Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hand Held Radio

That's all we need are drone pilots talking to ATC, when they're already busy enough with PPL's, ATP's and so on. The other day flying through KMIA airspace "(IFR)" on my way to Ocean Reef was extremely busy with chatter. The last thing we need is some dingowhat drone pilot who has no knowledge what to say and also taking precious time from us in a very very busy air space.:mad:?
Wow, you must be a professional pilot, I'm impressed. However making the assumption that drone pilots aren't worthy of your consideration as pilots is a very foolish error. First of all you don't know what the educational or experience level in the aviation world is with someone using a drone professionally. Secondly you fail to understand that anything that flies becomes part of the aviation world, like it or not, you are going to need t live with it. Drone pilots actually fly their aircraft, they don't talk off and let auto do the flying and then log flight time that you didn't actually fly but went along for the ride. Oh, ya, you were busy changing ATC frequencies. Your aircraft most likely flies your ILS approach for you so all you need to do is take control after the inner marker and land.
So, I suppose the "dingowhat" drone pilot shouldn't mess with NOTAM's that you probably don't read, nor should he obey the FAA directive to notify the tower of his authorized operations in controlled airspace that just might interrupt your BS session with whomever is flying with you.

Have a great day Mr. Professional pilot.

That's all we need are drone pilots talking to ATC, when they're already busy enough with PPL's, ATP's and so on. The other day flying through KMIA airspace "(IFR)" on my way to Ocean Reef was extremely busy with chatter. The last thing we need is some dingowhat drone pilot who has no knowledge what to say and also taking precious time from us in a very very busy air space.:mad:?
Nothing wrong with a UAS pilot using a tower or Unicom freq. in an emergency. Let us not get into the "our" airspace and "our" frequencies discussion. Nobody owns the airwaves. For that matter nobody owns airspace.

@AH-1G

First, considering I am the person that started this thread I am curious if you are directing your comment, “some dingowhat drone pilot who has no knowledge what to say”, at me? If so, I would like you articulate how you came to that conclusion considering we have never communicated, either verbally or via text.

Secondly if you had read my first post you would have observed that one of the requirements of my flight authorization is that UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. This was NOT my choosing but a requirement set forth by the FAA.

Since I am not aware of an alternate method to communicate with the ATC tower, I am sure with your superior knowledge you will be willing to enlighten me. Until such time I will comply with the FAA directive.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
@AH-1G

First, considering I am the person that started this thread I am curious if you are directing your comment, “some dingowhat drone pilot who has no knowledge what to say”, at me? If so, I would like you articulate how you came to that conclusion considering we have never communicated, either verbally or via text.

Secondly if you had read my first post you would have observed that one of the requirements of my flight authorization is that UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. This was NOT my choosing but a requirement set forth by the FAA.

Since I am not aware of an alternate method to communicate with the ATC tower, I am sure with your superior knowledge you will be willing to enlighten me. Until such time I will comply with the FAA directive.
EXCUSE ME!!!!
I was not directing you as a "dingowhat", if I was I would do so. I did read the first post.

Wow, you must be a professional pilot, I'm impressed. However making the assumption that drone pilots aren't worthy of your consideration as pilots is a very foolish error. First of all you don't know what the educational or experience level in the aviation world is with someone using a drone professionally. Secondly you fail to understand that anything that flies becomes part of the aviation world, like it or not, you are going to need t live with it. Drone pilots actually fly their aircraft, they don't talk off and let auto do the flying and then log flight time that you didn't actually fly but went along for the ride. Oh, ya, you were busy changing ATC frequencies. Your aircraft most likely flies your ILS approach for you so all you need to do is take control after the inner marker and land.
So, I suppose the "dingowhat" drone pilot shouldn't mess with NOTAM's that you probably don't read, nor should he obey the FAA directive to notify the tower of his authorized operations in controlled airspace that just might interrupt your BS session with whomever is flying with you.

Have a great day Mr. Professional pilot.
RPerry, you of all people know there is more than turning a few knobs to get to your destination, change waypoints being diverted to name a few, but I don't expect you know that since you were a crop duster.
I've been flying my drone since March 2017 and have seen a number of foolish people flying drones.
I would rather see those who want to communicate with ATC and Unicom take a class on how to communicate in an already busy airspace.
Wrong on all pilots flying drones, many auto features for drones have implemented flying waypoints by the press of your finger.

RPerry, you of all people know there is more than turning a few knobs to get to your destination, change waypoints being diverted to name a few, but I don't expect you know that since you were a crop duster.
I've been flying my drone since March 2017 and have seen a number of foolish people flying drones.
I would rather see those who want to communicate with ATC and Unicom take a class on how to communicate in an already busy airspace.
Wrong on all pilots flying drones, many auto features for drones have implemented flying waypoints by the press of your finger.

Fist of all let me apologize for my sarcasm, and yes I was making light of your responsibility as PIC. Yes I was a crop duster years ago before using up eight of my nine lives, and Navy Aviator prior to that, and fly many charters over the years in high traffic areas. Also when you mix bad weather, ATC demands, it can get a bit hectic.

You are correct that many drone operators have done some pretty foolish things, I have also seen and read about fixed wing and helo pilots doing some dumb things, lets face it, we are all human and make mistakes, we just hope that our mistakes don't kill us or someone else. We also need to remember the learning curve new pilots face, unfortunately people can go out and buy a drone and fly it with no experience, I'm sure we have all seen videos that shows the results.

So, again, I do have a warped sense of humor, so will try to be more PC in the future.

I agree with you, having seen first hand fixed wing pilots being irresponsible and still see it today. We are human and will always make mistakes.
New years day we landed a Citation 5 picking up clients just north of Atlanta. Not all went well, we turned off from the runway and got stuck in the mud. Yep the towered airport was shut down for two ours until we were able to get back on the taxi way. No damage except ego's and a couple 100 dollar bills for folks helping us out. I wasn't steering but I neglected to mention the impending event. But my mic quit working?????
Lesson, pay attention to the yellow lines, they're there for a reason. ?
Dusk landing with a wet runway.?
At least Control Tower personal got an extended break, however I'm sure Atlanta Central wasn't to happy since they had to divert others elsewhere.?????.
I have a picture of us stuck, but no way am I going to post it!!!
No feelings hurt, apology accepted and my apologies to you also.

Last edited:
I agree with you, having seen first hand fixed wing pilots being irresponsible and still see it today. We are human and will always make mistakes.
New years day we landed a Citation 5 picking up clients just north of Atlanta. Not all went well, we turned off from the runway and got stuck in the mud. Yep the towered airport was shut down for two ours until we were able to get back on the taxi way. No damage except ego's and a couple 100 dollar bills for folks helping us out. I wasn't steering but I neglected to mention the impending event. But my mic quit working?????
Lesson, pay attention to the yellow lines, they're there for a reason. ?
Dusk landing with a wet runway.?
At least Control Tower personal got an extended break, however I'm sure Atlanta Central wasn't to happy since they had to divert others elsewhere.?????.
I have a picture of us stuck, but no way am I going to post it!!!
Tail # purposely edited off.
No feelings hurt, apology accepted and my apologies to you also.
My favorite pilot cranial rectal inversion: (No, I'm not going to list mine)

Reactions: R.Perry
Well I'm not admitting to ever screwing the pooch, other than clipping a power line that caused me to rethink the crop dusting business. Situational awareness is something that is becoming much more difficult as automation takes more control of the aircraft, be it drone or manned. Personally I don't know how the airline guys do it, too many hours with nothing to do. As stated I've done many charters, in a variety of aircraft, I have also found myself shooting the bull with my passengers because auto was doing all the work, then saying, "oh where am I, until I remember to look at the GPS"

Yep! At least the crew chief had the mind to get a fire extinguisher then turning the master switch off, after what look like a blade hit him.
The overhead strobe was still on... maybe he just turned the engine off..

Edit: Oh never mind, The crewman walked away without doing anything but the ground crew guy did turn it off. I like how he also closed the compartment door after he opened it, too. Good maintenance procedure, keeps dirt and birds from getting into the helicopter ;)

Received my FCC license today so thanks for everybody that gave me input. Now this dingowhat can take up precious airtime communicating with the ATC tower when required to do so.

There had been discussion on identifying my "aircraft" when speaking with the tower. The FAA now issues FAA Number/FCC Call Sign very similar to an actual tail number. Mine is 5 letters starting with N, followed by 3 numbers.

For those that might be interested, Sporty’s Pilot Shop is one of the places with a good selection of brands and models to review. Aircraft Spruce and Specialty is another.
Considering one of the stipulations of my flight authorization was to maintain radio contact with the ATC tower, if required to do so, I contacted Sporty's concerning the purchase of a hand held radio. Very impressed with their honesty - here is a copy of their email. I am 3 miles from the ATC tower in an area of trees, homes and hills.

Eric Carnahan <[email protected]>
Sun 7/5/2020 11:08 AM
To:

• You
Dear Mavic Mac,

Thank you for your email.

The realistic range on the ground is from 1 to 1 1/2 miles. The radios are line of sight.

It may be more realistic to have contact with the tower via phone.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

They could have just as easily sold me a radio

You also need a license to transmit on an air band radio unless it’s a life & death emergency. The license I got took 40-hrs of effort, was $400, and is only good at one airport. You don’t need a license to listen.

Reactions: iaincaradoc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV