Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Getting to know ATC?

It is my understanding the only way an airport controller can deny a flight is if the airport is closed to all traffic or for special evens. If I have authorization, and the airport isn't closed, I'm going to notify the airport manager, normally that means leave him a message and perform my flight. The only exception would be is if my flight was in direct line with approach or departure and then most likely one wouldn't get authorization. I would file a NOTAM.
I think more ATC guys are being brought up to speed on FAA regs regarding drone operations, remember, the ATC guy is just suppose to control traffic, not make up rules. Now if all flight operations are canceled for whatever reason then that means drone flights are canceled. If the airport is IFR only due to visibility or surface ceiling then drone operations could be denied.

ATC can deny a flight if they have a legit reason. Your COA is in theory "if everything is perfect". Take for instance last year when I was flying with a CFII (I was PIC actually in the aircraft ) and we were flying in an area adjacent to the runway. We were doing some practice approaches etc and all of a sudden 2 military transports came in and they decided they wanted to shoot some practice "Cargo Drops" in the area. Guess who was the low guy on the totem pole that day? Yep the Cessna 172 got shooed off to a practice area 7 miles away?

So if they have a legit reason our pre-approval isn't going to mean anything. Now if your authorization/COA doesn't stipulate to call the tower then they have no way of knowing you're there nor can they deny the flight.

ATC can deny a flight if they have a legit reason. Your COA is in theory "if everything is perfect". Take for instance last year when I was flying with a CFII (I was PIC actually in the aircraft ) and we were flying in an area adjacent to the runway. We were doing some practice approaches etc and all of a sudden 2 military transports came in and they decided they wanted to shoot some practice "Cargo Drops" in the area. Guess who was the low guy on the totem pole that day? Yep the Cessna 172 got shooed off to a practice area 7 miles away?

So if they have a legit reason our pre-approval isn't going to mean anything. Now if your authorization/COA doesn't stipulate to call the tower then they have no way of knowing you're there nor can they deny the flight.

You are correct, special circumstances or event such as an air show, or military operations would warrant denying a flight. My point was that the air controller must have a ligament reason for denying a flight, as in your example, didn't matter if it was a drone, fixed wing, or helo he had justifiable reason.

I understand the difference, but in this case I am asking for an airspace waiver due to the fact that LANNC is not active around this airport yet. Otherwise, sure, I'd simply ask for a quick authorization via LANNC.

I'm just applying for it now, but was looking ahead as to how to professionally speak to ATC when/if the time comes.

Another thing I am curious about. Assuming I am granted the waiver and I notify ATC 3 days prior and then 30 minutes prior to take off, do they know what waiver I am refering to, and do they call it up on a screen? Do they at least have some sort of waivers list with my name on it? Or do they just take my word that I have a waiver in place? (Unlikely) I know, dumb questions... but I'd like to know how the process works in more detail.
Chances are you won't get an airspace waiver YMMV, what you may get is a Wide Area Authorization that allows flights under published grid altitudes and coordination for anything over or in a 0 grid square. The paperwork looks just like a waiver.

First things first who you are and FAA paperwork if any, time starting, what you are doing, where and altitudes. Keep it short and courteous. Have phone#s and location ready. They are not there to talk. They are usually very busy. Once they get to know you, they are generally very helpful. Have your act together.

Having never initiated a call to ATC (but will have to in the near future), can any of you with experience recommend a standard communication style? "Hi this is John Smith calling in regards to FAA waiver #________ to notify ATC of a low-altitude sUAV operation commencing in 30 minutes, located 6.2 miles to your southeast near the intersection of Route 24 and Harrison Avenue, with a maximum flight altitude of ___ ft AGL." Too wordy? Any tip on how to start the conversation with ATC in official speak would be appreciated.

If you're new to COAs, or just new to a specific field, you might consider calling them up ahead of time to introduce yourself (and your COA number) and go over their protocol. If it's a DOD field and you phone Base Ops they may inform you that they have a UAS Coordinator (whom you can cover procedures with.) Also, be sure and ask your contact if they have a copy of your COA on file. (If not, FAXing a copy can make sure you're both on the same page, procedurally, and makes everyone's job just that much easier.) When you actually call with a mission, be prepared to give them map coordinates as well as street addresses/intersections as they may or may not have a roadmap on hand.

Best of luck.

Reactions: R.Perry
Thanks. My location will actually be near the intersection of two very well known highways, so they are sure to know exactly where I am. Thanks much to everyone for all of the pieces of advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker