Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hand Held Radio

Hmmm, so if it’s a recreational pilot would they use their name or registration number as the identifier as their number covers all their flight platforms?[emoji6][emoji56]

The name might be better as by the time you recited that long series of letters and numbers the threat would have already passed.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
You are required to register each drone that you will fly commercially. The N number is part of that registration.

On the FAA form, I did not see the pilot question. I just went on without it.

But as we all know, LAANC is also now open to recreational flyers. A recreational flyer might have 30 different aircraft, all using the same registration number[emoji6]

You are required to register each drone that you will fly commercially. The N number is part of that registration.

On the FAA form, I did not see the pilot question. I just went on without it.

The N number is only required if you(r):
- unmanned aircraft weight is 55 pounds or greater;
- you want to qualify an sUAS for operation outside the United States;
- you hold title to an sUAS in trust;
- the sUAS owner uses a voting trust to meet US citizenship requirements;
- you are operating for/as a government entity (in which case the registration fee is waived)

Otherwise, the FA number is the way to go.

Wonder if they will start using your FTN number since this sounds like it is coming in the future ?

One of the most important changes is the requirement that all applicants obtain an FAA Tracking Number (FTN) by creating an Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) profile prior to registering for a knowledge test.

Wonder if they will start using your FTN number since this sounds like it is coming in the future ?

One of the most important changes is the requirement that all applicants obtain an FAA Tracking Number (FTN) by creating an Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) profile prior to registering for a knowledge test.

You had to register through IACRA to get your cert anyway so the only real change is for the recreational side.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I was wondering if they would start using the FTN number instead of "tail number" or drone FAA reg # for radio identification. My drone reg # is l-o-n-g and would take me a while to get it out :)

I was wondering if they would start using the FTN number instead of "tail number" or drone FAA reg # for radio identification. :)

I seriously doubt that will happen for either aircraft or radio operator I.D. The FAA has been in process of changing/updating their digital record keeping and training curriculum for some time and the FTN number is most likely a way to maintain user identification consistency within the system.

This issue is stillnot clear and the FCC and FAA still need to get their act together

I paid the $70 for the FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit so I don't have to worry about it. If I need to transmit I'll do so.
Sent an email to FCC concerning the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit and this is their response

Please be advised that the Universal Licensing System reflects the most recent versions of FCC forms. The statement beginning with "I hold an aircraft pilot certificate which is valid in the United States or an FCC Radio Station License issued in my name...." applies only to Limited Use Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permits, which are issued to individuals who have indicated that they are not eligible for employment in the United States.

So I guess I will be doing some more research

I have just now applied. I am $70 short for Christmas, but I sure appreciate the good advice given here. Don't expect to hear me, but I will have my ears on good buddy.

Now I need a good repeater to rebroadcast the local tower frequency. Maybe on a Ham band. Hmmm still they would not hear me in an emergency. I will start with a better antenna. I bought the IC-K220A for the Icom portable.
Did you get your license or any response from the FCC ?

This was the response I received

Please be advised that the Universal Licensing System reflects the most recent versions of FCC forms. The statement beginning with "I hold an aircraft pilot certificate which is valid in the United States or an FCC Radio Station License issued in my name...." applies only to Limited Use Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permits, which are issued to individuals who have indicated that they are not eligible for employment in the United States.

To be honest, I don't know which agency is more screwed up, fcc permit.png
FAA or FCC. Nowhere on my Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit does it say Limited Use and I am not going to stay awake nights worrying about it.

You made a great post. I also mentioned those same frequencies In a previous post. Transmitting even out of tuning spec with a five watt handheld will work in close range to the airport, but optimally, an avionics 1/2 wave tuned antenna in the US should be about 46 inches long and a 2m 1/2 wave ham radio antenna should be about 38 inches long. But If desired, one could modify a 2m band antenna into a inexpensive quarter wave avionics tuned antenna by cutting it down to 23.02 inches.

I think the OP was still shopping for the HT too, so if he calls HRO and talks to the sales people, they would be more than happy to put together the antenna for him to fit his particular radio that endes up buying.

I agree, you can cut down a 1/2-wavelength, 2m Ham antenna for use with an air-band radio. Someone should post instructions.

Also, the air-band handheld radio I own has a standard BNC connector that will fit a Ham antenna with a BNC connector.

Update:
I received my FCC Restricted RadioTelephone License yesterday. Very quick as a PDF file for printing.
I received my magnetic antenna for the iCom Airband Radio.
Magnetic Base Mobile Antenna
I thought that it would interface directly with my iCom A25N handheld, alas it was not to be. The coaxial wire received has a TL259 connector. The radio is BNC output connector. The coax wire is RG58A/U cable and connectors for this are not available at Home Depot. I will be ordering connectors next. The antenna is generic and must be cut for the frequency. So much for plug-n-play. My buddy has a crimp tool. The twist on connectors fail a lot. With shipping, I paid $38.25 for two (1 spare) connectors. This is outrageous.

Amphenol RF031-351
2​
2 Ships 12/23/2019
$14.63​

It seems that iCom could do MUCH better.

Last edited:
I am now more confused then ever concerning the license needed to meet the requirements of radio contact with the ATC when flying my drone. Members have stated they obtained a license for the fee of $70.00. Speaking with the FCC today they said the license type is a AC and the fee is $170.00. Also that it can only be used in conjunction with operating my drone.
I have no problem paying the fee if the information the lady gave me is correct, but I felt she sounded a bit confused on the phone. Any input from licensed members will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Good luck with that. If you obtain the same answer from any two different federal employees working in a regulatory agency you will be the first in history to do so.

Reactions: R.Perry
I am now more confused then ever concerning the license needed to meet the requirements of radio contact with the ATC when flying my drone. Members have stated they obtained a license for the fee of $70.00. Speaking with the FCC today they said the license type is a AC and the fee is $170.00. Also that it can only be used in conjunction with operating my drone.
I have no problem paying the fee if the information the lady gave me is correct, but I felt she sounded a bit confused on the phone. Any input from licensed members will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

The $70 license fee and $100 regulatory fee are described here:

Last edited:
That's all we need, drone pilots talking to ATC, when they're already busy enough with PPL's, ATP's and so on. The other day flying through KMIA airspace "(IFR)" on my way to Ocean Reef was extremely busy with chatter. The last thing we need is some dingowhat drone pilot who has no knowledge what to say and also taking precious time from us in a very very busy air space.:mad:?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy