Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

When it comes to the broadcast signal.... I don’t see any real specifics yet regarding signal type or method. Seems perhaps us with dji products already have the ability to broadcast to AeroScope. The hardware may already be in place just need the software to update to be compliant. Dji already made some proof of concepts DJI Demonstrates Direct Drone-To-Phone Remote Identification
ASTM standards are being worked on now. The FAA should have them pretty quickly, and since they're also working with the ASTM committee working the standards, they'll be approved quickly.

Although I didn’t see it specifically mentioned in the Rules Summary (and I did not go through the entire body of the rules), it appears that folks whose certificate is not up for renewal yet, should be able to take the recurrent training early, and be able to do night ops without the need of a daytime waiver, starting this March.

Although I didn’t see it specifically mentioned in the Rules Summary (and I did not go through the entire body of the rules), it appears that folks whose certificate is not up for renewal yet, should be able to take the recurrent training early, and be able to do night ops without the need of a daytime waiver, starting this March.
Starting 60 days from implementation you will be able to take the unmanned recurrent training. That will allow you to fly at night.

This appears it would lighten up on "over people" at construction sites:

The second option is very applicable to flying a grid over a site. The uav will not loiter over any one point.

"Category 3 gets more restrictive and drones can’t be flown over open-air assemblies and can only fly over people under either of two conditions. First, the operation is within or over a closed set/restricted-access site and all people are on notice that a drone may fly over them. Second, the drone does not maintain sustained flight over anyone unless that person is directly participating in the operation, or is reasonably protected by a structure or inside a stationary vehicle."

So is this correct??? I was going to schedule my recurrent testing at the start of the new year... from the sounds of it the second week of February '21 I can just do the free online training and not have to sit for an in person test? If so, that's the best part of this....... here is an explanation from the article.

107.65 Recurrent requirements:
No more scheduling your 107.65 recurrent in-person test. The FAA has determined that training be required every 24 months instead of actual testing. And that will include the night ops knowledge. However, there will no longer be a different set of questions between the initial and recurrent test or training. All subjects on the initial test will be covered in the recurrent training.
This training will ensure that Remote Pilots will maintain familiarity with sUAS operations. An additional benefit is that this will be done online which provides a cost free option. It also allows more flexibility when the FAA feels the need to adapt training for regulatory or technological advances in the UAS industry.
45 days after publication, the FAA will provide free online recurrent training for all remote pilots.
"The final rule amends the existing Part 107 in Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The rule has been sent to the Office of the Federal Register and will become effective 60 days after the publication date in the Federal Register. Publication is expected in January 2021." If you look at the copy of the Final Rule itself, you will see "Effective dates: Except for subpart C of part 89, this rule is effective [INSERT DATE 60 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER]. Subpart C of part 89 is effective INSERT DATE 60 DAYS AND 18 MONTHS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER]." I was surprised how fast this can occur. See the article on the Office of the Federal Register, here: Reader Aids :: Office of the Federal Register Blog

Not just a guess on my part - the FAA will notify certificate/endorsement holders of the compliance dates for the changes to Part 107 once the date has been established following publication. I believe they use the same address you established in IACRA. My last recurrent exam, I towed my RV to a park near the test site and slept there the night before the exam - it was that far away... Not gonna miss that hassle the way I missed my $150 every two years. Way to go FAA!

"The final rule amends the existing Part 107 in Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The rule has been sent to the Office of the Federal Register and will become effective 60 days after the publication date in the Federal Register. Publication is expected in January 2021." If you look at the copy of the Final Rule itself, you will see "Effective dates: Except for subpart C of part 89, this rule is effective [INSERT DATE 60 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER]. Subpart C of part 89 is effective INSERT DATE 60 DAYS AND 18 MONTHS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER]." I was surprised how fast this can occur. See the article on the Office of the Federal Register, here: Reader Aids :: Office of the Federal Register Blog

Not just a guess on my part - the FAA will notify certificate/endorsement holders of the compliance dates for the changes to Part 107 once the date has been established following publication. I believe they use the same address you established in IACRA. My last recurrent exam, I towed my RV to a park near the test site and slept there the night before the exam - it was that far away... Not gonna miss that hassle the way I missed my $150 every two years. Way to go FAA!
Did you have to take it in DC or somewhere here in Tidewater. I was lucky enough to have a Proctor at the local Regional Airport about 20 minutes away. Nice to see someone that is not too far away.

