Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Any FPV racing drone pilots here?

It certainly is a much different experience flying FPV rather than LOS. When I fly with the goggles I’m constantly ducking and moving because it’s like sitting in the cockpit.
Flying is much more challenging but a lot of fun. It takes much more skill than my Phantom, that’s for sure.

Reactions: R.P..R
I am not going to lie, I got dizzy and so far, I'm not crashing or bumping into things as much. I bought a second hand iFlight CineBee, with FatShark Attitude V5, FrSky Taranis Q x7 for a good price.

Now I have a question, if you are wearing goggles, do you have an observer? I'm sure everyone understands why I ask.

Now I love goggles, it seems to be the most realistic view, but since I normally don't have an observer I can't use them.

Now I have a question, if you are wearing goggles, do you have an observer? I'm sure everyone understands why I ask.

Now I love goggles, it seems to be the most realistic view, but since I normally don't have an observer I can't use them.
No you don’t have an observer. However the drone I fly is under .55lbs so no rules apply.

Professionally I fly a Phantom 4 but for freestyle with goggles I fly a Emax Tinyhawk. Great little quad and tons of fun.

The whoops are fun to fly, hands down. I have been flying my whoop, almost daily, and I’m getting used to the controls now. I am looking at Arris as my next trainer and hopefully graduate to getting the Serenity Cinema package.

What’s cool about buying an RTF FPV drone is that you don’t need an FCC Part 15 license, and can basically fly almost anywhere.

The goggle issue is really interesting to me. Since I'm a fixed wing pilot my natural preference is FPV. The nice thing about them is the visual is so much better than a tablet. Now I know the RC guys prefer to watch the aircraft and that is understandable. Recently they had an RC Float plane get together at one of our local lakes, one of the guys flying there was using goggles had a camera mounting in the cockpit of his aircraft. I got talking to him and he was also high time pilot, and FPV was just normal for him. I'm reluctant to try them on my job site, even on autonomous flights because I don't have an observer. However my personal opinion is it would make no difference other than the inability to see another aircraft approaching from one of my blind spots, so I do understand the regs. If I could get an observer I would definitely use them. The only other thing is I would prefer a 50mm lens for the camera because that is the closest for me to normal vision, but it would restrict the field of view compared to the 15 mm that I currently use on the I2.

R.Perry - if you want to have the time of your life I'd recommend giving FPV freestyle a try. It will cost you about $300 for everything you need as far as equipment.

I will warn you though, it's not plug and play, but also not that complicated once you understand the basics of setting things up.

A good transmitter is about$100 (FRSKY Taranis QX7), Goggles (Eachine EV800) around $100, quad (TinyHawk) $89 and extra quad batteries (6) $20.

I'd also recommend a simulator (Velocidrone) which is $20, because flying these things is quite challenging at first.

This weekend I had fun trying to hit my neighbors who were standing in a field. :) They tried holding their arms like a hoop for me to fly through.

Targeting my neighbors

What's really nice is that under .55lbs you can fly it anywhere. Even in your house with no worries of hurting anything.

Plenty of help getting started on Drone racing Pilots. Very few actually race, it's more about freestyle.

Check out some YouTube vids to get an idea of what it's about too.

Reactions: R.P..R
I'm seriously considering a Babyhawk Pro R 4" BNF Frsky. I Think it's right on the border of 250 grams, but a wicked little critter.

I’ve see the reviews in YouTube and the are fast!!!!

I’m also thinking about getting iflight megabee v2 with Osmo action or GoPro (but will be buying a used action cam)

And yes! DJI has caught on, as the drone market is growing, yet shifting towards another type to thrill.

The high-def video and range is impressive. Price is a bit steep and the receiver heats up pretty severe. maybe wait for V2.0
Need to build the camera and receiver into a quad. maybe if they come out with a compatible BNF quad it may be good.
I am a fan of DJI so I'm sure in time they'll be players and will bring more people into FPV.

R.Perry - if you want to have the time of your life I'd recommend giving FPV freestyle a try. It will cost you about $300 for everything you need as far as equipment.

I will warn you though, it's not plug and play, but also not that complicated once you understand the basics of setting things up.

A good transmitter is about$100 (FRSKY Taranis QX7), Goggles (Eachine EV800) around $100, quad (TinyHawk) $89 and extra quad batteries (6) $20.

I'd also recommend a simulator (Velocidrone) which is $20, because flying these things is quite challenging at first.

This weekend I had fun trying to hit my neighbors who were standing in a field. :) They tried holding their arms like a hoop for me to fly through.

Targeting my neighbors

What's really nice is that under .55lbs you can fly it anywhere. Even in your house with no worries of hurting anything.

Plenty of help getting started on Drone racing Pilots. Very few actually race, it's more about freestyle.

Check out some YouTube vids to get an idea of what it's about too.

So.. got the TinyHawk, and was able to bind with Qx7 and Fatshark, and through Betaflight, I configured the Mockingbird project. WOW!!!!! I am loving this tiny whoop, and it's durable too.

Reactions: Roadking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143