Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Commercial pricing and rate structure questions..

Sonic Pilot

Reaction score
Good morning all...

I am a retired Commercial Helicopter pilot looking to get into the drone business. I'm currently looking at the Typhoon H Plus as my primary platform for getting started.

Generally speaking, how are most drone companies setting up their rate structure? Are they charging a "Flight Time" rate and another rate for "Ground Time?" Or perhaps just a flat rate for a job?

What are the going rates for photo/filming and/or tower or structure inspections?

I realize that different markets may have different pricing, but I am just trying to get a general sense as to what the price "range" might be for providing this type of service professionally.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Is there a specific reason why you have chosen the Typhoon as your aircraft of choice? I'm not saying it's a bad choice but there are much better IMHO.

In terms of "Pricing" that depends on your market and the Industry you are in. Often times Tower Inspections are a "per tower fee" which is fine if no travel is involved but you can lose your bottom $$ once all of your local towers are done.

We price our jobs per job and this includes travel (to/from), preplanning, time on site, post processing, and any additional time expected to complete the "Order".

A Real Estate photo shoot is much quicker (easier and cheaper) than a large Orthomosaic project and priced accordingly.

Here are a couple of links that I think you might be able to utilize to get more information:

Good luck and again WELCOME to the forum :)

Reactions: RGB and Hawkwind
First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Is there a specific reason why you have chosen the Typhoon as your aircraft of choice? I'm not saying it's a bad choice but there are much better IMHO.

In terms of "Pricing" that depends on your market and the Industry you are in. Often times Tower Inspections are a "per tower fee" which is fine if no travel is involved but you can lose your bottom $$ once all of your local towers are done.

We price our jobs per job and this includes travel (to/from), preplanning, time on site, post processing, and any additional time expected to complete the "Order".

A Real Estate photo shoot is much quicker (easier and cheaper) than a large Orthomosaic project and priced accordingly.

Here are a couple of links that I think you might be able to utilize to get more information:

Good luck and again WELCOME to the forum :)
Thank you Big AI07 for your reply!!!

Regarding my choice of the H Plus...I'm not committed to it yet, but it does seem to be an excellent platform for filming/ and inspection type work, and at an affordable price. What might be a better option.

Thank you Big AI07 for your reply!!!

Regarding my choice of the H Plus...I'm not committed to it yet, but it does seem to be an excellent platform for filming/ and inspection type work, and at an affordable price. What might be a better option.
You're very welcome. I hope the links help some.

I'm fairly experienced with the Typhoon series and to be honest, I'm not impressed. I still have an H-520 (solely used for Emergency Services/SAR operations) that is a solid aircraft but it doesn't compare (unfortunately) to the DJI series of aircraft. While there are many in our industry that rave over the Typhoon I'm not one of them and the fact that many 3rd party apps don't support them ads into my reasoning as well.

Depending on what field you plan to pursue I would suggest either Phantom4 (RTK if you can swing it) or the Mavic 2 Pro.

If mapping and inspections are your goal then the Phantom4 with Mechanical Shutter. Not because it's the best but some inspection jobs and mapping clients require a Mechanical Shutter High Resolution Payload and the P4 provides that. Also it's one heck of a Work Horse that won't disappoint.

If you're more inclined to "Photography" (Real Estate, Construction, etc etc) you can do very well with the Mavic 2 Pro (or even the Mavic Air2S which is a lot of BANG for the buck) which is my personal preference for most of my work. Very good performer, very transportable, and it's easy on the wallet.

Reactions: JimD
Hello,

I am new to the Drone business and am seeking some practical advice regarding what may be considered reasonable pricing rates for Cinematography drone services.
While there are a number of factors one must consider when trying to determine a pricing structure, I believe it is also vitally important to understand what the market is actually charging for a given service. Knowing this goes a long way in determining if I am able to offer a competitive rate in an attempt to sustain a viable business.

I do realize that there may be no "standard" price and that price will vary depending on many factors (location, equipment used, etc..). What I am seeking to understand is generally what the range is for Drone services in this market space.
Also, how pricing is usually structured. Is it typically a flat-rate for a given project? Or perhaps an hourly rate? Or...???

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143