Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Deploy Yuneec Drones

Texas_Willie

Reaction score
I am a total newbie here, so bear with me (if possible) :D

Will the Yuneec family of drones work with Drone Deploy. I am particularly interested in the construction applications, since that is where my background was in the "real" world.

I have a Q500+ 4K with an ST10 controller, which I don't think would work with Drone Deploy?

I also have a Typhoon H Pro, with an ST16 controller, which I think should work with Drone Deploy...At least that is what I am hoping!

Any info will be greatly appreciated and you have my THANKS In Advance!

TW :)

Thanks, I was thinking, since the ST16 has an apps section, that it might...I don't have it in front of me at the moment, since it is at Yuneec having the Intel Real Sense module installed (that was missing when I bought it from Fry's Electronics)

Thanks, I was thinking, since the ST16 has an apps section, that it might...I don't have it in front of me at the moment, since it is at Yuneec having the Intel Real Sense module installed (that was missing when I bought it from Fry's Electronics)

It's a bit more than just an app. While it does require an app the app has to be written to communicate with the aircraft's SDK in order to know how to hand off Flight Control Commands to the aircraft. They why there is a very specific set of aircraft that can fly with DD.

Reactions: Texas_Willie
I just came across this info on the Yuneec website in relation to the ST16:

"DataPilot™ is integrated with the Yuneec ST16S Ground Control Station via the built-in Android 7” Multi-function display, and may be used for exporting flight logs, integrating with popular analytics and post-processing applications such as Pix4D, Agisoft, Datumate, DroneDeploy, Dronifi, and many others." Apparently DataPilot is Yuneecs app to integrate with the others?

I am just not certain that my controller is the right one!

I think you may be confusing:

A. A Flight Control App that autonomously flies the drone in a programmed manner in order to capture a set of images that can be processed by some other cloud or desktop application into 2d and 3d image products

and

B. A Processing Application (cloud or desktop based) that processes a set of Nadir and/ or oblique images into 2d and 3d image products.

Drone Deploy has both under the same banner. Their Flight control app will not work on a Yuneec but you could capture images with your craft using any other method and submit the images to be processed by Drone Deploy, or any processor application that you listed.

Image capture and Image processing are not required to be done by the same branded applications.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I think you may be confusing:

A. A Flight Control App that autonomously flies the drone in a programmed manner in order to capture a set of images that can be processed by some other cloud or desktop application into 2d and 2d image products

and

B. A Processing Application (cloud or desktop based) that processes a set of Nadir and/ or oblique images into 2d and 3d image products.

Drone Deploy has both under the same banner. Their Flight control app will not work on a Yuneec but you could capture images with your craft using any other method and submit the images to be processed by Drone Deploy, or any processor application that you listed.

Image capture and Image processing are not required to be done by the same branded applications.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it does make sense and is precisely the reason I was having trouble understanding why the task mapping, etc couldn't be done with a Yuneec drone or any drone camera that is capable of producing straight down (NADIR) images. Now the question remains on how you get the data to the processing application. I would like to address that once I get my Typhoon H Pro back from repair.

I see you are in Washington, whereabouts in the State are you Dave?

Bill

Last edited:
Not a complete answer to your question, but possibly an avenue of inquiry worth pursuing - the Pix4D Capture flight planning app is compatible with the Yuneec H520's ST16 or ST16S controller. So, you might drop Pix4D an email and inquire as to whether or not it is currently compatible with the Typhoon (or, if not currently compatible, will it be an option in future.)

Good luck!
Yes, it does make sense and is precisely the reason I was having trouble understanding why the task mapping, etc couldn't be done with a Yuneec drone or any drone camera that is capable of producing straight down (NADIR) images. Now the question remains on how you get the data to the processing application. I would like to address that once I get my Typhoon H Pro back from repair.

I see you are in Washington, whereabouts in the State are you Dave?

Bill
Bill, if I'm reading your question correctly, no worries. DroneDeploy allows you to manually upload photos from any source - that is, photos captured with any autonomous flight planning app, or captured manually, or a combination thereof.

Not a complete answer to your question, but possibly an avenue of inquiry worth pursuing - the Pix4D Capture flight planning app is compatible with the Yuneec H520's ST16 or ST16S controller. So, you might drop Pix4D an email and inquire as to whether or not it is currently compatible with the Typhoon (or, if not currently compatible, will it be an option in future.)

Good luck!

Bill, if I'm reading your question correctly, no worries. DroneDeploy allows you to manually upload photos from any source - that is, photos captured with any autonomous flight planning app, or captured manually, or a combination thereof.

Sorry, I'll add an addendum to that: the photos have to be in .jpg format and have to contain GPS metadata.

Sorry, I'll add an addendum to that: the photos have to be in .jpg format and have to contain GPS metadata.
OK, I guess the question then becomes, is the Typhoon H Pro capable of capturing the GPS Metadata with the photos?

BTW, I had checked the Pix4D website already, but a subscription fee of $350 per month seems a bit excessive, unless you have tons of work lined up, which I Do Not....Maybe in a year or so...

Just found this on the web..."
In their latest firmware release for the Typhoon H and ST16 remote on 7/13/16 for the Typhoon H hexacopter, they’ve noted that this release addresses “improved wifi connection”.

They also mention the addition of video and image review on the controller of your last shot(s) – further outlined in the PDF download on their site.

But what they failed to mention is probably the most valuable additions for photographers, such as EXIF camera data in still image files so that Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop users can merge multiple files for HDR images – like the 5-image HDR shot that Kerry Garrison created this weekend that we included at the top of this article.

And most importantly, there are now GPS coordinates embedded in the metadata, making the Typhoon H a serious contender for mapping with Pix4D and DroneDeploy."

So, it would appear that I am in BUSINESS!

Just found this on the web..."
In their latest firmware release for the Typhoon H and ST16 remote on 7/13/16 for the Typhoon H hexacopter, they’ve noted that this release addresses “improved wifi connection”.

They also mention the addition of video and image review on the controller of your last shot(s) – further outlined in the PDF download on their site.

But what they failed to mention is probably the most valuable additions for photographers, such as EXIF camera data in still image files so that Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop users can merge multiple files for HDR images – like the 5-image HDR shot that Kerry Garrison created this weekend that we included at the top of this article.

And most importantly, there are now GPS coordinates embedded in the metadata, making the Typhoon H a serious contender for mapping with Pix4D and DroneDeploy."

So, it would appear that I am in BUSINESS!

So, I am looking at the properties of some of my photographs taken with my Typhoon Q500 4K, with the ST10 Controller and while there is a section for GPS data in the Details section of the Properties, it is empty (0 longitude, 0 latitude, 0 altitude)

I am wondering why and how I can get it to show when I take pics in the future...Anyone know the answer? I hope so :p

OK, I guess the question then becomes, is the Typhoon H Pro capable of capturing the GPS Metadata with the photos?

BTW, I had checked the Pix4D website already, but a subscription fee of $350 per month seems a bit excessive, unless you have tons of work lined up, which I Do Not....Maybe in a year or so...

Yep, Pix4D processing is pricey. But, as long as the GPS metadata in in the .jpg files you can manually upload to the processor of your choice - DroneDeploy, Maps Made Easy, PrecisionMapper, et al.

I am wondering why and how I can get it to show when I take pics in the future...Anyone know the answer? I hope so :p
If the manufacturer hasn't programmed the camera to record GPS data, there's nothing you can do to force it to.
Yep, Pix4D processing is pricey. But, as long as the GPS metadata in in the .jpg files you can manually upload to the processor of your choice - DroneDeploy, Maps Made Easy, PrecisionMapper, et al.
He's still got the big problem of no mapping app to do the flying capturing lots of images, giving full coverage for a site and precise overlaps.
That's not something you can do yourself.

I believe that Yuneec has only put that capability into the H520 which they have positioned as their "enterprise" offering. I have not seen anything where that has or will be migrated down to the Typhoon series. Since their volumes as so much lower than DJI, they probably don't see a benefit to spending the development time and money on that.

Yuneec only does it with the 520 and it's the Yuneec app that does the controlling. It's a little more difficult but you can do it with the H, if you have Tuna's app. I wish he would add-in an easy way to set up a mapping mission, but you can still do it and the pictures you take are fine for any of the online mapping programs. This is how I did it:
This isn't a massive area or impressive or anything, especially since I was trying to keep the mapping portion to be free. It does show that it can be done and it's not too difficult.

Reactions: Texas_Willie
Not too scalable if you are looking to do this as a business. You really need the capabilities of the mapping apps to do complex sites like this quarry, with a 500-foot elevation change from end-to-end.

Yuneec only does it with the 520 and it's the Yuneec app that does the controlling. It's a little more difficult but you can do it with the H, if you have Tuna's app. I wish he would add-in an easy way to set up a mapping mission, but you can still do it and the pictures you take are fine for any of the online mapping programs. This is how I did it: This isn't a massive area or impressive or anything, especially since I was trying to keep the mapping portion to be free. It does show that it can be done and it's not too difficult.

Attachments

• PioneerMaterialsWatermanQuarry_Orthomosaic_export_17x11.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164