Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Are 107 Holders really Pilots?

Tim Jones

Reaction score
I have been in this discussion before, but it is always a fun topic if folks can stay objective.

Long before there were flying machines at all, the term was used to describe those who controlled sea vessels.

Loosely speaking, it could be defined as anyone at the controls of an flying vehicle.
I found studying for the 107 that there is much more to consider than what camera setting you make
What I learned about weather, air traffic patterns, etc was well worth studying.
Now does that qualify me to fly a fighter jet or passenger plane. Noooooo
But I do have to consider many of the same dynamics when I put something that costs thousands of dollars into the air, and over people and property.

I have had a couple "pilots" come at me saying taking a test does not make you a pilot. Well according to the FAA I am a "Remote" Pilot. So sorry.

Look at scuba diving. Your opening classification is open water diver. You can advance and become a rescue diver, or dive master, but technically you are still a diver.

Reactions: Mike Flys
Well the way I look at it here at Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 8.14.12 PM.png we have here and 9 other's
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 8.11.29 PM.png
So I see us as all pilots of whatever .:)

As certificates by the FAA, you're a pilot. I also carry a pvt.
You may be to some extent a "Drone" Pilot , but a Private Pilot takes a minimum 20 hours of classes and flying with an instructor. Then takes the flying exam. So a Drone Pilot has very very basic understanding of flying. I'm also pvt with multi-rating Cessna 310, and numerous single engine.
I'm all for having an Instructor sign off in order show your flying skills.

Last edited:
I think if you've spent the time to study and pass the 107 exam, you are to be considered a UAV pilot regardless of experience because you have been taught the responsibilities of a pilot and will take the necessary steps to fly safely and within the rules. But the act of getting a "drone" into the air and back down does not necessarily make one a pilot.

Reactions: BigAl07
It is an interesting conversation, but to me it is also clear based on your FAA license. As per the FAA certificate, you are a "Remote Pilot" with a "sUAS" rating, meaning you can fly unmanned vehicles up to 55 pounds MTOW.

I personally hold that license and an ATP license with various Type Ratings, allowing me to fly things up to 775,000 pounds MTOW.

775,000 pounds, that kind of squishes the 310:eek:

Yeah I think you can count on one hand the number of civilian aircraft types that take off at that weight, I think the
Boeing 777300-ER did a world record for a twin engine aircraft back in May of 774,600.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM