Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Any FPV racing drone pilots here?

So.. got the TinyHawk, and was able to bind with Qx7 and Fatshark, and through Betaflight, I configured the Mockingbird project. WOW!!!!! I am loving this tiny whoop, and it's durable too.
Hey, glad you're having fun with it. I am too. It's a great learning quad and pretty amazing what it can do. Join Drone racing Pilots if you haven't already. You can get help and ideas, plus share your experience in your new pass time.

Reactions: R.P..R
So far... I have been intermittently getting stick time, and loving the Tinyhawk whoop drone. Out on the open field, I don't have problems flying this tiny whoop, but in close-quarter flying in acro mode mastering flip-crash maneuvers lol..... this drone is a blast.

How do other pilots do it!!!?? [emoji23] I flew inside my house and I ended looking for it for an hour.

Are you getting the Tinyhawk Freestyle?

When I first started I thought just flying was impossible and said the same thing. I spent 2 weeks on the simulator and finally could fly. Inside I crash in 2 seconds. My problem is that I go too fast and have to keep moving to maintain control. Hovering is out of the question. ;) I'm going to try loading Project Mockingbird on my THawk which is said to make it fly much better.

Yes, I ordered 2 new quads for outdoor use. The Freestyle, which should be coming today, and the GEPRC Phantom Toothpick coming from China on a slow boat. :)

We should probably be discussing this in Drone Racing Pilots Forum

When I first started I thought just flying was impossible and said the same thing. I spent 2 weeks on the simulator and finally could fly. Inside I crash in 2 seconds. My problem is that I go too fast and have to keep moving to maintain control. Hovering is out of the question. ;) I'm going to try loading Project Mockingbird on my THawk which is said to make it fly much better.

Yes, I ordered 2 new quads for outdoor use. The Freestyle, which should be coming today, and the GEPRC Phantom Toothpick coming from China on a slow boat. :)

We should probably be discussing this in Drone Racing Pilots Forum

I love my Tinyhawk, but the Freestyle is more responsive and I’m able to have control due to the power. I really digging this drone, my new fav.

IMG_1863.jpg

Reactions: AIA.AI
I agree! The TH Freestyle is really a nice little machine. Very powerful, longer flight time and flies beautifully. Only issue I've experienced is the video transmission. I lost video for a few seconds mid flight and was flying blind. Scary as hell but when I got it back I recouped. Overall I love it.

My progress... Thanks to the TinyHawk the transition to the Freestyle was easy. I had a bit of a minor dilemma sorting things out due to my inexperience in BetaFlight and Tx configuration, but slowly understand stuff out as I progress. Here's a quick flight before work..... And just to point out, I am now one of those new flyers that hate poles.

Wow. I was impressed how fast you improved until the end. ?. I´m still stucked with a burnt motor that I have not fixed yet on my Eachine from 2 years ago.

Wow. I was impressed how fast you improved until the end. ?. I´m still stucked with a burnt motor that I have not fixed yet on my Eachine from 2 years ago.

I used to fly 3D RC Helis and was at one point competing. But these fpv drones are in a whole new ballpark due to the immersive experience. I just started flying in ACRO earlier today and you should have seen how many times, I smacked the little freestyle around today, but it keeps bouncing back up. Luckily today, I only went home with a bent prop. lol.

Reactions: SpecialJ
I used to fly 3D RC Helis and was at one point competing. But these fpv drones are in a whole new ballpark due to the immersive experience. I just started flying in ACRO earlier today and you should have seen how many times, I smacked the little freestyle around today, but it keeps bouncing back up. Luckily today, I only went home with a bent prop. lol.
I started flyin FPV about 5 months ago, it’s a blast but there is a huge learning curve. Especially, when it comes to fixing and having to solder(not my cup of tea). @RPR that’s a new looking Tinyhawk, never seen that one.

I have a iflight MegaBee on its way compliments of Bangood. I like the fast freestyle but I really enjoy the slow flow flying, regardless, I’m pretty sure flying FPV will make you a better Camera Gimbal Pilot. Much harder to fly FPV even in Stab mode.

I started flyin FPV about 5 months ago, it’s a blast but there is a huge learning curve. Especially, when it comes to fixing and having to solder(not my cup of tea). @RPR that’s a new looking Tinyhawk, never seen that one.

I have a iflight MegaBee on its way compliments of Bangood. I like the fast freestyle but I really enjoy the slow flow flying, regardless, I’m pretty sure flying FPV will make you a better Camera Gimbal Pilot. Much harder to fly FPV even in Stab mode.

I FINALLY did IT!! Yesterday, I concentrated on flying nose in acro, earlier I had this itch to fly to test out what I've learned.. I am loving this whole ACRO mode, but note to self, I need to fly in the morning, because I just smacked two batteries that I just had gotten in the mail (this morning)

I FINALLY did IT!! Yesterday, I concentrated on flying nose in acro, earlier I had this itch to fly to test out what I've learned.. I am loving this whole ACRO mode, but note to self, I need to fly in the morning, because I just smacked two batteries that I just had gotten in the mail (this morning)

Nice flying. Looks like you're really having fun with FPV.
The sound of static would have been better background noise.

Reactions: R.P..R
@Roadking got the okay from the wifey on getting the Lumenier QAV-R 2 Freestyle Quadcopter RTF w/ DJI Digital HD FPV System. If I lessen or don’t crash anymore, but heck! I feel like getting it next week. Wutcha think of this setup?

@Roadking got the okay from the wifey on getting the Lumenier QAV-R 2 Freestyle Quadcopter RTF w/ DJI Digital HD FPV System. If I lessen or don’t crash anymore, but heck! I feel like getting it next week. Wutcha think of this setup?

Honestly I don't know enough yet to give you a good opinion. It looks like an awesome machine. Big 5". Question is would Fatsharks be good too. Reason I say that is with DJI you have to install their vtx in every drone you own. It also looks like on the Lumenier you'll have to de-install the vtx that it comes with.

Just my opinion but I'm not too keen on the DJI system. Mainly because for me I plan on staying in the "below 250 grams" range, and the DJI vtx is too big, weighs too much, and I'm not ready for building / soldering.
For the time being I'm staying in the BNF arena.

I like the quad, just not sure about the DJI system yet, although the HD video is the best out there right now.

Either way I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it if you get it.

R.Perry - if you want to have the time of your life I'd recommend giving FPV freestyle a try. It will cost you about $300 for everything you need as far as equipment.

I will warn you though, it's not plug and play, but also not that complicated once you understand the basics of setting things up.

A good transmitter is about$100 (FRSKY Taranis QX7), Goggles (Eachine EV800) around $100, quad (TinyHawk) $89 and extra quad batteries (6) $20.

I'd also recommend a simulator (Velocidrone) which is $20, because flying these things is quite challenging at first.

This weekend I had fun trying to hit my neighbors who were standing in a field. :) They tried holding their arms like a hoop for me to fly through.

Targeting my neighbors

What's really nice is that under .55lbs you can fly it anywhere. Even in your house with no worries of hurting anything.

Plenty of help getting started on Drone racing Pilots. Very few actually race, it's more about freestyle.

Check out some YouTube vids to get an idea of what it's about too.

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't be into racing, or some of the free style flying I've seen. At almost 71 my reflexes aren't what they once were.

Reactions: R.P..R and Roadking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM