BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
This is sort of a hodge podge of information but it's important so here you go:

FAA Targets UAS Violators for Enforcement

FAA has told employees to pass any case of a drone pilot getting in the way of wildfire fighters, law enforcement or medical teams onto the agency's chief counsel. "Under FAA guidance, inspectors generally use non-enforcement methods, including education, for correcting unintentional violations that arise from factors such as flawed systems, simple mistakes, or lack of understanding," the agency said in a statement Friday. "However, given the potential for direct and immediate interference with potentially life-saving operations where minutes matter, offenders will immediately be considered for enforcement actions." If FAA finds out that a drone pilot "knowingly or recklessly" interfered with an emergency response, it will "generally" pursue a $15,000 to $20,000 fine — the maximum allowed by law.

FAA has told employees to pass any case of a drone pilot getting in the way of wildfire fighters, law enforcement or medical teams onto the agency's chief counsel. "Under FAA guidance, inspectors generally use non-enforcement methods, including education, for correcting unintentional violations that arise from factors such as flawed systems, simple mistakes, or lack of understanding," the agency said in a statement Friday. "However, given the potential for direct and immediate interference with potentially life-saving operations where minutes matter, offenders will immediately be considered for enforcement actions." If FAA finds out that a drone pilot "knowingly or recklessly" interfered with an emergency response, it will "generally" pursue a $15,000 to $20,000 fine — the maximum allowed by law.

I think this is partially related to the new legislation that should be in front of the Senate now.
Safeguarding Americas Skies Act of 2018
Congresswoman Shuster was not happy about the fact that the FAA chose "education" over enforcement and called them on the carpet. This is a start but not a complete solution. There is a lot of leeway in the "knowingly or recklessly" clause that can allow the FAA to sidestep the violation and slap the perpetrator on the wrist instead. The FAA also has a proven track record of negotiating fines down for previous violators which has aggravated the problem IMO. We will see a change in operating habits when the FAA gets serious and starts issuing max fines and jail time that are non-negotiable. The threat of enforcement of the regs then becomes a very real stick and that will chance the public attitude.

Reactions: BigAl07
Good. About time.

I agree. The FAA has tried to be seen as a big brother offering advice and "re-educating" the offenders. It has not worked to date. They should have (IMO) come out swinging and planted the boot deep in the offenders bodily openings (choose your favor here) and slapped a max fine on the problem and made sure it was collected.
Instead they have taken the approach that we are serious about safety BUT the rules are more a suggestion than an edict. Of course the results are predictable to most of us......

Best be careful what you wish for.

Many of us have asked for this for a long time. The sUAS community was able to self police and have an almost spotless safety record for decades. When the bar for entry became non-existent it really hurt our industry. It's beyond time for the FAA to grow a pair and also a set of teeth.

Well, the FAA has used its teeth routinely in the GA arena for the last 50 years. They have been successful at increasing safety. The cost has been the enormous erosion of GA itself. The number of active pilots is at a long time low. There is high concern over the supply of commercial pilots in the near future. The only way for a person of average means is to own an aircraft is to buy an antique or build their own. Either of those options carve out a large segment of potential participants that don't have the time or inclination for those options.
Is this the future of small unmanned personal systems (flying models, camera drones etc.)? Will the cost and hassell factor raise the bar so far that only the folks with professional aspirations or the totally committed can participate?
The FAA is attempting to use education, reliance on type clubs and public outreach for GA; it may be slowing the decline and the safety record has continued to improve.
I would not sell short the educational responses and public outreach efforts.

I think this is a good thing. Too many folks out there are acting irresponsibly. I choose to believe that most of those folks are hobbyists or not even true hobbyists. Too many folks acting now and asking forgiveness later.

Only question in my mind is if the FAA has the resources to enforce this appropriately.

Well Mr. Gump, I disagree a little. Stupid people can be educated to some extent.
That's the thing about stupid. They are, by definition, also hard to educate, and highly likely to misunderstand whatever you try to teach them...

There is a big difference between ignorance and stupidity. Stupidity applies to those who are unwilling to learn or just too stupid to learn. Ignorance means one hasn't been taught.
Many buying drones today are ignorant of the laws, and consequently do things we perceive as stupid.
I believe the law needs to be changed to force anyone purchasing a drone to at least take a basic class on the laws and basic safety guidelines. Then if they choose to violate those laws or safety guidelines stupid would apply.

GadgetGuy, hopefully enforcement is where we separate the stupid from the ignorant. Sorry, but I choose to be one of those "glass half full" people.

R. Perry, I think most people fall into the category of ignorant. You make a good point about the difference between stupid and ignorant.

Compare it to getting a driver's license. Passing a driver's test doesn't produce law abiding drivers, nor competent ones. They still text and drive, drink and drive, speed, and run red lights. Are they ignorant or stupid or both? Average DUI arrestee has driven "drunk" 500x before being caught. Texting and driving is more dangerous than driving drunk. Enforcement is nonexistent, unless you do it flagrantly in front of a cop with nothing more important to do. It's like 50 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean: it's a good start, but they are cranking out new ones far faster than you can drown them! Most of this is just "feel good" regulation, with no teeth, and no real effect. The risk is grossly overstated, and it appears they are only trying to clear the skies so they can be used by drone delivery services! YMMV!

I follow a local drone group on Facebook. Without one single exception, the videos these guys post makes it pretty clear these idiots have ZERO regard for safety.

Reactions: BigAl07
My flights are at a university that has a major construction project in progress. We have four safety inspectors that watch my operations, many times I must delay flights because I would overfly people, if I didn't I wouldn't be there long. Business is a little like sports, you either play by the rules, or get kicked out of the game. I choose to stay in the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905