Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Deploy Issue

R.Perry

Reaction score
I have encountered a issue with using drone deploy and litchi. I flew a three minute way point flight with litchi. Returned and landed, closed out litchi and started Drone Deploy and launched. My tablet ended up becoming sporadic, I told DD to disengage and it wouldn't, ended up needing to hit RTH on the controller to regain control.

Landed, shut down the drone, controller, and installed fresh batteries. Restarted and loaded Drone Deploy and my mapping, launched and the mapping mission went flawlessly. I knew I had shut down Litchi prior to starting Drone Deploy. Later I repeated the same routine, flew a waypoint with litchi, then launched DD, same thing, lost control of the drone until I hit RTH on the controller.

Now DD works perfectly as long as I haven't flown a Litchi flight previously without shutting everything down before starting DD.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues using these two programs.

Needless to say I don't fly a litchi mission prior to flying a DD mission.

That's interesting, I use Go4 for my pre-flights and testing, but very little otherwise. Well, lesson learned.

Android or Apple?

If Android sometimes a default app gets assigned that will open when you plug in the USB to the controller that can interfere. I think I had to find that setting and make sure none of the apps were default.

You might look in settings and see if you can use power saving features to restrict apps from running in the background, that way when you kill them they stay dead.

I've never used DD, only Pix4D. Pix4D has a helper app that runs as well to link to the drone (Ctrl+DJI) you have to be careful of, does DD?

The only problems I've had with Pix4D was when I tried to open both it and Go4, I couldn't get Pix4D to connect. So fortunately my issues were I couldn't get started rather than get in the air and have it freak out.

Actually of all 3 apps I use, Go4 gives me the most hassle. I'm learning there is an order to things it likes. Controller on and linked to the aircraft, then open the app I plan to use and have it running, then plug in the USB to the controller seems to have the best results for me so far to avoid it getting all confused and having to restart apps.

Reactions: TreeLineView
I actually have both Android and Apple, but normally use the Apple tablet.
You need to take this to the DroneDeploy forum. I am a moderator and have direct contact with there support team and engineering departments. Be prepared to provide a lot more information as far as different models and firmwares. Just follow the guide when submitting a topic and tag @michaelL.

Reactions: R.Perry
You need to take this to the DroneDeploy forum. I am a moderator and have direct contact with there support team and engineering departments. Be prepared to provide a lot more information as far as different models and firmwares. Just follow the guide when submitting a topic and tag @michaelL.

I've already discussed this with Drone Deploy, their support has been terrific.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
I've already discussed this with Drone Deploy, their support has been terrific.
Support has always been one of their strong points. Were you able to get it resolved? If not I still suggest the forum because not only can we interact with them, we can also get more practical experience of the issue and even coordinate testing for future app upgrades.

Hi chasco, yes, with the iPad you can't just close out the app by flicking it off the screen, and then go to Drone Deploy. The iPad needs to be restarted and the transmitter and drone needs to be restarted. I'm flying the Inspire 2 and haven't tried it on the Mavic. Even though you shut down Litchi, it leaves garbage running in the background for some reason.
I have just changed my procedure, I make my first flight the Mapping mission and second my way point video flight, shutting everything down between missions, problem solved. I don't know how to do a core dump on the iPad to see what Litchi leave behind when the app is closed, I'm still working on figuring that one out. If any of you Apple gurus know how to do that please let me know.

I'll get on the DD forum.

I have encountered a issue with using drone deploy and litchi. I flew a three minute way point flight with litchi. Returned and landed, closed out litchi and started Drone Deploy and launched. My tablet ended up becoming sporadic, I told DD to disengage and it wouldn't, ended up needing to hit RTH on the controller to regain control.

Landed, shut down the drone, controller, and installed fresh batteries. Restarted and loaded Drone Deploy and my mapping, launched and the mapping mission went flawlessly. I knew I had shut down Litchi prior to starting Drone Deploy. Later I repeated the same routine, flew a waypoint with litchi, then launched DD, same thing, lost control of the drone until I hit RTH on the controller.

Now DD works perfectly as long as I haven't flown a Litchi flight previously without shutting everything down before starting DD.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues using these two programs.

Needless to say I don't fly a litchi mission prior to flying a DD mission.

Hi R.Perry, switching apps within the same day/flight is risky. Essentially, all DJI apps use the DJI's SDK (software development kit) to connect to the drone. Each app has a separate copy of this SDK so each one connects to the drone separately. Even though the DJI SDK stipulates that the connection between the app and the drone is lost when the app enters background or is killed, it is possible that the app started a mission on the drone with the setting 'Continue Mission' on losing connection. In this scenario, the drone will continue executing the mission from the previous app even though it is now connected to the new app. So killing the app is not sufficient, you need to restart all systems - drone, controller, app to ensure a clean start.

We're also curious to learn why you choose to use 2 different apps for mapping and waypoints?

Last edited:
Hi chasco, yes, with the iPad you can't just close out the app by flicking it off the screen, and then go to Drone Deploy. The iPad needs to be restarted and the transmitter and drone needs to be restarted. I'm flying the Inspire 2 and haven't tried it on the Mavic. Even though you shut down Litchi, it leaves garbage running in the background for some reason.
I have just changed my procedure, I make my first flight the Mapping mission and second my way point video flight, shutting everything down between missions, problem solved. I don't know how to do a core dump on the iPad to see what Litchi leave behind when the app is closed, I'm still working on figuring that one out. If any of you Apple gurus know how to do that please let me know.

I'll get on the DD forum.
With the iPad you can double-click the home button to get the icons up, swipe off DroneDeploy and then reopen it. You may have already tried that and it didn't solve you problem, but I do it all the time to get another mission started or switch to Litchi.

So killing the app is not sufficient, you need to restart all systems - drone, controller, app to ensure a clean start.

Exiting programmed flight mode (via controller switch) between apps should clear out any junk. No need for power cycle, fresh batteries, etc. At least that has been my experience for going on 5 years.

Exiting programmed flight mode (via controller switch) between apps should clear out any junk. No need for power cycle, fresh batteries, etc. At least that has been my experience for going on 5 years.

Thanks for sharing your experience Dave. Assuming you have connection to the drone, this will exit any mission running on the drone but it might leave the first app in a hanging state - depending on the version of DJI SDK the app is using. So restarting the first app is still critical after switching the flight mode through the controller. Also, some drones (e.g. Mavic) do not have the PAF modes on the remote controller, so it's important to remember to toggle the sports mode switch instead.

We still feel switching between apps is an unnecessary risk, not too mention the hidden re-learning / training costs of keeping up to date with 2 applications. We've designed Hammer to include both mapping and waypoints missions, but always curious to learn why switching between apps might still be preferable.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Assuming you have connection to the drone, this will exit any mission running on the drone but it might leave the first app in a hanging state - depending on the version of DJI SDK the app is using.

I understand settings imposed by an app, like camera, RTH height, etc., may persist after the app disconnects. But are you saying that autonomous flight commands will also persist even when cleared by changing flight mode? Thanks for you contribution on the inner-workings of the sdk!

I understand settings imposed by an app, like camera, RTH height, etc., may persist after the app disconnects. But are you saying that autonomous flight commands will also persist even when cleared by changing flight mode? Thanks for you contribution on the inner-workings of the sdk!
Yeah, that does not happen on iOS. Maybe Android because a simple swipe does not kill the process entirely. It is good to have an app killer like Kaspersky. In Android, swipe the app, go to home and then kill processes. Of course the DJI SDK remains connected if the iPad is connected to the RC, but over the last 4 years there have been absolutely no crossover actions when doing things in the right sequence.

I'm not suggesting he is incorrect in any way but it does not escape my notice HammerMissions has a vested personal intrest in discouraging multiple app use in favor of the app they promote, which may or may not provide all the functions or usability a pilot desires. I'd take that advice with a grain of salt.

I have good and valid reasons for the apps I use. Affordability, usability, performance, and I find it difficult to believe any one app will provide all of those without falling short on one.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
I'm not suggesting he is incorrect in any way but it does not escape my notice HammerMissions has a vested personal intrest in discouraging multiple app use in favor of the app they promote, which may or may not provide all the functions or usability a pilot desires. I'd take that advice with a grain of salt.

I have good and valid reasons for the apps I use. Affordability, usability, performance, and I find it difficult to believe any one app will provide all of those without falling short on one.
I never use multiple apps and that's part of our SOP. I guess I misunderstood a piece of the conversation.

Hi R.Perry, switching apps within the same day/flight is risky. Essentially, all DJI apps use the DJI's SDK (software development kit) to connect to the drone. Each app has a separate copy of this SDK so each one connects to the drone separately. Even though the DJI SDK stipulates that the connection between the app and the drone is lost when the app enters background or is killed, it is possible that the app started a mission on the drone with the setting 'Continue Mission' on losing connection. In this scenario, the drone will continue executing the mission from the previous app even though it is now connected to the new app. So killing the app is not sufficient, you need to restart all systems - drone, controller, app to ensure a clean start.

We're also curious to learn why you choose to use 2 different apps for mapping and waypoints?

Why I use Multiple apps, well I like Litchi for my way point flights, and Drone Deploy for mapping. I use DJI 4 for doing my panos. I guess it's just what I'm comfortable with and have been using this routine for a couple years now. However I just started doing way point flights prior to mapping and that is when the problem started.

The Litchi way point flight completed so it wasn't waiting to finish a mission.

I never use multiple apps and that's part of our SOP. I guess I misunderstood a piece of the conversation.
Well, to clarify more I never have multiple apps OPEN at the same time. Everything in DroneDeploy including 360's, progress photos and video. When the photo and video flight get complex I use Litchi. I don't use DJI Go 4 for anything except updating firmware and calibrating.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gstaggs