Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

LANNC Submission Pending ATC approval in 0 grid assistance

All,

Thank you for the great conversation! I recieved my 4th denial due to the FAA not reviewing 24hrs prior to the flight plan. I put this one over 30 days out. I am going to call the Airport Manager and see if I can get in touch with someone who can give me roadmap as to why these are not being reviewed at all. Rather disappointing since it is a LANNC airport.

I would probably lower altitude to 100 ft since you are so close to the approach/departure runway and let them them know you will check the UASFM on the day of your intented flight along with calling ATC one hour before your intended operation. I plan on submitting two zero grid authorizations thru dronezone within a week or two. I recently got approved for same two class D airspace blanket areas. Here’s what I put on a Saturday afternoon and got approved for both class D airspace by Monday morning 10:00 am.

Attachments

• 1EA134FA-5DBA-418B-AAFC-481F0FE3ACE4.jpeg
    1EA134FA-5DBA-418B-AAFC-481F0FE3ACE4.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 14
All,

I was issued another denial today from the FAA, but this time through Drone Zone. I'm considering resubmitting and dropping my ceiling to 100'. Do you think with this verbiage, I'll even be considered? It sounds to me like it's not going to happen at any ceiling.

"Thank you submitting a 14 CFR Part 107.41 request for authorization through the automated FAA small unmanned aircraft (sUAS) authorization application portal. We are unable to approve your authorization near KLBB (see attachment 1) for the following reason(s): After careful review, we are unable to effectively mitigate the potential risk of your proposed operation to an acceptable level. Your request is too close to the runways. The facility is not approving authorizations in the area you requested due to a conflict with arrivals/departures. The safety case was not feasible and therefore the facility cannot approve your request at this time. If you have any further questions, please contact the FAA Helpdesk at 844-FLY-MY-UA (844-359-6982) or e-mail at [email protected]. "

Sometimes no means no. A conflict with arrivals and departures that cannot be mitigated means there is no safe altitude, otherwise they would have approved you at the altitude they felt was safe.

As stated in the post before mine I'd say No...

With this:
".....The facility is not approving authorizations in the area you requested due to a conflict with arrivals/departures. The safety case was not feasible and therefore the facility cannot approve your request at this time. ......"

it sounds like they aren't inclined to allow any altitude. One of the ones we were working on they came back with an option for a lower height and we accepted. I would guess (and only a guess) since the didn't offer that it's not an option for that location.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
As is often the case, Al said it much better than I did. I just did one (see earlier in the string) that was offset from the extended centerline of a runway by 1.25 miles at 60° relative with a half mile radius. It was in a 50' zone. I had asked for 200' but got approved for 115' (35m). Maybe that makes better sense to you as to why they would say no to yours being in the approach and departure lanes? And a thank you to Al for cleaning that up for me :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Hello all!

I have a Golf Course that is very interested in my services, but they are located within a Class C airspace, near LBB International. I have submitted 4 LANNC authorizations for a 200' ceiling for mapping and turf analysis, but have gotten them denied due to the FAA not reviewing them. I have submitted 2 with a 2 week lead time and am on my second pending for 30+ days submission prior to the flight.

The first three were submitted through Airmap and my current and still pending is through Skyward.IO. The app also states to not call ATC, as it may cause delays.

What can I do to see where I am in the process? Myself and the customer are frustrated. The green area in the attached picture is the approximate location of the Golf Course.

Any input is appreciated!
You've gotten some great responses here on why you are getting denied. Looking at the proximity to the runway and the approach/departure paths, I don't think it is really feasible to expect clearance for any altitude there. Certainly 200 feet is way too much of an ask.

On a different note, what I would recommend for your future business is to always look at the area prior to submitting a quote to the potential client. If the flight is to take place in any sort of controlled airspace, I make that very clear to the client and note that the project is contingent on approval by the FAA. I tell them what the maximum anticipated clearance altitude will be and how it may impact the project.
This way the potential client knows in advance that there may be an issue and it also shows them that you are very professional and know what you are doing. If you don't say anything in advance and then cannot get approval, the client starts to scratch their head and say "shouldn't a professional pilot have known this already?" It could be the difference between getting referrals and not getting them.

You've gotten some great responses here on why you are getting denied. Looking at the proximity to the runway and the approach/departure paths, I don't think it is really feasible to expect clearance for any altitude there. Certainly 200 feet is way too much of an ask.

On a different note, what I would recommend for your future business is to always look at the area prior to submitting a quote to the potential client. If the flight is to take place in any sort of controlled airspace, I make that very clear to the client and note that the project is contingent on approval by the FAA. I tell them what the maximum anticipated clearance altitude will be and how it may impact the project.
This way the potential client knows in advance that there may be an issue and it also shows them that you are very professional and know what you are doing. If you don't say anything in advance and then cannot get approval, the client starts to scratch their head and say "shouldn't a professional pilot have known this already?" It could be the difference between getting referrals and not getting them.
Well said !

Reactions: BigAl07
All!

Thank you for the inputs! I was FINALLY approved for this request @ 100AGL!. It's going to be a long mission, but I can now get started.

Without your inputs, I doubt this would have been approved. Thanks again, and I look forward to our future discussions!

All!

Thank you for the inputs! I was FINALLY approved for this request @ 100AGL!. It's going to be a long mission, but I can now get started.

Without your inputs, I doubt this would have been approved. Thanks again, and I look forward to our future discussions!
Hey persistence paid off!

Reactions: JDS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM