Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA Announces Part 107 Re-Testing Criteria

Here's a link directly to the FAA document so you can read it and study for it yourself:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf

"Recurrent testing is required for Airmen who do not hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61. The recurrent test is also required for airmen who do hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61, but do not have a current Flight Review as per 14 CFR part 61, section, 61.56."

Reading this I take that any Remote Pilot who is not a manned aircraft pilot or a manned aircraft pilot without a current Biennial Flight Review is required to take another written test to keep their Remote Pilot Certificate current. It doesn't say but I would assume that a Remote Pilot who holds a manned aircraft certificate AND is current on a Biennial Flight Review does not need to take a written test. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks for the heads-up @BigAl07

It doesn't say but I would assume that a Remote Pilot who holds a manned aircraft certificate AND is current on a Biennial Flight Review does not need to take a written test. Am I reading this correctly?

I think "Airman" refers to 107 airman in the context of the paragraph. It DOES say that a recurrent test is NOT required of part 61 pilots that have a current flight review. That makes perfect sense because that test was not required of part 61 pilots that received a 107 cert. in the first place. The topics covered in the test are the same subject matter covered in the ground portion of a flight review.

Recurrent Knowledge Test Description The recurrent knowledge test is an important part of ensuring that airmen who hold a remote pilot certificate with sUAS rating can operate safety in the National Airspace System (NAS). Recurrent testing is required for Airmen who do not hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61. The recurrent test is also required for airmen who do hold a pilot certificate that was issued under 14 CFR part 61, but do not have a current Flight Review as per 14 CFR part 61, section, 61.56. The recurrent knowledge test consists of objective, multiple-choice questions. There is a single correct response for each test question. Each test question is independent of other questions. A correct response to one question does not depend upon, or influence, the correct response to another. A person who is taking the test has up to 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete the test.

Last edited:
Scales, straightedges, protractors, plotters, navigation computers, blank log sheets, holding pattern entry aids, and electronic or mechanical calculators that are directly related to......

Now I really get a kick out of this, "Holding pattern entry aids, and navagational computers" I'm sure every drone pilot needs that. Holding patterns are designed for aircraft arriving at busy airports and need to wait on other aircraft waiting to land. They are clipping documents meant for manned aircraft pilots and adding it to Drone pilots.

As for weeding out, not really if someone past the test once, they should be able to pass it again. The thing that gets me is there is no proficiency testing, you can past the test but don't need to know how to fly a drone safely, makes a lot of sense don't it.

@R.Perry I think many agree that there should be a practical standards element to initial and perhaps recurrently. The problem is, the FAA has not established "what" a minimum of ability should look like. And then they need to establish some criteria for the examiners that will check people out. I've not heard anything about them even working on that element as they are still playing catch up with everything else. Perhaps @Russ Still has some insight on this he could share,

To have some type of practical test, class and categories would need to be established. People just assume everyone's flying a quadcopter. But there are helicopters, fixed wing, heck, probably even lighter than air. There would have to be multiple certification standards developed. Considering how long it took to do something as (relatively) simple as Part 107 (which is very generic), it would take years to put together.

Right now, the FAA isn't interested in how well you fly your drone. All they want to do is make sure you don't hurt anyone else.

For a practical test I bet if one had to fly a quadcopter with no GPS or altitude hold you could weed out like 90% of the "pilots" out there.

Same for fixed wing and heli.

BINGO! I'm shocked at the number of "Experienced" sUAS Operators who we end up teaching in our Public Safety courses who can't fly the aircraft without the "Training Wheels" engaged. We had one guy with hundreds of hours of "stick time" (he's retired and flies hours each day) but when I put him on an A/C without the stabilization and GPS features he couldn't maintain stable/safe flight let alone hover in a controlled manner. To put it frankly, he was a danger to himself and everyone around. He literally flew his A/C in between moving cars (at windshield level) on a highway. We kept waiting on one of the officers there with us to get a phone call about a rogue drone flying through street traffic.

But as noted above we would have to have "Types" because those who "only" fly fixed wing or MR's can't transition seamlessly to the other in regards to the hands on testing.

In regards to the topic is this thread I was in a meeting with an FAA Rep this morning and he stated, "We should be announcing the recurrent plan next week. It's going to look very similar to the original certification process. No online version unless you are a current Part 61 airman. Sorry."

Reactions: Jim H
, he was a danger to himself and everyone around. He literally flew his A/C in between moving cars (at windshield level) on a highway. We kept waiting on one of the officers there with us to get a phone call about a rogue drone flying through
Wow hope he was grounded after that one, That is Bad

BINGO! I'm shocked at the number of "Experienced" sUAS Operators who we end up teaching in our Public Safety courses who can't fly the aircraft without the "Training Wheels" engaged. We had one guy with hundreds of hours of "stick time" (he's retired and flies hours each day) but when I put him on an A/C without the stabilization and GPS features he couldn't maintain stable/safe flight let alone hover in a controlled manner. To put it frankly, he was a danger to himself and everyone around. He literally flew his A/C in between moving cars (at windshield level) on a highway. We kept waiting on one of the officers there with us to get a phone call about a rogue drone flying through street traffic.

But as noted above we would have to have "Types" because those who "only" fly fixed wing or MR's can't transition seamlessly to the other in regards to the hands on testing.

In regards to the topic is this thread I was in a meeting with an FAA Rep this morning and he stated, "We should be announcing the recurrent plan next week. It's going to look very similar to the original certification process. No online version unless you are a current Part 61 airman. Sorry."
And we get screwed again at $150 a pop! Hard not to be jaded about the behind the scenes machinations between the feds and vendors. I remember fondly, walking into an FAA owned building and having FAA personnel proctoring my PPL and CML written during my early days. Where there any fees? Honestly can't remember. Have they outsourced checkrides? Just wondering.....

Last edited:
For a practical test I bet if one had to fly a quadcopter with no GPS or altitude hold you could weed out like 90% of the "pilots" out there.

Same for fixed wing and heli.
And pay some vendor joker $500 probably. The feds are never going to get a budget to hire thousands of UAS examiners...

I'll put my $0.02 in and refer to pt 61 flight reviews and correlate over to pt 107. For pt 107 2 yr recurrency "flight reviews" isn't it possible to hire a pt 61 cfi with a pt 107 cert that has experience in your type of UAS ops. An hour ground, and hour in the "field" and a log book sign off. If it's good for pt 61, I think it would be good for pt 107?

Right now, the FAA isn't interested in how well you fly your drone. All they want to do is make sure you don't hurt anyone else.

I would agree with Russ, up to a point.

In order to expedite the recertification process, the FAA waives any flight proficiency demonstration; we just pay another testing fee and retake the written exam (albeit a slightly abbreviated form of the original.) However (and this is a noteworthy "however"), if a Part 61-certified pilot demonstrates his/her flight proficiency (by completing a "biannual" OR earning a new certificate/rating) that pilot need only complete the FREE "Part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) ALC-451" online course, complete FAA Form 8710-13, and be signed off by an FAA representative (FSDO, DPE, ACR, or CFI).

Of these four only FDO, DPE, or ACR are authorized to issue a temporary airman certificate. But it's not clear that that point is even relevant in the case of the 107 recurring test, unless the FAA intends to issue all-new plastic licenses too.

IF the FAA wanted to (and, of course, this is a big "if") they could easily amend the current rule so that Part 107 certificate holders could take the ALC-451 online course before their certificate expired, pass it, and be signed off by the afore-mentioned FAA representatives for another 24 months.

Of course, I don't see any of this happening anytime soon. (The FAA is focused on sUAS integration into the NAS right now, and rightly so; this will be big for all of us.) But noteworthy changes have occurred in the past; so, anything is possible.

I'll put my $0.02 in and refer to pt 61 flight reviews and correlate over to pt 107. For pt 107 2 yr recurrency "flight reviews" isn't it possible to hire a pt 61 cfi with a pt 107 cert that has experience in your type of UAS ops. An hour ground, and hour in the "field" and a log book sign off. If it's good for pt 61, I think it would be good for pt 107?

The short answer is "no." The FAA stipulates that a Part 107 pilot can only skip the re-exam if he/she is also a Part 61 certificate holder with a current "biannual." But, if the FAA were to eventually authorize current Part 107 certificate holders to take the FAA ALC-451 online course, a CFI (or FSDO, DPE, or ACR) would be authorized to sign off the results.

In order to expedite the recertification process, the FAA waives any flight proficiency demonstration; we just pay another testing fee and retake the written exam (albeit a slightly abbreviated form of the original.) However (and this is a noteworthy "however"), if a Part 61-certified pilot demonstrates his/her flight proficiency (by completing a "biannual" OR earning a new certificate/rating) that pilot need only complete the FREE "Part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) ALC-451" online course, complete FAA Form 8710-13, and be signed off by an FAA representative (FSDO, DPE, ACR, or CFI).

For "recertifictation", I'm not seeing anything in FAA-S-ACS-10A about the online course needing repeated. Where are you seeing that? That was required of current Part 61 pilots for initial 107 certification but I don't see anything about repeating it. No mention of repeating it for non-61's either for that matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry woodham