and to help discourage this dangerous, illegal activity."

We'd all be members of the Aviation Industry, wouldn't we?

I was surprised you didn't have a tool like that. I'm glad ?

I don't think they have the manpower to handle complaints.

"The FAA encourages the public to report unauthorized drone operations to local law enforcement and to help discourage this dangerous, illegal activity."
I've tried that and the response I got was "We don't have the time or manpower for that". Now what?

I started flying in the 70s and have had a few encounters with the FAA folks, mainly when I was a crop duster. These folks aren't like your traffic cops that are our collecting revenue, they have a multitude of responsibilities and normally if a pilot makes a mistake all that happens is he gets a lecture. Now I'm not talking about major things like drinking and flying, or flying under bridges, or just being plain stupid. The thing I have found if they feel you are operating in a responsible manner and have a good attitude they are pretty workable.
I flew into Oakland, CA one afternoon and on approach the air controller got a low on glide-slope alarm and kind of yelled at me, and I yelled back I got it, or something like that.
FAA met me on the ramp, I told him sorry but I'm use to landing on 2000 ft or less runways and I make a practice of trying to land on the numbers, and I apologized for my response to the air controller. He looked over my logbook, kind of smiled and told me to please do not freak out the air controllers, and adjust my approach at controlled airports, end of conversation.
I'm with many of you, I would love to see some of the people that actually endanger others get whacked, but until they actually hurt someone, probably not going to happen.

I started flying in the 70s and have had a few encounters with the FAA folks, mainly when I was a crop duster. These folks aren't like your traffic cops that are our collecting revenue, they have a multitude of responsibilities and normally if a pilot makes a mistake all that happens is he gets a lecture. Now I'm not talking about major things like drinking and flying, or flying under bridges, or just being plain stupid. The thing I have found if they feel you are operating in a responsible manner and have a good attitude they are pretty workable.
I flew into Oakland, CA one afternoon and on approach the air controller got a low on glide-slope alarm and kind of yelled at me, and I yelled back I got it, or something like that.
FAA met me on the ramp, I told him sorry but I'm use to landing on 2000 ft or less runways and I make a practice of trying to land on the numbers, and I apologized for my response to the air controller. He looked over my logbook, kind of smiled and told me to please do not freak out the air controllers, and adjust my approach at controlled airports, end of conversation.
I'm with many of you, I would love to see some of the people that actually endanger others get whacked, but until they actually hurt someone, probably not going to happen.

Of course, we all want to have reasonable people in front of us. We all make mistakes, we are human, but here comes the big one but, when you go to 200kmh there is no police to take it reasonably, then the FAA staff or any agency that controls the air spaces, can not reasonably take a person to fly between helicopters or similar, in that case hard hand.

Reactions: Grumpy
I've tried that and the response I got was "We don't have the time or manpower for that". Now what?

@Grumpy Did you use this avenue for your complaint?
FAA does have a reporting portal.

The reason I ask is this... if they get information with credible evidence they DO follow up.

How do I know? I received "that call" from an FAA Inspector back a few years ago. I honestly thought it was one of my friends playing a joke on me but after a few minutes I realized it was the REAL DEAL! Someone "local" had reported me for operating without the proper FAA license. Fortunately I had that license and MORE. We went over the #'s (my credentials) and once he verified everything he said, "Mr. Newland I apologize for taking up your time today but when we get reports like this and have enough information to make contact we do follow up and create a case file. You've more than satisfied the requirements and we are considering this case CLOSED. You'll get some documents in certified mail in a few days that support this action. Fly safe and have a nice day."

I'm pretty sure I know who reported me but that's neither here nor there but I was reported and I was contacted by the FAA.

If an incident is reported and it can be verified they will follow up or they have in my experiences. Of course like everything else YMMV and it probably depends on current work load and severity of the incident.

Allen

The reason I ask is this... if they get information with credible evidence they DO follow up.

How do I know? I received "that call" from an FAA Inspector back a few years ago. I honestly thought it was one of my friends playing a joke on me but after a few minutes I realized it was the REAL DEAL! Someone "local" had reported me for operating without the proper FAA license. Fortunately I had that license and MORE. We went over the #'s (my credentials) and once he verified everything he said, "Mr. Newland I apologize for taking up your time today but when we get reports like this and have enough information to make contact we do follow up and create a case file. You've more than satisfied the requirements and we are considering this case CLOSED. You'll get some documents in certified mail in a few days that support this action. Fly safe and have a nice day."

I'm pretty sure I know who reported me but that's neither here nor there but I was reported and I was contacted by the FAA.

If an incident is reported and it can be verified they will follow up or they have in my experiences. Of course like everything else YMMV and it probably depends on current work load and severity of the incident.

Allen
Sorry Allen, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the LEA in my area. I'll need to get some pertinent information on the scofflaw for the FAA form.

Sorry Allen, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the LEA in my area. I'll need to get some pertinent information on the scofflaw for the FAA form.

Ah gotcha. That's a tough one because most local LEA don't really know what they CAN or SHOULD do. It's funny because I'm watching an FAA Webinar right now about that very topic.
"Drone Safety for Law Enforcement" and the webinar just bombed out LOL.

Good luck and Safe Flights :)

How do I know? I received "that call" from an FAA Inspector back a few years ago.

That is very interesting. I recently reported a guy with a long history of commercial flights, many with flying over people, moving vehicles, etc. I had witnessed one flight, even spoke with him to verify not a 107 pilot. Provided his website where he has many BVLOS flights posted, flying over people, roads, cars, etc.He clearly claims to be the pilot on the videos. FAA did nothing. This is within the last year.

That is very interesting. I recently reported a guy with a long history of commercial flights, many with flying over people, moving vehicles, etc. I had witnessed one flight, even spoke with him to verify not a 107 pilot. Provided his website where he has many BVLOS flights posted, flying over people, roads, cars, etc.He clearly claims to be the pilot on the videos. FAA did nothing. This is within the last year.

Hopefully he got the same phone call and maybe even the follow up "Educational Materials" the FAA is well know for "First Encounter w/o an Incident".

It's a sad state of affairs when we as part 107 pilots, after doing our due diligence, will more than likely wind up holding the sheety end of the stick. These scofflaws will continue their antics because they know nothing will be done to deter them. Maybe it's time for the

There is one thing for sure, if someone gets injured the pilot will meet the FAA, and if they were flying illegally they better have a fat wallet, and a lot of insurance. I do know this about the FAA people, their focus is safety and when there is an accident and someone is injured by an aircraft be it fixed wing, helicopter, or drone they will deal with it.

If anyone wants a little insight, watch the movie Sully, (pilot landed in Hudson River) he did everything right and the NTSB tried to hang him, first assumption was pilot error. That is an extreme example but if you are flying anything, you are in the FAA playground.

Reactions: Grumpy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905