Did you have to take it in DC or somewhere here in Tidewater. I was lucky enough to have a Proctor at the local Regional Airport about 20 minutes away. Nice to see someone that is not too far away.
Initial was at RIC (Richmond Int'l) and I stayed in a hotel the night before. Recurrent was at Hanover Airport in Ashland. On the way there on I-64, a crash closed the highway and turned the 90 minute trip into five and a half hours... If that had happened on the morning of my exam, I would not have made it, so I was glad to get ahead of that curve. The RV park I stayed at is two minutes from the testing site, by bicycle. Was planning to go there again this year, when we got this bit of good news. Living in the Tidewater area would be pretty convenient for a DJI pilot, eh? Isn't Virginia's only 'authorized' DJI service provider in Virginia Beach? Called them a couple years ago and was told I'd be better off trying to fix the problem myself - they were that backed up! Is n6dlh a tail number?

Cheers

Brian

Initial was at RIC (Richmond Int'l) and I stayed in a hotel the night before. Recurrent was at Hanover Airport in Ashland. On the way there on I-64, a crash closed the highway and turned the 90 minute trip into five and a half hours... If that had happened on the morning of my exam, I would not have made it, so I was glad to get ahead of that curve. The RV park I stayed at is two minutes from the testing site, by bicycle. Was planning to go there again this year, when we got this bit of good news. Living in the Tidewater area would be pretty convenient for a DJI pilot, eh? Isn't Virginia's only 'authorized' DJI service provider in Virginia Beach? Called them a couple years ago and was told I'd be better off trying to fix the problem myself - they were that backed up! Is n6dlh a tail number?

Cheers

Brian
N6DLH is my FCC Amateur radio callsign. I am not sure about a repair center. I fly for a large company, we have a bunch of DJI in our fleet but I do not work for DJI. It appears there may be a shift away from DJI drones because of the economic black list but it depends on customer requirements for certain jobs. We cover a whole lot of industries so it depends. That kind of stuff is above my pay grade, I just harvest the data required and provide what is needed.
It seems the remote ID ruling could have been a lot worse. My own company has a Daytime Waiver. I will fly under that until the online test comes out then take the recurrent test. My waiver has some hoops to jump through.

N6DLH is my FCC Amateur radio callsign. I am not sure about a repair center. I fly for a large company, we have a bunch of DJI in our fleet but I do not work for DJI. It appears there may be a shift away from DJI drones because of the economic black list but it depends on customer requirements for certain jobs. We cover a whole lot of industries so it depends. That kind of stuff is above my pay grade, I just harvest the data required and provide what is needed.
It seems the remote ID ruling could have been a lot worse. My own company has a Daytime Waiver. I will fly under that until the online test comes out then take the recurrent test. My waiver has some hoops to jump through.
Ham operator was my 2nd choice.

I'm OK with the new rules. Retired Navy - used to rules. I've seen recreational flyers do ridiculous things. And then there's YouTube... Fact of the matter is, I was about to leave the Mavic Drone Forum, when I discovered this 'sister' forum. Like Night and Day. Discussions over here are wonderful and well-reasoned. Discussions on the 'amateur hour' forum, where posters support each others' five mile Mavic Mini flights into controlled airspace, left me angry and conflicted. Can't imagine folks are gonna get away with unsafe flying much longer. And the added cost of remote ID doesn't bother me as much, now that DJI has fallen on bad press. I was moving to Autel even before DJI got blacklisted. I shoot a lot of residential properties in a county where quite a few National Intelligence officers live. We talk. They don't want Chinese UAs over their neighborhoods. When something affects my business, I adapt. So, no more DJI for me. Except when we travel. That Mini 2 is hard to put down :)

My niece graduated from Longwood in Farmville - I used to travel through Buckingham County all the time. Beautiful country, but it's hard to find a really good restaurant down that way...

Cheers

Can someone comment on this video.... this was the point of discussing this in this thread.....I feel like so much info is going out that really isn't accurate or clear at this moment. I've read all along 45-60 days and recurrent is going away but then I see this, contrary to what I read and understood.

Can someone comment on this video.... this was the point of discussing this in this thread.....I feel like so much info is going out that really isn't accurate or clear at this moment. I've read all along 45-60 days and recurrent is going away but then I see this, contrary to what I read and understood.

Jason needs to take this video down. He's been told three separate times that he is wrong. Recurrent training starts 60 days after publication. The training will be available 45 days after publication. You can take it then, but it will be only become active on the 60th day.

Any word of the new rules have been officially published yet???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM