Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Aviation Handheld Radios

You most certainly DO NOT want to EVER transmit on the radio. Having one to listen to is a great idea, but only if you know what frequency to listen to.

This! If you want to really piss off a large group of pilots and controllers all at once, get on the radio, not knowing how to communicate on it, and tell them you're flying a drone!

Reactions: Mike Nevins
If I'm a certified real pilot, am I not allowed to transmit while flying my drone?
From the FAA's remote pilot study guide: "a remote pilot is not expected to communicate with other aircraft in the vicinity of an airport, and should not do so unless there is an emergency situation."

One of the areas DUU covers is how to talk the lingo of aircraft communication for emergency only. This is not a hard set but they provide the NATO Phonetic alphabet. The bad part is sometime i get confused with a different version that I learn from the Academy.

One of the areas DUU covers is how to talk the lingo of aircraft communication for emergency only. This is not a hard set but they provide the NATO Phonetic alphabet. The bad part is sometime i get confused with a different version that I learn from the Academy.
I don't have any problems with the phonetic alphabet, been a ham radio operator since my teens. Also, I've done some work inside a couple nuclear power plants and one of the things in the week long nuclear security clearance course I had to take was using it when communicating.

This! If you want to really piss off a large group of pilots and controllers all at once, get on the radio, not knowing how to communicate on it, and tell them you're flying a drone!

Ianwood. You are right. In addition, in order to communicate using one of the said radios listed in this thread would require you to have a Ham license because airport frequencies are on VHF and UHF freq. You need at least a technicians license. That's what I have. They are good for 5 years and you re-up them. There are a lot of good radios out there that you can use to listen to these freq on. Yaesu, Kenwood, ICOM, Alinco and so on. You can buy some with scanners for less than $ 60.00. I prefer Yaesu but that's me.

Ianwood. You are right. In addition, in order to communicate using one of the said radios listed in this thread would require you to have a Ham license because airport frequencies are on VHF and UHF freq. You need at least a technicians license. That's what I have. They are good for 5 years and you re-up them. There are a lot of good radios out there that you can use to listen to these freq on. Yaesu, Kenwood, ICOM, Alinco and so on. You can buy some with scanners for less than $ 60.00. I prefer Yaesu but that's me.

Nope, absolutely false! Having a ham license does not give you permission to talk on the aircraft frequencies. Also, a ham license is good for 10 years, not 5. I have my Amateur Extra class license and have been a ham for over 40 years and used to teach classes for the local ham club.

Reactions: Peter Pan Pan
FatherXmas: Correct. Let me clarify. As Ham operators, we can transmit on VHF and UHF but not on aircraft freq. I did not want to get drawn into the various frequencies (Bands) that different classes are authorized to use. I had to go back and look, and you are right, it's 10 years, not 5. Thanks for correcting me on that. Also, With a Technician Class license, you will have all ham radio privileges above 30 MHz. These privileges include the very popular 2-meter band. Many Technician licensees enjoy using small (2 meter) hand-held radios to stay in touch with other hams in their area. Technicians may operate FM voice, digital packet (computers), television, single-sideband voice and several other interesting modes. You can even make international radio contacts via satellites, using relatively simple station equipment. Technician licensees now also have additional privileges on certain HF frequencies. Technicians may also operate on the 80, 40 and 15 meter bands using CW, and on the 10 meter band using CW, voice and digital modes. Hope the clarifies things...o_O

I use the Yaesu 750 for UAS and GA. It has more bells and whistles than needed for UAS, but Im also a private pilot, so it backs me up for system failure. Im also an amateur radio operator, and own many Yaesu products because I like the way the menus and instructions are laid out. Just seems to be more intuitive for me. Your milage may vary, but there other air band transceivers that are a little less expensive that will get the job of monitoring done just as well.

FatherXmas: Correct. Let me clarify. As Ham operators, we can transmit on VHF and UHF but not on aircraft freq. I did not want to get drawn into the various frequencies (Bands) that different classes are authorized to use. I had to go back and look, and you are right, it's 10 years, not 5. Thanks for correcting me on that. Also, With a Technician Class license, you will have all ham radio privileges above 30 MHz. These privileges include the very popular 2-meter band. Many Technician licensees enjoy using small (2 meter) hand-held radios to stay in touch with other hams in their area. Technicians may operate FM voice, digital packet (computers), television, single-sideband voice and several other interesting modes. You can even make international radio contacts via satellites, using relatively simple station equipment. Technician licensees now also have additional privileges on certain HF frequencies. Technicians may also operate on the 80, 40 and 15 meter bands using CW, and on the 10 meter band using CW, voice and digital modes. Hope the clarifies things...o_O

No worries, I was just concerned that your original post seemed to say hams can legally talk on aircraft frequencies. You are correct about the many different places and modes available, over the last 40 years, I've done them all. I've been running mostly HF mobile for the last couple years. I've talked to folks in all 50 states and around 30 foreign countries from my pick-up truck.

When registering my drone with FAA, they asked me for a "name" of the aircraft, so I named it with an abbreviation for my photo business using "MTP1". When talking with local non-tower airport in my area in No. California, they said no problem using local 122.8 on my own HT. I am going to purchase Icom A-14 very soon, no need for VOR or other on my radio, have lots of access to flight info on cell phone. I will also have all Comm, ATIS, FSS etc. for any airports in the Sacramento Valley where I live, all in memories for scanning or monitoring.

In my town when operating for commercial reasons, any announcements I give would be "Paradise Airspace, Unmanned Aircraft Mike Tango Papa 1 operating 4 miles north of Paradise Airport, below 200 feet AGL, from 1400 to 1500 Local time, Paradise Airspace". Just an announcement and I understand it's legitimate reason to be on the radio, including another Class D airport with ATC in Chico, CA but only when doing commercial ops in their airspace, strictly legit reasons.

FYI, anyone who has one of these kinds of radios, look in amateur radio catalogs for cases, chargers, etc. There is a huge overlap in handy talkies from the various popular brands, Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, etc.

Cheers and happy flying!

Dave

Reactions: SWA Pilot
I'm not saying to communicate with the control tower, not smart, that has been established if you were fling within the 5 mile vicinity with approved waiver.
I saying when close proximity to Unicom 122.8 area. 3547K

Just an announcement and I understand it's legitimate reason to be on the radio, including another Class D airport with ATC in Chico, CA but only when doing commercial ops in their airspace, strictly legit reasons.

Sadly, no. You do not have the authority to transmit, except in an emergency.

Last edited:
Absolutely NO! The Amateur Radio license allows communication in specific regions of those bands. NOT thru-out the band. Stay off the air Except band you are specifically licensed for. I'm a pilot, Commercial Radio operator and, Ham. Oh the stories I could tell! Jim

I have looked into this radio thing quite a bit ago. After finding out the I would most likely need an FCC Ground Station license, I asked them. Here is the email and reply.

Case Id HD00000029xxxx

Summary: Filing Instructions - Application

Description: As a Private Pilot (FAA certified) I know that for my airplane transceiver I do not need a license for use in the USA on the VHF band.

I am also a certified FAA Remote Pilot for UAS (aka 'drone') aircraft. This is where I control the aircraft via a remote control two-way link. I know that I do not need a license for that.

Given this, do I need a licence to operate a hand held transmitter to contact FAA ATC tower(s)/ ground stations or in-flight aircraft or other stations while my UAS aircraft is in flight and I am on the ground controlling it?

Solution Description: Dear Mr.RocUAV,

If your FAA Certificate of Authorization (COA) specifically requires you to maintain radio contact with the control tower, you should apply for a portable Aircraft Station license, and provide a copy of the COA. We will then grant the license with a special condition limiting the authorized communications to communication with the tower. Communications with airmen from the ground are not permitted under the Commission’s current rules.

This article provides information on how to file an application for a new Aircraft Station license in the Universal Licensing System (ULS).

Steps to Filing an Application for a new Aircraft Station license: ... [snip] ...

Hope this helps clear this up.

I do a lot of flying here at the beach. There is a private airstrip a few miles away. A couple of the pilots flying out of there are crazy - doing a lot of low beach flybys over the ocean with some acrobatic maneuvers thrown in for good measure. It's fun to watch. I want to invest in a decent handheld radio so I can monitor activity at this airstrip so I know what's coming.

I did a quick look on Amazon and like the looks of a couple radios. I'm putting it up for discussion here to get a feel for the pros and cons of different units. Does anyone have input?
There is no FCC License required for an Aviation Band Radio "on-board" an aircraft.

Remember the courts and ALJ's have to look at the legislative intent of the Rule/Law when the specific statute is in question. The relevant question to ask, is why the FCC eliminated the requirement for an FCC license on board an aircraft. The simple answer is / was for "increased safety" of all aviators by encouraging pilots to be in radio communication with each other and with ATC. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see any enforcement action coming against a certificated UAS Pilot making a necessary transmissions on an Aviation Band Radio either pursuant to a requirement in an FAA Waiver or such as transmitting to communicate with other "real" pilots of low flying aircraft on a designated frequency such as 02 in Southern California. Like yours, mine is an opinion as there is no case law / guidance on this yet. I'm comfortable in our use of Aviation Band Radios for my agency at this point, but YMMV. BTW we use ICOM A25N radios.

I would also like to point out that the FAA study guide https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf , Chapter 7, pages 41 & 42 states:

The remote pilot should refrain from transmitting over any
active aviation frequency unless there is an emergency situation.
and
To close, a remote pilot is not expected to communicate with other aircraft in the vicinity of an airport, and should not do so unless there is an emergency situation. However, in the interest of safety in the NAS, it is important that a remote pilot understands the aviation language and the types of aircraft that can be operating in the same area as a small UA.

Reactions: S F Ogden
Are you saying that Remote Pilots are not real Pilots?
Think about it, In a high concentration airspace the less radio chatter the better. I fly very close to a helicopter route.
I observe distance. Great distance from the big boys. Of course we are real pilots. It's just the risk factor we incur is very much less.

Reactions: S F Ogden
From the FAA's remote pilot study guide: "a remote pilot is not expected to communicate with other aircraft in the vicinity of an airport, and should not do so unless there is an emergency situation."

That pretty much states it and that is the way that I understand it. Having a radio and using it may also be part of a waiver. I remember a webinar with an official from The FAA and he stated the in applying for a waiver and having a radio available "Your stock just went up"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91