Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How can I know the AGL altitude of a picture?

I am looking at the metadata but the altitude it indicates seems too low...how do I know at what height the pic was taken?
Post the actual image file and I'll find out what I can for you (original file .. the jpg is fine if you have it)

I believe the DJI phantom 4 (and other models) geotag the altitude with the barometer altitude, not the gps altitude. This has never made any sense for my use cases, but maybe it makes sense for other use cases? Some planning apps will snap a picture on the ground right before launch. Then you can just do the math. Other times I guessed based on how high I told the drone to fly vs. what the approximate ground altitude is at the launch point (using something like SRTM). I'm probably missing something obvious and easy, but those are the sorts of things I have done to work around the issue.

Oh, I believe the DJI mavic 2 pro does geotag the images with the actual gps altitude, so that has been convenient. However, when I hunt through the dji mavic 2 pro flight logs (when flying with the dji go app) no where can I find gps altitude logged. However, when you capture a movie with subtitles turned on, the subtitles include the gps altitude. So all that has been super fun as I've tried to sort through different survey strategies to address some of my own specialized mapping needs.

Reactions: lalvar41
There are two altitudes buried in the metadata for that image.
Absolute Altitude: 19.02 metres
Relative Altitude: 76.40 metres

Absolute altitude is DJI's "rough" approximation of altitude above sea level.
But because of the way they calculate it, this is always wrong, sometimes a couple of hundred feet out and the number is useless.

Relative Altitude is the height above launch point as shown on your flying screen.
This should be accurate +/- a couple of metres.
So ... you shot that pic at about 76 metres or 249 feet.

i-W9w8Rw5-XL.jpg

However, when I hunt through the dji mavic 2 pro flight logs (when flying with the dji go app) no where can I find gps altitude logged.
It's in the image metadata.
You just have to know where to look.

Reactions: dronecyclops
But because of the way they calculate it, this is always wrong, sometimes a couple of hundred feet out and the number is useless.

Yep.

There are two altitudes buried in the metadata for that image.
Absolute Altitude: 19.02 metres
Relative Altitude: 76.40 metres

Relative Altitude is the height above launch point as shown on your flying screen.
This should be accurate +/- a couple of metres.
So ... you shot that pic at about 76 metres or 249 feet.

i-W9w8Rw5-XL.jpg

It's in the image metadata.
You just have to know where to look.
All you said makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much. By the way, which app are you using to get the full metadata details? In Lightroom I don't see all the info you see.

All you said makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much. By the way, which app are you using to get the full metadata details? In Lightroom I don't see all the info you see.
That was Picture Information Extractor (and that was only part of the information)

Reactions: lalvar41
Another tip for when you have a good horizon in the background.

The line between your eye and the horizon while flying in a plane (or the drone’s camera in this case) is a level line.

So, any object above the horizon is above you and any object below the horizon (like the top of the building in your photo) is below you.

Good to know if you are a private, drone, or fighter pilot. Ignoring today’s advanced weapons, in general, fighter pilots have more options and the advantage when they are above their opponent(s).

Assuming a commercial building’s floors are 10’ to 12’ high, you can use the building in the photo as a scale to estimate the height of the drone.

Last edited:
After a sad/unexpected experience last spring, I now burn the first part of my first battery launching and climbing and looking around at the horizon until there are no tree tops extending above the horizon. Then I can note that altitude as my minimum safe survey altitude for the area.

Reactions: Earthman
Well I came up with closer to 280 to 300 feet AGL, you have a twenty four story building and you are slightly above it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN