Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Construction Drone Work

jasonjlee

Reaction score
Website
www.jasonjlee.co
Hi,

I have flown in the real estate industry for about an year and made some extra money while doing it.
I started looking for a different avenue to work in, and I came across this forum recently.
There are several construction sites near where I live, but I don't know how I can get started.
Could somebody give me some insight from their experiences in working for construction companies?

I drive around looking for new construction projects, asked if they would be interested in time-line video and photography. Some said yes others said how much, and several no's. I was fortunate to have an Architect friend of mine help me with a new construction project. I'm still doing a time-line on it. Marketing is your best friend, a web site showing your projects.
I amuse you are 107 certified?
There are times I go out to video projects just to have it in my portfolio. Insurance is a must.
Purchase a hard hat, steel toed boots and a construction vest. The boss will like it..
When I'm at the construction site I causally approach someone, engage in a simple conversation about the project and what my intentions are then ask him "who's the boss" That's just the basics.:cool:

I am 107 certified, and I also have a portfolio that I've been working on.
Most of my demo reels are for real estate, and not for other applications. I'm wondering if I can just walk into a construction site and start flying without permission from the "boss".

If you want to get those awesome jobs you'll want to have something in your portfolio that impresses them and shows how your product can add value to their project. Keep in mind that many times these projects get multiple people a week offering to fly their job site trying to win them over. You've got to sell yourself and your final product or you're just another wanna-be off the street.

Most of my demo reels are for real estate, and not for other applications. I'm wondering if I can just walk into a construction site and start flying without permission from the "boss".

That's called TRESPASSING and will get you nothing but hardship.

Is there an app like Dronebase that shows which properties, or in this case, construction sites that could potentially want aerial videos/photos?

Negative. This is one area you'll have to hone your salesman skills and pound the ground to earn these jobs. Don't get discouraged when you don't get to talk to the "Boss" or when they aren't interested. It's a tough nut to crack but if you do get in you'll be glad you did. Just make sure you have the proper insurance, attire, and skills to do this safely.

Many of my clients will not accept Verify. If you get busy and do lots of work it would be easy to run up a good size bill using Verify. I use Aviation Specialty Insurance and highly suggest their services.

You can if you don't mind getting beat up.:D

Reactions: BigAl07
Pick a Sunday when the site is empty for safety reasons, and take off and launch from public property and get acquainted with grid flying and post processing. Set up some perspective (oblique) images of the site that are appealing to you and set way-points and take the same photos month after month. This will give you good practice and something to show in your portfolio.

Reactions: AH-1G and Maddog
1A4AFE94-5069-4E0C-9429-2D0CFF853C4E.png I started off with construction (progress monitoring) by just asking superintendent/foreman if I could take aerial pictures and mapping of there site. I went around local sites and offered them the photos at no cost; some were excepting others were like,” beat it.” My intentions was to get a portfolio started and my website designed, and all the other logistics... so I didn’t care if I was shot down...needless to say months later I got some hits, and it’s been good so far...

I go out weekly to 3 construction sites, and take aerial stills (for 360x180pano) from different cardinal points around the structures, then send it to the client and they do the stitching(I can stitch as well...ptgui)

Construction is where it’s at, at least for me. Weekly shoots, mean getting paid weekly... and these jobs usually last A LOT longer than your typical RE shoot. Keep in mind I’m in San Jose, Ca. So construction is huge out here and access to Immediate approval from LAANC via airmap, helps out tremendously.

I’m using a P4Pro and I have I1 Pro x5 as a back up. My Mavic Pro does get some commercial work, but usually as b roll footage(used it for a few wedding shoots) sample vid

I also do a hand full of jobs on dronersio, believe it or not, I’ve managed to get a lot of gigs from...

Sorry for any typos, on my iPhone (spellcheck is a b!+€#)

But if you launch outside of the construction site do they control the airspace?

No they do not control the airspace but if you're trying to gain them as a future client flying over their construction site in order to get around "trespassing" is a horrible idea.

Remember we are trying to be responsible and PROFESSIONAL in everything we do.

No they do not control the airspace but if you're trying to gain them as a future client flying over their construction site in order to get around "trespassing" is a horrible idea.

Remember we are trying to be responsible and PROFESSIONAL in everything we do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM