Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Clients wants aerial Real Estate pics for $1.42 each

Perhaps we could make a "Hall of Shame" section on this site? I doubt we'd run out of content like the above.

Maybe, but somewhere along the line someone would get their feelings hurt and we would get sued....America; what a country.

There will always be those that get paid to drive their personal vehicles being paid $30.00/hour thinking they are making great money. Many of them have yet to learn it costs them $0.80 to $1.20/mile in vehicle expenses. At 60 mph they would be losing $30.00/hour.

Check AAA vehicle operational cost statistics for what you drive. They have been providing actual /mile cost breakdowns for different makes and models for many years.

Finance hacker excludes cost of insurance, registration, and inspection fees, which are most certainly required to operate a vehicle and part of vehicle overhead expense. If you owned a business that operated multiple vehicles you would not ignore them or list them as misc. expenses.

BTW, I used a van or pick up as an example vehicle in my earlier post. In any case, if a client was offering you $2.00/photo for 10 photos and you drove 10 miles each way to shoot them, after deducting vehicle and equipment costs, how much was left after expenses to cover labor and profit after performing the shoot?

That was the point being made, you ended up paying out of pocket to give the client pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Check AAA vehicle operational cost statistics for what you drive. They have been providing actual /mile cost breakdowns for different makes and models for many years.

Finance hacker excludes cost of insurance, registration, and inspection fees, which are most certainly required to operate a vehicle and part of vehicle overhead expense. If you owned a business that operated multiple vehicles you would not ignore them or list them as misc. expenses.

BTW, I used a van or pick up as an example vehicle in my earlier post. In any case, if a client was offering you $2.00/photo for 10 photos and you drove 10 miles each way to shoot them, after deducting vehicle and equipment costs, how much was left after expenses to cover labor and profit after performing the shoot?

That was the point being made, you ended up paying out of pocket to give the client pictures.

But math . . . . . . LOL

LOL math.... Cost of private ball room dance lessons: $125/hr. Cost of golf lessons $90/hr. Cost of running a poorly planned drone imaging business $30/hr. I say that's pretty cheap entertainment. :)

I understand your point, but your mileage costs are not reasonable, especially for an economy car (which is all that is necessary to haul a drone).

Many courier services charge 75 cents per mile (round trip miles) for using a car, and that pays for the maintenance, overhead, profit, and a wage for the driver.

I figure my Toyota Corolla costs to be about 23 cents per mile.

I couldn't find any AAA figures for individual vehicles. I did find average costs which includes luxury cars and low gas mileage vehicles.

I would not do a $20 job even for my next door neighbor. But for me a 20 mile round trip would cost about $5.00.

Reactions: R Martin
I guess it all comes down to individuals knowing what they are worth and the minimum living standards they find tolerable.

For me rice and beans can be a pleasant diversion, but I wouldn’t want to base my diet on them, while an economy car is great for short trips back and forth to the grocery store. Ramen is never acceptable and a long trip (>30 miles) to anywhere would be in a larger vehicle.

We can’t reach for the top while trying to hold on to the bottom.

Reactions: OFPMatt and BigAl07
I guess it all comes down to individuals knowing what they are worth and the minimum living standards they find tolerable.

For me rice and beans can be a pleasant diversion, but I wouldn’t want to base my diet on them, while an economy car is great for short trips back and forth to the grocery store. Ramen is never acceptable and a long trip (>30 miles) to anywhere would be in a larger vehicle.

We can’t reach for the top while trying to hold on to the bottom.

You're changing the subject. I didn't say anything about accepting jobs for "rice and beans." That's a separate issue. All I said is that I dispute your numbers for mileage costs, especially for economy cars.

A little “drilling down” into the AAA’s cost break downs will provide average cost of operation for a Corolla as it is one of the vehicles listed to form the small sedan category.

I’ll not beat the horse or the cow, just suggest where it should look to find what it needs.

A little “drilling down” into the AAA’s cost break downs will provide average cost of operation for a Corolla as it is one of the vehicles listed to form the small sedan category.

I’ll not beat the horse or the cow, just suggest where it should look to find what it needs.
just having a little fun

Hi all. So I’m new here but I’d love to throw in my two cents worth. I’m a real estate photographer here in Southern California and I am currently under contract with TourFactory. I do 2-4 drone shoots a day and can make $200-$400 daily on a good day. This typically involves me shooting the house inside, outside and 6-10 aerial drone photos. This has worked well for me as the agents like having one photographer do both. It delivers a very consistent look and feel. Last year I shoot over 750 homes.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's 2.05 homes a day, having a perfect day every day???????
750/365
Lets say 10 minutes to shoot an aerial, times 750 homes. that's 125 flight hours????
No that’s last years numbers on houses only. This year so far I’ve done 271 drone shoots and a few more with another drone that didn’t track my flight information. So probably at 300

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN