Join our growing community today!

FAA Part 107 training/testing pushed to 3/16/21

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
Heads Up! There is been a slight change to the Part 107 recurrence training. The roll-out will change from 3/1/21 to 3/16/21. This was so it would be in "accordance with the memorandum of January 20, 2021, from the Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff, titled “Regulatory Freeze Pending Review"." Basically, a new administration has the right to put any new rule "on hold for review" if it was added to the Federal Register during a specific time period between transitions.

It's very common. Although a pain in the backside for some. If you need to get your 107 current before 3/17/21, you'll need to take the in person recurrent test (UGR) one more time before you can take advantage of the new training. Unfortunately.

If your 107 is current after 3/1/21, this will not affect you.

If you have any questions, ask below. We'll get them answered for you as best we can.

Man no...that was an experience I never want to repeat. Lost power for 2+ days. When it was -2 outside and 38 in my house with no power, I could see my breath, and my cat/dog were shivering and looking at me very confused. Fortunately, my Mom (who is 85) never lost power and only lost water for a day. I had to flee my house and stayed with my Mom for 3 days. The dog was cool with it, but Kitty, well cats don't like change so he was freaked out. At least we were all together and warm.

I checked on the house a couple of times a day. On Thursday morning, had power finally but also a burst pipe and a flooded master bedroom and partial living room. I have extensive damage to the walls, carpet is ruined, furniture has damage, the roof is damaged with shingles sliding off and a leak developed in the dining room. The HVAC system took a hit with the power surges so has $5k damage to the electrics and motors. Lost the iMac and a MacBook Pro. Lots and lots of other stuff.

The power is back, the pipe is fixed. (2 breaks) Have a huge hole cut into the wall of my MBR. Probably 90% dried out but stinks. Those few 80 degree days helped. Got quotes on carpet, roof, and having the computers looked at. The insurance adjuster is coming Sunday afternoon so I should have all my estimates ready. Can't seem to get a contractor though for all the wall damage.

I am extremely angry....and exhausted....and bleeding cash. My home is livable, barely. I'm alive and so are my buddies.

Man no...that was an experience I never want to repeat. Lost power for 2+ days. When it was -2 outside and 38 in my house with no power, I could see my breath, and my cat/dog were shivering and looking at me very confused. Fortunately, my Mom (who is 85) never lost power and only lost water for a day. I had to flee my house and stayed with my Mom for 3 days. The dog was cool with it, but Kitty, well cats don't like change so he was freaked out. At least we were all together and warm.

I checked on the house a couple of times a day. On Thursday morning, had power finally but also a burst pipe and a flooded master bedroom and partial living room. I have extensive damage to the walls, carpet is ruined, furniture has damage, the roof is damaged with shingles sliding off and a leak developed in the dining room. The HVAC system took a hit with the power surges so has $5k damage to the electrics and motors. Lost the iMac and a MacBook Pro. Lots and lots of other stuff.

The power is back, the pipe is fixed. (2 breaks) Have a huge hole cut into the wall of my MBR. Probably 90% dried out but stinks. Those few 80 degree days helped. Got quotes on carpet, roof, and having the computers looked at. The insurance adjuster is coming Sunday afternoon so I should have all my estimates ready. Can't seem to get a contractor though for all the wall damage.

I am extremely angry....and exhausted....and bleeding cash. My home is livable, barely. I'm alive and so are my buddies.
We had two outages on Monday and Tuesday that lasted about 14 hours each and then went into the rolling blackout BS through midnight on Thursday when power was restored. Water was shut off Tuesday afternoon and finally restored on Saturday along with internet. My refrigerator died sometime during the festivities; not that I could cook anything anyway being all electric. Temps reached 38° inside Monday night. Should have fled with Ted. Abbott did his dog and pony show last night about getting to the bottom of everything and I found that amusing considering that the legislature voted against regulation which is what set the stage for this cluster...

Crap you guys got hit hard. Snow gone here but nonstop raining
on top of the snow melting you can’t walk here. And now it’s Tornado season. ?

Reactions: R Martin
Crap you guys got hit hard. Snow gone here but nonstop raining
on top of the snow melting you can’t walk here. And now it’s Tornado season. ?
There are still isolated patches of snow here as well but they are few and far between. Gotta love deep South weather huh?

Reactions: dirkclod
We can handle typical winters, which are mild. Even when it gets down to the teens but warms above freezing during the day. Texas houses simply are not built for -0 degree weather. We hit -1 back in 1983, but before that, it was 1949. Coldest recorded in DFW was -8 in 1899.

If they had only rolled the blackouts. 2 hours on, 2 off. It would have allowed us to warm our houses in between power cycles. We aren't built for 24+ hours below zero and single digits. Our suburban homes don't have Franklin Stoves and large fireplaces. Our fireplaces are decorative mainly. Some of the older homes, built in the 40's or so, have decent fireplaces. We lived in a home in Denton (over on Idiots Hill, @R Martin , on Greenwood) and it had a massive fireplace, 6' wide, 5' high, and 4' deep. Beautiful, with an iron back and pretty tiles around it with paintings of Wood Ducks, and an amazing mahogany mantle. During the storm of December 1983, we had that baby crankin and it heated the whole house.

BTW - sorry this thread got so off track. Dirk, if you want to move these comments to a "Texas Winter Storm" topic we can continue there.

Reactions: dirkclod
Mine expires last week of March, but I already scheduled my exam for March 12. Have you ever heard of them issuing refunds on scheduled tests?
You don't need to worry about taking the Recurrent training until 3/31. And you don't need to take the UGR at all. The testing center should have told you that it was going away.

See if you can get a refund.

You don't need to worry about taking the Recurrent training until 3/31. And you don't need to take the UGR at all. The testing center should have told you that it was going away.

See if you can get a refund.
Didn't realize it'd be so easy to get a refund. Just cancelled my recurrent through PSI and got the refund confirmation email immediately. Now I'll just have to figure out where to take that new course. Anybody know when and where they will be made available?

Didn't realize it'd be so easy to get a refund. Just cancelled my recurrent through PSI and got the refund confirmation email immediately. Now I'll just have to figure out where to take that new course. Anybody know when and where they will be made available?
The new training (not testing) will be available on 3/16/21 at www.faasafety.gov.

Once that training goes live, we'll make sure to get the word out and include links. And this will be free. No more $165 to PSI. Which is why they probably didn't tell you that you don't need to take the UGR any more.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
The new training (not testing) will be available on 3/16/21 at www.faasafety.gov.

Once that training goes live, we'll make sure to get the word out and include links. And this will be free. No more $165 to PSI. Which is why they probably didn't tell you that you don't need to take the UGR any more.
Somehow it was only $96 for my recurrent test at PSI (for the Coney Island Brooklyn location) but your theory is probably spot on. Had they not issued me a refund I would have just skipped it anyway since it sounds like my current night waiver is obsolete any way and I'd need to take the free course to be able to fly at night.

Luckily it's a one minute process to cancel your existing appointment and I won't have to have my license lapse at all. Thanks for this thread OP! I'll buy you a beer if you're ever in the NYC area.

Somehow it was only $96 for my recurrent test at PSI (for the Coney Island Brooklyn location) but your theory is probably spot on. Had they not issued me a refund I would have just skipped it anyway since it sounds like my current night waiver is obsolete any way and I'd need to take the free course to be able to fly at night.

Luckily it's a one minute process to cancel your existing appointment and I won't have to have my license lapse at all. Thanks for this thread OP! I'll buy you a beer if you're ever in the NYC area.
Yeah, all 107.29 waivers will be terminated on 5/17/21. Glad it was an easy process.

Yeah, all 107.29 waivers will be terminated on 5/17/21. Glad it was an easy process.
I haven't read the fine print of the new night rules, but hopefully they're a bit less restrictive than my current night waiver which requires me to keep my UAS within a 400' radius horizontally. On the enormous construction site I've been documenting (check out my Instagram to see where) this makes some long takes impossible and requires us to change locations an absurd amount of times to stay within the requirements.

Last edited:
I haven't read the fine print of the new night rules, but hopefully they're a bit less restrictive than my current night waiver which requires me to keep my UAS within a 400' radius horizontally.
Wow, I've never seen a waiver with that restriction. Unless it's in controlled airspace.

The new rules are actually more lax. No VO needed (I would still use one), and all of non-controlled airspace. Once you take the online recurrent training, no more waiver needed.

Wow, I've never seen a waiver with that restriction. Unless it's in controlled airspace.

The new rules are actually more lax. No VO needed (I would still use one), and all of non-controlled airspace. Once you take the online recurrent training, no more waiver needed.
Actually I had it a bit mixed up. It's not my waiver that requires me to stay within 400' but I routinely fly in JFK airport's 0' zone and my authorization for that requires this for night flights (in addition to requiring me to call LGA and JFK's towers for a "ya whatever" from somebody there)

Actually I had it a bit mixed up. It's not my waiver that requires me to stay within 400' but I routinely fly in JFK airport's 0' zone and my authorization for that requires this for night flights (in addition to requiring me to call LGA and JFK's towers for a "ya whatever" from somebody there)
That makes sense. I have the same restrictions on my DIA 0 grid COAs. But I have a 1 mile radius, but it's in a wide open area that just happens to be in a 0' grid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM