Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Downtown Airspace Waiver

Just a heads up, it appears that the FAA has stopped giving 107.41 Waivers and instead is issuing wide area authorizations that essentially say, stick to the Grid Altitudes. We can get coordination for public safety reasons if the grid altitudes don't work. Our waiver request came back as an Authorization with no sections (ie 107.41 ) waived. It was good for 2 years instead of the 4 years for our night waiver. YMMV, but that is what I have been told is the current direction of travel for the FAA.
OK, so what language do I use if I want a waiver for this class D airspace for a couple of years? I didn’t know that was possible but makes total sense and certainly much more efficient project planning.

OK, so what language do I use if I want a waiver for this class D airspace for a couple of years? I didn’t know that was possible but makes total sense and certainly much more efficient project planning.
You would have to explain the procedures that you would use to create an "equivalent level of safety". My operations will probably be different than yours, hence the lack of guidance on verbiage from the FAA. A couple of things, without knowing how / where / when you operate: 1. Use a V/O and explain how the V/O is trained, how you AND the V/O will identify hazards a. On the ground (ie people) b. Obstacles to flight c. Manned aircraft d. Other UAS. 2. Explain how you and the V/O will communicate and what your back up communication plan is in case of failure. 3. Consider a procedure to limit the distance from you to UAS. 4. Add a requirement that all operations cease upon identification of unexpected hazard.

Additionally you will need to explain your operations in detail and to the level desired by the particular individual reviewing your waiver and the local air traffic manager. It's still a hit an miss process.

Reactions: CashCache
You would have to explain the procedures that you would use to create an "equivalent level of safety". My operations will probably be different than yours, hence the lack of guidance on verbiage from the FAA. A couple of things, without knowing how / where / when you operate: 1. Use a V/O and explain how the V/O is trained, how you AND the V/O will identify hazards a. On the ground (ie people) b. Obstacles to flight c. Manned aircraft d. Other UAS. 2. Explain how you and the V/O will communicate and what your back up communication plan is in case of failure. 3. Consider a procedure to limit the distance from you to UAS. 4. Add a requirement that all operations cease upon identification of unexpected hazard.

Additionally you will need to explain your operations in detail and to the level desired by the particular individual reviewing your waiver and the local air traffic manager. It's still a hit an miss process.
That’s very helpful! Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV