Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Info on creating complete deliverable for Golf Course

TimmyD

Reaction score
Hey folks! Loving this forum and reading thru everything. I have a P4 and I2 and Pix4d. I really have a multi part question regarding golf courses. I am really trying to identify some good niche markets and get my foot in the door.
For doing golf courses, I went to the website of one of my local courses. There is nothing on their site regarding any maps of the course, 3D models, etc.
1. For you guys doing this already, what exactly did you provide to the golf course (what was the final product)?
2. What software did you use?
3. Obviously it can vary, but what would be the average charge for mapping and creating a 3D model of the golf course.
4. Does your final product (deliverable) have an additional app that is used to view the 3D model of where they are on the course? In other words does the GPS on their phone place them in the model so they can look around and see where they are going based on real time GPS?

Any advice or info on this will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Timmy welcome to the forum. I've done a few golf courses (only 9 hole courses that I have on my site) you can view them at A Higher Perspective, LLC website. I have not done any 3D modeling, only aerial overviews hole by hole and then some additional amenities. There are a couple of different videos for the Mt. Massive course. All of these were shot with the P3P, except maybe the Salida golf course was at least partially shot with my Matrix and Sony NEX 7. I have charged around $400 for the 9 hole overview and I give the option of one video or separate hole videos. I use Premiere Pro for editing. I welcome anyone to chime in on the pricing, because I live in a pretty remote area and don't have anyone else's prices to compare to.

Last edited:
Reactions: zezrum
@TimmyD: This is a great questions and also one without a great answer at this point. There are a whole bunch of partial solutions out there, but nothing we have found that covers everything we like to offer golf courses (either locally or through our pilot network). What we do is pretty complex and involves both cinematic services as well as technical services. We use drones, ground cameras, slow motion cameras, RGB sensors, NDVI sensors, ground control points and then have to use a custom reporting solution for it all. I know its a lot of info to think about. We will be starting to schedule training for our golf program to our pilot network in March if you are interested in partnering up with us to work on courses in your area. If not, we are equally as happy to help point you in the right direction for the work you are wanting to do. To get information on our training, join our pilot network and one of the guys will call and talk to you further about it.

Thanks!

Pilot Network Registration

Reactions: BigAl07
@TimmyD: To get information on our training, join our pilot network and one of the guys will call and talk to you further about it.

Thanks!

That sounds great, but I registered with your pilot network and never heard another word.

edit: FDS made sure that I was contacted quickly and with surprisingly positive results. See my post below.

Last edited:
That sounds great, but I registered with your pilot network and never heard another word.
I am sorry about that. I am guessing I can look up your company name (A Higher Perspective) and make sure someone reaches out to you later today. If I have any trouble finding you I will let you know.

@TimmyD: This is a great questions and also one without a great answer at this point. There are a whole bunch of partial solutions out there, but nothing we have found that covers everything we like to offer golf courses (either locally or through our pilot network). What we do is pretty complex and involves both cinematic services as well as technical services. We use drones, ground cameras, slow motion cameras, RGB sensors, NDVI sensors, ground control points and then have to use a custom reporting solution for it all. I know its a lot of info to think about. We will be starting to schedule training for our golf program to our pilot network in March if you are interested in partnering up with us to work on courses in your area. If not, we are equally as happy to help point you in the right direction for the work you are wanting to do. To get information on our training, join our pilot network and one of the guys will call and talk to you further about it.

Thanks!

I'm interested in hearing more about your training. I just registered in your network.

Thanks!

Before registering can do advise if you can use pilots with a Mavic only drone and not the higher end equipment you mention in your post? Thanks!

Before registering can do advise if you can use pilots with a Mavic only drone and not the higher end equipment you mention in your post? Thanks!

Thanks for your question @Bob L, some of our projects do have minimum requirements such as a 20MP camera and interchangeable lenses. We have not used Mavic footage for any of our work as of yet.

We do have many members in our network that have Mavic Pro's only that are building flight time before they move up to another copter. Being registered in our network will keep you in our sites so if we do have something that fits you and your equipment we will already have your info and have you vetted. Before we can put anyone to work they will also need a 107 certificate.

Thanks for your question @Bob L, some of our projects do have minimum requirements such as a 20MP camera and interchangeable lenses. We have not used Mavic footage for any of our work as of yet.

We do have many members in our network that have Mavic Pro's only that are building flight time before they move up to another copter. Being registered in our network will keep you in our sites so if we do have something that fits you and your equipment we will already have your info and have you vetted. Before we can put anyone to work they will also need a 107 certificate.

Thanks! 107, PPL, and retired controller. Will register!

Thanks!

you guys started the training again yet for tower inspections. They where full and you were not doing any more yet last time we spoke

What copter are most of your pilots using?

It sounds like an Inspire would be needed at a minimum to have the interchangeable lens option.

For the flight profiles we fly for the cell towers the P4P serves our pilots well. For projects needing interchangeable lenses the Inspire 2 and up are good choices. The Inspire 1 is 16mp and does not meet the standards required by some of our clients.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM