Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Editing Software

jwaitkus

Reaction score
What does everyone use for editing software? Any that can do both video and pictures without spending big bucks?

The industry standard is Adobe Creative Cloud, but you do not need to spring for that right out of the gate
I am fortunate to be able to charge my CC subscription to my wife's business
Until you can afford that.

Look at these for video editing as they are free
HitFilm Express (editing and VFX together)
HitFilm Express: Free editing & VFX software - HitFilm.com

Divinci Resolve (industry leading color correction)
Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

For Photos
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

The industry standard is Adobe Creative Cloud, but you do not need to spring for that right out of the gate
I am fortunate to be able to charge my CC subscription to my wife's business
Until you can afford that.

Look at these for video editing as they are free
HitFilm Express (editing and VFX together)
HitFilm Express: Free editing & VFX software - HitFilm.com

Divinci Resolve (industry leading color correction)
Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

For Photos
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

I tried Divinci, it just wan't my cup of tea. If I had to use a better editor than what I currently have , I would spend the money for ACC. I like Adobe products. I have used Adobe Movie maker just didn't want to spend the money.
To view I use GOM Player, it's free.
GOM Player - Easy and convenient video player

HandBrake to convert, it's free
HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

Give hitfilm a go, the editor is pretty easy to use
divinci is a tough learning curve, but it is a industry platform
If you ever land a job with broadcasters or with someone integrating your footage they will want it delivered in standards that will require a more mainstream product.

If you ever land a job with broadcasters or with someone integrating your footage they will want it delivered in standards that will require a more mainstream product.
I've only delivered raw footage to Channel Bay News, fortunately they had editing software onsite for my aerial. It was the opening season for the 2017 Homosassa Scallop Season. It was also comical to see hundreds of boats at the launch sites lined up ready to go.

Reactions: Tim Jones
Hmm- I tried Hitfilm and it was too much for me. Much more capability than I need.

I use Cyberlink PowerDirector 16 ultra for video and Adobe Photoshop Elements for photos.

They do everything I need, not too hard to learn and not too expensive.

Here's a great deal on PowerDirector and PhotoDirector:
Charge ahead in 2018 with our creative software. Save up to 80% OFF today!

Both for $71.99 before 1-15. Yes, I know that's tomorrow but I just saw this. A different sale may begin after this one.o_O

Reactions: John Githens
I use Adobe Creative Cloud for all my editing. The first couple years I used a friends .edu email address and got a $19/mo subscription for all of the applications. If you have a family member or friends with an .edu address I think that is the most affordable way to get a subscription.

Whichever application you choose, make sure you can find some tutorials that you like before you get started. Unless you plan on taking a class or have some alternative way of learning, you'll need some sort of access to tutorials on all the basics of editing, importing clips, marking clips, transitions, color correction etc.

Finally, MAKE SURE YOUR MACHINE CAN RUN IT. I forgot this part and when I went from shooting 1080p to 4k, the time it took to edit my videos went through the roof. Point being, each editing program has its system recommendations and each video format does as well. If you're shooting in 1080p you'll probably be fine, if you're shooting 4k, you might need a RAM upgrade to run Adobe Premiere vs running something like iMovie.

As others have said, the industry standard is Adobe CC. Photoshop and Lightroom classic can be pricey and come with a steep learning curve, but that's why you're a professional, right? Luckily, there are tons of resources to learn the Adobe programs because they're so popular. Realistically, you can google each task you need help with as it arises while you experiment.

Reactions: Charles Duggan
I've been in Photoshop "every day" since 1995. I'm all for the Creative Cloud subscription. I look at the cost like this - if a business can't take a $50 a month hit, is it a business or just a hobby? Don't read that as snark.

One big plus if you are on a slower machine - Premier can proxy your 4k files during editing. THEN you have the Media Encoder render them outside of Premier.

There is a lot to learn but the tools are rock solid, there are endless tutorials, and LUTs will change your color grading game.

Adobe offers a 30 day free trial - give it a shot before you commit to a subscription. Best of luck in your hunt.

I use Adobe Creative Cloud for all my editing. The first couple years I used a friends .edu email address and got a $19/mo subscription for all of the applications. If you have a family member or friends with an .edu address I think that is the most affordable way to get a subscription.

Whichever application you choose, make sure you can find some tutorials that you like before you get started. Unless you plan on taking a class or have some alternative way of learning, you'll need some sort of access to tutorials on all the basics of editing, importing clips, marking clips, transitions, color correction etc.

Finally, MAKE SURE YOUR MACHINE CAN RUN IT. I forgot this part and when I went from shooting 1080p to 4k, the time it took to edit my videos went through the roof. Point being, each editing program has its system recommendations and each video format does as well. If you're shooting in 1080p you'll probably be fine, if you're shooting 4k, you might need a RAM upgrade to run Adobe Premiere vs running something like iMovie.

Beware, that adobe educational licenses are not valid for professional work. It can be trouble. I'm just reporting.

I tried GIMP but did not seem very user friendly. I would love to try Cyberlink but it's only for PC.

Just saw a plan on Adobe for 9.99/month.

Your choice of:

• Creative Cloud Photography plan with Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC, and 20 GB or 1 TB of cloud storage
  • Lightroom CC plan with 1 TB of cloud storage
  • Up to 10TB of cloud storage available (Call for details)
Is this what everyone uses?

I use IOS on two IPads. IPad Air 2 and Ipad 2017. I like a mobil environment if at all possible.

I use Adobe PS Express and Lightroom CC for photos.
For videos I use IMovie and Perfect Clips.

Some devices will not play 4K raw video. My older Air 2 does, but the new Ipad 2017 and my IPhone 7 Plus will not. You can open them with IMovie with no problem. Export them to 4K and they open fine. Apple says they should work, but someting is amiss. Not sure if the Phantom is saving the video differently or what.

Surprised there are not more Final Cut Pro X users here. I've gotten quite comfortable with it but since it is quite robust, id DOES have a learning curve. I imagine Premiere/CC does also though ...

Reactions: breid1 and Red90

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905