Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Extending flight time

R.Perry

Reaction score
A couple of friends of mine and I have an idea to build a drone that will fly for at least two hours, that will be just a little larger than the inspire two, have greater lifting ability and photographic ability. One friend is a retire mechanical engineer, the other electrical engineer.

The question is finding a manufacturing company that will assist in building the prototype and then if all goes well marketing it. We have don'e a patent search and there isn't any thing close to our concept.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cody

Reaction score
Afternoon,

A friend of mine has been working on this for some time only larger for pipeline inspection near the two hour mark+. He machined a engine not long ago. He is getting closer. I tested 2 stroke Gasser heli engines for him for a while. He and I have had long discussions on power plant and E-Calcs for longer flight times in electric. Power system in Gas has a crossover where it becomes better and better of a choice for larger projects. Vibrations where a lengthy talk, Wish you the best as its a fun yet busy idea.

The other main hurdle with this idea is the interface. I had built and flown a multi like any person before I ended with a Inspire 2, and did as much research as possible on the communication aspect desiring more and more functionality. I ended up with a gentles camera controller. The zoom, shutter, and video start stop was the best for a home brew. Still dealing the the two types of communication Lanc/other you just cant access a Sony and run through the appeture etc like you can on a DJI. A specific manpower/ group/ engineering dedicated to this aspect alone would need completed from the Android app/ to camera control.

-Cody

AH-1G

Reaction score
Website
digitalphotographypainting.weebly.com
A couple of friends of mine and I have an idea to build a drone that will fly for at least two hours, that will be just a little larger than the inspire two, have greater lifting ability and photographic ability. One friend is a retire mechanical engineer, the other electrical engineer.

The question is finding a manufacturing company that will assist in building the prototype and then if all goes well marketing it. We have don'e a patent search and there isn't any thing close to our concept.

I was a Managing partner and CEO of my company 6 years ago, government contracting in the field of electromechanics / electro engineering. My partner, 1of 4 was the brains (MIT) of our company. In my opinion ideas are dime a dozen, not saying you folks don't have an exceptional idea.
You did a patent search, great, now apply for one!
You need to use your own money to create a prototype, this helps reassures investor/s you are serious.
I had Eng's come to use with ideas, all theory but no actual real life data. sorry to be so forward, but that's cold hard facts.;)

Last edited:

Maddog

Reaction score
I think somebody posted a link to an article about an octocopter, battery powered with a 500 lb lift capacity.

Can't find it now but it was built by a big company like Intel.

The Editor

Reaction score

Oh, you mean like this one with 5 hour flight time?
GAIA 160HY-Hybrid Hexacopter RTF Combo

Or this one with over an hours flight time (with payload) in a small managable package?
F1000 Pro 12S Combo

Last edited:

The Editor

Reaction score
That is exactly what we were talking about, and the price isn't bad considering.
So won’t you be inventing/developing someone that has already been developed (and tried and tested and readily available for sale?)
When you say you have searched and there is nothing close to your concept - isn’t that it (since you said that exactly what you are talking about) ??? :confused:

Reactions: AH-1G

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syvphoto