Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Aviation Handheld Radios

No, my comment was/is that the RR license people are getting does not apply for US-based uses. It is like getting a passport to drive across state lines. But if they make people feel better and they don't mind giving the FCC $70, then I guess they can.

Reactions: BigAl07
No, my comment was/is that the RR license people are getting does not apply for US-based uses. It is like getting a passport to drive across state lines. But if they make people feel better and they don't mind giving the FCC $70, then I guess they can.
It doesn't apply to US based "manned " pilots because aircraft already carry FCC licenses.

We'll agree to disagree, that's why it is a grey area.

A wise person once said, "It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not having it."

This activity or drone use are still new to most industries and organization. We are in uncharted waters, irregardless of all the hoorah news we all hear.

Doing our due diligence to keep the airspace space will only gain further acceptance from the industries, government, and community.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. I don't have a hand held radio, nor do I plan on purchasing one. I have no need to listen to ATC, or pilots. Even when I was crop dusting when I was moving from one area to another I flew a minimum of 500 feet and 1000 over populated areas. So if a drone if flying at 400 feet it is no concern to me nor should the drone pilot be concerned about other aircraft. The only exception would be if the drone pilot is flying close to and airport and flying in the vicinity of the approach or departure and if he is he isn't doing it legally.
I think some people are attempting to make drone flying a bit more complicated than it is. Lets face it, we need to keep visual contact with our drones, we need to watch the airspace around where we are flying, and stay out of the way of other aircraft. You really don't need a radio to do that, that's just my take on it.
I understand and appreciate your perspective. I am a rotary wing pilot that has flown in many different environments from nosebleed altitude to scraping the skids on the treetops. A radio for any flying is a great situational awareness tool. No, you don’t “need”it to fly. However, increasing your and everyone else’s safety margin when stuff happens benefits everyone in the airspace. It can increase your reaction time and help you to be more a part of the NAS, rather than an afterthought/pain in the backside for the airspace controller.
Recognizing that radios don’t grow on trees, ultimately each drone pilot has to decide for themselves whether the cost v benefit is justified. My vote is to have one for situational awareness enhancement and for use in emergency situations.

Reactions: Philztoy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM