Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Clueless, Careless and Criminal

Earthman

Reaction score
I attended the annual Pennsylvania Aviation Conference last week in Pittsburgh, PA, which included representatives from PA airports, the FAA, lawmakers, law enforcement, industry, and drone advocacy groups from across the state and nation. Although the primary focus of the conference was airport operations, there were 7 of 28 breakout sessions during the three-day conference that dealt with drones. These included the following:
  • Changes in the Aviation Insurance Market, Including UAS,
  • The Future of National Airspace, (UAS) Remote ID & UTM,
  • Integration/Mitigation of UAS at Airports - Detection & Intervention Update,
  • UAS Operation After Recent State & Federal Legislation,
  • R&D in the UAS Industry - The Latest in PA,
  • Increased Demand for UAS in Commercial Industries, and
  • UAS Safety via Industry Standards & Training.
I did not attend all of the drone-related breakout sessions, but my two most significant takeaways are as follows:

1. The FAA is serious about integrating drones into the USA airspace system for all users, and
  2. The FAA and airport operators are most concerned about mitigating the "clueless, careless and criminal" (my favorite quote from the conference) drone use around airports, and it is these folks who are driving new restrictions and laws. The airport operators and regulators are not concerned about Part 107 commercial operators who tend to follow the rules.
Sorry, that's all I have time to post, but it was a good conference.

Clueless - Include the basic FAA rules for flying on the packaging of ever drone sold.
Careless - Including a warning that a fine can be imposed if FAA rules are violated
Criminal - Including a warning that repeated violations of FAA rules increase the fine and can include jail time.

Clueless - Include the basic FAA rules for flying on the packaging of ever drone sold.
Careless - Including a warning that a fine can be imposed if FAA rules are violated
Criminal - Including a warning that repeated violations of FAA rules increase the fine and can include jail time.

That only works if they can read. It's actually a lot simpler. Just require that everyone complete basic regs training prior to being allowed to purchase a UAV. Then everyone is aware. The onus then falls to the FAA to enforce the regs. The FAA is understaffed just like any other governmental agency. Limited or no enforcement leads to more idiots with a drone in the approach pattern or shutting down firefighting ops. Leading to stiffer regs. Leading to.....
Common sense and a basic reading skills are all that is needed, but wait, that is no longer in vogue.....

Last edited:
That only works if they can read. It's actually a lot simpler. Just require that everyone complete basic regs training prior to being allowed to purchase a UAV. Then everyone is aware. The onus then falls to the FAA to enforce the regs. The FAA is understaffed just like any other governmental agency. Limited or no enforcement leads to more idiots with a drone in the approach pattern or shutting down firefighting ops. Leading to stiffer regs. Leading to.....
Common sense and a basic reading skills are all that is needed, but wait, that is no longer in vogue.....
"Common sense and a basic reading skills..." Man, the premise is flawed.:)

My understanding is sales of consumer drones took a hit in 2018 and it probably will be the same for 2019. If you really want to see the bottom fall out try requiring mandatory regulation training prior to purchase. Let's not get carried away. You can print the rules on the side of a box in bold characters if you like. Mandatory training to buy a $100 drone? Not happening.

My understanding is sales of consumer drones took a hit in 2018 and it probably will be the same for 2019. If you really want to see the bottom fall out try requiring mandatory regulation training prior to purchase. Let's not get carried away. You can print the rules on the side of a box in bold characters if you like. Mandatory training to buy a $100 drone? Not happening.

I, as a pilot in the NAS, don't give a flip about drone sales. I DO care about the safety of the airspace I am operating in for my business. If it deters the casual idiot from purchasing a drone who is incapable of reading, understanding and following very simple rules and regulations, then so be it.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I, as a pilot in the NAS, don't give a flip about drone sales. I DO care about the safety of the airspace I am operating in for my business. If it deters the casual idiot from purchasing a drone who is incapable of reading, understanding and following very simple rules and regulations, then so be it.

As a sUAS and a manned aircraft pilot I understand your "don't give a flip" comment. But neither of us is at the center of the NAS universe and the drone manufacturers and the people they employ to make and sell them do give a flip about losing market share.

Beyond that the NAS belongs to the people. The airspace rules are created to enhance safety while recognizing individual freedom to have access to this national resource (sort of like laws governing firearms, motor vehicles, etc.).

If you want to talk about a test, how about a test to show you're qualified to vote or to have a pool in your backyard or operate a chainsaw or swing a golf club on a golf course. Did you know there are 40,000 people injured by golf balls and flying clubs every year?

O.k., back to drones. There is a class of drone that poses minimal if any risk of damage or causing an injury (under 250 grams). There are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of them in use that have never cause an issue to anyone. I don't think we should be creating a demand for testing in a situation where no legitimate threat to safety exist.

Last edited:
I recently had to renew my Part 107 to remain current. Only 40 questions this time and others suggested there were no questions on weather or load and balance...there were on the one issued to me. That’s not really my point but while I was taking the exam it dawned that anyone can take the test and pass but the FAA has no idea whether you can actually pilot a drone. Im curious if any of you guys think there should be a flight demonstration or simulator operation to verify you know what you are doing? Let the dialogue begin!

I recently had to renew my Part 107 to remain current. Only 40 questions this time and others suggested there were no questions on weather or load and balance...there were on the one issued to me. That’s not really my point but while I was taking the exam it dawned that anyone can take the test and pass but the FAA has no idea whether you can actually pilot a drone. Im curious if any of you guys think there should be a flight demonstration or simulator operation to verify you know what you are doing? Let the dialogue begin!
Since a 5 year old can fly a drone, as we all know, I find any further FAA mandates pointless. The problem with drones is stupidity. No test will fix that.

The equivalent of Part 107 in Canada is the Advanced Operations pilot certificate. That requires a Flight Review demonstrating both ability to fly the RPA and also full familiarity with the regs, NOTAMSs, weather reports, airspace categories, and the preparation of an effective professional-level Site Survey (enough for an application for a Special Flight Operation Certificate).

I don't see much point in an exam - especially online where you can have all the references and Google available - if there's no Flight Review required. They don't do it with PPAER or ATPL...

No flight test is needed. The purpose of the written test is to demonstrate that you studied and understood the regulations and pilot body of knowledge well enough to know that the airspace is not your private playground and that not following the rules can have serious consequences for you and others.

The FAA doesn’t care if you can fly a drone (yet). There are already enough laws and lawyers to seriously mess with your life and behavior when you ignore the rules, which is not something that the clueless, careless and criminal think about.

The issues that have raised public safety concerns haven't centered around the ability to pilot a drone. The issues raised have center around where and when you can fly. I don't think a test to demonstrate your ability to handle the controls is need or required to enhance safety especially given the controls would be relatively simple for the latest couple generations that have been playing video games for the last 20 ~ 30 years. I've watch my grandson play Fortnite. Controlling my Mavic Pro would be a piece of cake.

The issues that have raised public safety concerns haven't centered around the ability to pilot a drone. The issues raised have center around where and when you can fly. I don't think a test to demonstrate your ability to handle the controls is need or required to enhance safety especially given the controls would be relatively simple for the latest couple generations that have been playing video games for the last 20 ~ 30 years. I've watch my grandson play Fortnite. Controlling my Mavic Pro would be a piece of cake.

Well yes and no. To really have control, you need to fly one of the beasts orientated toward you so you instinctively know left is right and vice versa-without thinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy