Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Cell Towers-What equipment r u using?

I just talked with a guy working on one of our local cell towers and he said they are having some of their people trained and licensed. He said they had two inspire 2s, most likely with the X5 camera.
I think many of the cell and power companies are going in house, when you think about it that is really the smartest way to go. Same with the Fire and LEO folks.

Interesting conversation. I'm fascinated by any kind of tower, so I'm filming them a lot. 90% of the time, there's no issue, but once in a while I get the "Strong A/C Interference" message. And one time, I had a complete disconnect. Thankfully RTH worked fine. I'm flying a Mavic Air. Anyone know if the Mavic Pro or Pro2 would do better in such an environment?

Interesting conversation. I'm fascinated by any kind of tower, so I'm filming them a lot. 90% of the time, there's no issue, but once in a while I get the "Strong A/C Interference" message. And one time, I had a complete disconnect. Thankfully RTH worked fine. I'm flying a Mavic Air. Anyone know if the Mavic Pro or Pro2 would do better in such an environment?

No, they all use the same frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. Why in it's infinite wisdom the FCC decide drones will use the same frequencies as Cell phones, and routers is beyond me. The cell tower is putting out a lot more power than your transmitter and that is why you can lose control. Same thing with the high power routers, they use the same frequencies. I have had routers lock up my Inspire 2 and needed to use RTH to recover it. Each transmitter and receiver have a digital code to sync the transmitter and receiver and that is why so many devices can operate at the same frequency. The problem comes when your drone encounters a transmitter that is more powerful or transmitting more power than your transmitter and cell towers, and high power routers can do just that.
There are many more frequencies available that would be better suited for UAV operations but big brother isn't going to let us use them.

I have spoken to one tower pilot and he suggested a P4Pv2 or an i1v2 or i2. The M2 is giving promising results. Out West by request of the Contractor they are waning a X5 on the drone platform. Some do i2's and others a M200/210. It all depends on the client.

I have spoken to one tower pilot and he suggested a P4Pv2 or an i1v2 or i2. The M2 is giving promising results. Out West by request of the Contractor they are waning a X5 on the drone platform. Some do i2's and others a M200/210. It all depends on the client.
Thanks. Just got me an M600 Pro , own a Z3 but looking for a Z30. Want to stay well away from those towers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM