Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

"Approved" UAS ground school

LUIS MARTINEZ

Reaction score
Website
www.martinezaerial.com
Is there such a thing as a process by the FAA to "approve" a UAS ground school or instructor? I know no such approval is required under 14 CFR Part 107 - SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS, and there is no such thing under Part 141. The closest thing is the Ground Instructor ticket, still not required by the FAA to teach a 107 class, yet.

I am sure a part 141 flight school can ask and get "approval" for a UAS school. But is it required by FARs?

Unless something has changed in the last few months (I'm pretty sure it has not) there is no such process for sUAS training. A while back the FAA did give Gold Seal UAV Ground School their blessing but the other ground schools pitched a fit and knew the right people and got that "blessing" rescinded.

IMHO Gold Seal is 2nd to none and since they are FAA Flight Instructors (Manned aircraft) they understand how to teach the subject matter as opposed to teaching how to pass the test.

Reactions: clolsonus
Thanks Al. That is what I thought. Just lost a contract to train FD pilots, to a very large outfit, well known for training accident investigators and reconstructionists (I completed most of their AI courses in the 1990s). The big selling point to the city was that they were "FAA Approved."

As a manned ac pilot, UAS pilot since 2015, and holder of a masters in education (been teaching since 1982) I can teach anyone part 107, safety and aviation principles. I submit there are no experts in UAS schooling, but it's getting there.

Last edited:
Thanks Al. That is what I thought. Just lost a contract to train FD pilots, to a very large outfit, well known for training accident investigators and reconstructionists (I completed most of their AI courses in the 1990s). The big selling point to the city was that they were "FAA Approved."

As a manned ac pilot, UAS pilot since 2015, and holder of a masters in education (been teaching since 1982) I can teach anyone part 107, safety and aviation principles. I submit there are no experts in UAS schooling, but it's getting there.

Do you happen to know who that FAA Approved instruction is?

It's a shame these companies can cite this with no recourse for validation. This is common with a new and "Disruptive" technology until it matures and people's understanding improves.

Just lost a contract to train FD pilots, to a very large outfit, well known for training accident investigators and reconstructionists (I completed most of their AI courses in the 1990s). The big selling point to the city was that they were "FAA Approved."

It's too bad that the FD will take false marketing at face value. You should tell them in addition to your UAS resume, you train astronauts for NASA, Space X, and Blue Origin. You can back that up just as easily as the big company can back up their claim. I know I'm being facetious, but that's BS.

It's too bad that the FD will take false marketing at face value. You should tell them in addition to your UAS resume, you train astronauts for NASA, Space X, and Blue Origin. You can back that up just as easily as the big company can back up their claim. I know I'm being facetious, but that's BS.

LOL why didn't I think of that ???
"Chuck Yeager taught me to fly" I'm old enough!!!!
"I'm still chasing that demon that lives in the air, 750 miles an hour, where the air just can't get out of the way. The called it.....the Sound Barrier. They built an airplane. The X -1 and Men came to the high California desert to ride it...and no one knew their names..."
Great line to try on the brilliant city manager...a lie but guess that's ok.

Reactions: R Martin
I would contact the FAA. They take a dim view of this type of thing. They recently sanctioned a company doing drone registration trying to imply they were approved by the FAA.

I would contact the FAA. They take a dim view of this type of thing. They recently sanctioned a company doing drone registration trying to imply they were approved by the FAA.

Received today:
"Luis
I have copied Dave Bear to this response. Dave is an aviation safety inspector and may be able to answer your question because I too am not aware of any FAA UAS Ground School Approval Letter.

Steve Pansky/SAIC
Senior Aviation Analyst-AVS Safety Technical Services Support contract
Air Traffic and Public Safety/SAC-EC Liaison
Supporting Federal Aviation Administration Unmanned Aircraft
Systems Tactical Operations Section, AUS 430/AJV-115
Phone: 202-904-9400
Email: [email protected] "

THE FOLLOWING EMAIL FROM FAA SCOTTSDALE FSDO RECEIVED TODAY:
------------------------
Good Morning,

I am not aware of any FAA requirement for a UAS ground school. There are quite a few knowledge test prep centers, but there is nothing in the regulations requiring any type of ground school.(emphasis added)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Jeff Larson
Aviation Safety Inspector
UAS Focal
Federal Aviation Administration
Scottsdale FSDO
480-284-7592
---------------------------------------

Anyone wanting the original email forwarded to you please email me at
[email protected]

Forgive a foolish old man's pleasure for a small victory against city hall.:p

if you really want to press it, you might consider going before the next city council meeting, site the two FAA responses above and ask that the original contract/award be cancelled (due to misrepresentation by the contract winner) and bidding be reopened.

Reactions: IronManNDFW
if you really want to press it, you might consider going before the next city council meeting, site the two FAA responses above and ask that the original contract/award be cancelled (due to misrepresentation by the contract winner) and bidding be reopened.
I have no desire to stomp these folks into the ground, just let them know that I know my business; not another schmuck with a drone. And that the city needs to drop the "pros from Dover" attitude when dealing with us locals. ?

Reactions: AH-1G and BigAl07
Depending on your state and city make up - your City Manager may be the one who actually is the "Administrator," and the council is the representatives. It is worth a walk in and ask the question...

Depending on your state and city make up - your City Manager may be the one who actually is the "Administrator," and the council is the representatives. It is worth a walk in and ask the question...
Done that.I was a police chief in this area and have no desire to stir the pot. just to make the powers that be aware they should support local businesses and that the "pros from Dover" dont always know best.

Reactions: BigAl07
A asked about this myself as I am the part 107 instructor and senior pilot for my company, and wanted to make sure we were legal. The answer I got (which only applies to me and my relation to the position in this company) was that there is no officially sanctioned process at this time for becoming a UAS instructor. I was told was that I needed to make a set of operation guidelines that the company would operate under, and have a letter of appointment by the principals on file naming me to the position. I created a 16 page operations manual, and filed the letter of appointment. As a backup, I am constantly looking through data, manuals, my own flight experience as a part 61 pilot, and leaning on things like this forum and others to stay updated and current on everything I can that relates to the drone community. We hold safety meetings before each mission, and quarterly trainings for the pilots, MO's, and VO's. As a final safeguard I am named as the "responsible person" on the Drone Zone for the company. Hope this helps.

A asked about this myself as I am the part 107 instructor and senior pilot for my company, and wanted to make sure we were legal. The answer I got (which only applies to me and my relation to the position in this company) was that there is no officially sanctioned process at this time for becoming a UAS instructor. I was told was that I needed to make a set of operation guidelines that the company would operate under, and have a letter of appointment by the principals on file naming me to the position. I created a 16 page operations manual, and filed the letter of appointment. As a backup, I am constantly looking through data, manuals, my own flight experience as a part 61 pilot, and leaning on things like this forum and others to stay updated and current on everything I can that relates to the drone community. We hold safety meetings before each mission, and quarterly trainings for the pilots, MO's, and VO's. As a final safeguard I am named as the "responsible person" on the Drone Zone for the company. Hope this helps.
Thanks. It was the same path I followed when establishing aviation operations at a PD and now FD as chief pilot. I wrote a 56 page operations manual (definitions, safety procedures, training, check rides, FAA rules, policies, job descriptions, forms, and the kitchen sink). Actually the PD and I parted ways after a year, I wanted an aviation unit and culture; they wanted to fly drones (two very different things). I was troubled by an outfit claiming a non-existent credential, did my homework and told the city to get educated.

Reactions: BigAl07
Ok, so I'm a private pilot and 107, if I follow the guide lines you mentioned, I can certify myself as a UAS/SUAV instructor? sweet!

Ok, so I'm a private pilot and 107, if I follow the guide lines you mentioned, I can certify myself as a UAS/SUAV instructor? sweet!
Gather around and sit, quietly my children. Grandpa is going to predict the future. The feds will either (a) create a whole new CFI-like certificate for UAS or (b) require UAS instructors to hold an FAA Ground Instructor certificate. A is too hard so I'm gonna guess B is coming for anyone wanting to operate a UAS ground school. Maybe even revise Part 141!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM