Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Can I create an Orbit-like circle using Litchi Waypoints?

WMBGVA

Reaction score
What is the best way to approach a target (a piece of real estate) at about 10 feet then at some radius distance from the center of the property climb to 150 feet then immediately go into a smooth orbit with that where you reached altitude point as the edge of the circle? I have done waypoints to get to altitude and orbit from there but I'd like a way to transition from end of the waypoint mission immediately into a true orbit without any pauses or jumps (from editing). Or maybe....is there a way to create a true circle from within Litchi waypoints?

I'd be willing to bet our good friend @sar104 can answer this one in about 2 seconds :)

You must have been reading What is a HELIX. Unless someone has already automated this process (quite possible, but a quick search did not find it), to create a level circular path in Litchi requires several steps:
  1. Define the circular path, of radius r, in cartesian coordinates centered on (0, 0, h) where h is the height above ground. This is easy, parametrically with θ: x = rcosθ, y =rsinθ, z = h.
  2. Transform the cartesian description into lat/long/MSL centered on the desired location, which requires application of a haversine equation or similar.
  3. Convert the resulting coordinate triplets into a KML file. You can automate that on the GPSVisualizer website.
  4. Import the kml file into Litchi. Set curved turns if needed.
(1) can be done in a spreadsheet if necessary. (2) requires a little programming. (3) and (4) are just web-based operations.

Well, that makes sense but I'd hoped that little brain inside my P4 or Litchi's instructions to the P4 would do that for me. Unfortunately, when I'm in the field and the sun is at a certain place and the ground openings to the site (lots of trees where we are) are limited I'd want to check and double check before taking this approach.... which takes time. I might try to experiment with it as it is a common flight scenario for me. Thanks for guidance.

Oh, and I hadn't read "What is a Helix" but will, maybe it will give me some ideas. I was just trying to solve a mission transition issue I've been dealing with this week. Thanks again.

Oh, and I hadn't read "What is a Helix" but will, maybe it will give me some ideas. I was just trying to solve a mission transition issue I've been dealing with this week. Thanks again.

All these things could be integrated into Litchi or a web-based application via an easy-to-use GUI but, as far as I'm aware, no one has yet done that, either as a fun project for someone with time on their hands or a commercial opportunity.

You must have been reading What is a HELIX. Unless someone has already automated this process (quite possible, but a quick search did not find it), to create a level circular path in Litchi requires several steps:
  1. Define the circular path, of radius r, in cartesian coordinates centered on (0, 0, h) where h is the height above ground. This is easy, parametrically with θ: x = rcosθ, y =rsinθ, z = h.
  2. Transform the cartesian description into lat/long/MSL centered on the desired location, which requires application of a haversine equation or similar.
  3. Convert the resulting coordinate triplets into a KML file. You can automate that on the GPSVisualizer website.
(1) can be done in a spreadsheet if necessary. (2) requires a little programming. (3) and (4) are just web-based operations.

1 + 1 = 2

The free dji gs Pro has a orbit ability for $10 add-on if that approach is a bit to complicated

On the Litchi mission hub you can add a structured box/rectangle around your POI using shift-click to add each waypoint (hard to explain, try it and you'll see clean 90deg corners as you add each WP) - then adjust curves to make the flightpath circular or eliptical. It's not perfect but the results are pretty good.

Stack WP 3 directly above WP 2. Adjust speed, curves, and whether to interpolate the transitions!
Aproach Climb Circle 1.jpg
WP 2 and 3.1.jpg

What is the best way to approach a target (a piece of real estate) at about 10 feet then at some radius distance from the center of the property climb to 150 feet then immediately go into a smooth orbit with that where you reached altitude point as the edge of the circle? I have done waypoints to get to altitude and orbit from there but I'd like a way to transition from end of the waypoint mission immediately into a true orbit without any pauses or jumps (from editing). Or maybe....is there a way to create a true circle from within Litchi waypoints?

Hi WMBGVA,

If you are willing to try our Drone Harmony, you might find the option you need. One way to do what you like is to plan some key shots with a "Manual WP" mission and then use the "smooth plan" option on it to get a smooth plan passing through the same shots. The result will be a nice cinematic shot. Here is a screenshot illustrating this:

flipSmooth1.png
flipSmooth2.png

This feature is designed to create creative complex cinematic shots. There is also an option to select the anchor shots by lining them up flying the drone manually.

Hope this helps!

DH Team

Hi sar104,

The process has indeed already been automatized. It's called the helix flight plan in the Drone Harmony plan catalog. Here is an illustration:

Screenshot_20170727-182723.png
Screenshot_20170727-183405.png

There is a variety of parameters you can control and you have immediate visual feedback to see how they affect your helix.

Best,

DH Team

Hi sar104,

The process has indeed already been automatized. It's called the helix flight plan in the Drone Harmony plan catalog. Here is an illustration:

View attachment 299
View attachment 300

There is a variety of parameters you can control and you have immediate visual feedback to see how they affect your helix.

Best,

DH Team

The discussion in this thread was about a radial approach climbing to a circular orbit. The helix thread that I linked to discusses a axially horizontal helix, which is a quite different problem.

Negative sir,
At no point in the OP does he state helix or spiral flight path. On the other hand he does state smooth orbit and true circle as descriptors. In fact the title of the thread includes orbit like circle.

Just because you think differently and interpreted the OP in one complex manner of a possible flight path, it does not preclude the initial assumption that approach the target at 10 feet could be interpreted to mean 10 foot AGL then rise to 150 and complete a smooth orbit flight path. He even gives you another clue in English, at some radius distance from the center of the property, again a possible clue to initiate a vertical climb from 10 feet AGL to 150 feet AGL then immediately go into a smooth orbit.

Visualize the side of a cylinder as opposed to an advanced approximation of a golden ratio 3D spiral that you so eloquently argue for. Your approach is timeless as the golden ratio spiral when expressed in a manner that incorporates the Z axis as a function of time is much more artistic. But I somehow tend to doubt he put near as much thought into his question as you did in your numerous attempts to answer.

And I bet he even spent less time thinking about his question than I spent putting together my reply to your response to my initial post. All that aside I am very impressed with your mathematical analysis skills and ability to conceptualze intricate geometric flight missions.

I look forward to learning much more from you in your future posts. BTW thank you for turning me on to Drone Harmony and the ability to fly a preprogrammed vortex flight path with gimbal settings and either inward facing or outward facing camera positions. Sometimes KISS is the better answer.

I do have one additional question, can that vortex path be changed to a cylindrical profile like the stripes on the outside of a barber pole?

Negative sir,
At no point in the OP does he state helix or spiral flight path. On the other hand he does state smooth orbit and true circle as descriptors. In fact the title of the thread includes orbit like circle.

Just because you think differently and interpreted the OP in one complex manner of a possible flight path, it does not preclude the initial assumption that approach the target at 10 feet could be interpreted to mean 10 foot AGL then rise to 150 and complete a smooth orbit flight path. He even gives you another clue in English, at some radius distance from the center of the property, again a possible clue to initiate a vertical climb from 10 feet AGL to 150 feet AGL then immediately go into a smooth orbit.

Visualize the side of a cylinder as opposed to an advanced approximation of a golden ratio 3D spiral that you so eloquently argue for. Your approach is timeless as the golden ratio spiral when expressed in a manner that incorporates the Z axis as a function of time is much more artistic. But I somehow tend to doubt he put near as much thought into his question as you did in your numerous attempts to answer.

And I bet he even spent less time thinking about his question than I spent putting together my reply to your response to my initial post. All that aside I am very impressed with your mathematical analysis skills and ability to conceptualze intricate geometric flight missions.

I look forward to learning much more from you in your future posts. BTW thank you for turning me on to Drone Harmony and the ability to fly a preprogrammed vortex flight path with gimbal settings and either inward facing or outward facing camera positions. Sometimes KISS is the better answer.

I do have one additional question, can that vortex path be changed to a cylindrical profile like the stripes on the outside of a barber pole?

Yes, this is in fact what you get with default settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM