Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Do you do any post-processing for broadcast?

Perch

Reaction score
I am flying a DJI P4A and finding that it seems to have a little too much detail in the video. I have started transcoding the files to ProRes. But I still get a strange look to the video when broadcast. It's like there is too much detail in the shot causing some strange vibrating within the video - especially in video with a lot of detail, like trees/leaves. Looks fine on edit, but not when it gets to broadcast. Shooting 4k h264 progressive. Editing 1080p. Exporting ProRes out of PPro CC 2020/2019. All my other 4k cameras I can bump up the detail a little in Lumetri and not have this issue at all, even with a DJI OSMO. I've looked for a details setting for the Phantom, but cannot find one. Anyone else see this at all or do any processing before post - or have any tips for the drone video?
Thanks!

I don't have any broadcast experience, so I'm not sure I can be of much help... However, here are some thoughts you can check on if you haven't already:
  • are you using ND filters to ensure you are following the 180 degree rule and setting your shutter speed to twice your frame rate?
  • are you shooting in the same frame rate with the drone as you are using for your broadcast?
  • have you played with the style settings in the camera to see if adjusting the sharpness, contrast, or saturation would resolve what you are seeing?

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for the reply. No ND filters on the camera. I shoot 29.97 for broadcast. Frame rate typically doesn't affect the image like that - possibly speed changes could, but I don't see that happen anywhere else either.
I'll check the style settings. I didn't see the sharpness in there. But I'll check again. That was my first thought before.
Thanks!
TC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143