Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Lens adaptor for M2P?

CaryG

Reaction score
Hi Fred, moderators, et al--

I'm a professional photographer in the SF Bay area, specializing primarily in architecture and real estate. I added a Mavic 2 Pro to my kit a couple of years ago and love it. The only thing I don't like is being limited to a 28mm lens, but I'm not so unhappy that I'd consider buying an Inspire.

That said, I'm wondering whether anyone makes some version of a telephoto extender that could be clipped to the front of the lens housing, in the same way the way I attach my ND filters. This seems a bit farfetched, partly because the telephoto extenders I've seen for DSLR gear typically attach to the back of the lens and sit between it and the camera body. But doesn't this seem like an obvious product to develop? It would be so great if I could clip on an extender and convert my 28mm to a 56mm (or better yet, an 84 or a 112).

Does anybody on the forum know enough about optics to know if such a thing would be possible -- or if someone is already making this? I'd love to know. The Hassy lens on the M2P is, as others have pointed out, really exceptional, and I wouldn't want to compromise that quality. But still, we can dream, can't we?

An ND filter is minimal weight on end of lens and about the max the gimbal can handle. A lens (1.5-2x) to modify focal would probably easily exceed this weight limitation. Your desire of 3-5x, I haven't seen that offered even on DSLR adapters.

Most desire a wider field vs telephoto. Is your subject not obtainable by moving M2P closer?

Next suggestion, Topaz Gigapixel to enhance detail, enlarge and crop to desired section. I've found Gigapixel to perform much better than most competitors and can provide detailed crop similarly obtained with small telephoto.

An ND filter is minimal weight on end of lens and about the max the gimbal can handle. A lens to modify focal would probably easily exceed this weight limitation.

Most desire a wider field vs telephoto. Is your subject not obtainable by moving M2P closer?

Next suggestion, Topaz Gigapixel to enhance detail, enlarge and crop to desired section. I've found Gigapixel to perform much better than most competitors and can provide detailed crop similarly obtained with small telephoto.
Hmm, interesting, I didn't know about that. Works with LR and PS?

On a side comment, I've taken a very small image... practically a thumbnail and produced a 11x14 that many thought was a teley shot. It's been a few years... but I think I did that one in 2-3 stages using Enhance & Noise products between stages.

Try the Topaz products... great products.

You might be surprised with what you can dig out of an M2P image.....

Last edited:
That is a worthwhile payload. I purchased one around same time as M2P. Very easy & quick swap... although the micro-connector will weaken eventually for connectivity within socket... although I'd est over several hundred as a minimum. As far as FW and apps it's no issue... it's recognized as a M2Z.

I purchased one around same time as M2P. Very easy & quick swap... although the micro-connector will weaken eventually for connectivity within socket... although I'd est over several hundred as a minimum. As far as FW and apps it's no issue... it's recognized as a M2Z.

Same here. I then decided to purchase an M2 craft and controller only and currently have both M2P and M2Z. Looking forward to the specs of the M3 supposedly this year.

Same here. I then decided to purchase an M2 craft and controller only and currently have both M2P and M2Z. Looking forward to the specs of the M3 supposedly this year.
Agree, I'm hoping for good things on the M3P. I'm waiting on a M2EA till more info appears on M3P.

The oddity on the M2P/Z swap... was indicated to refrain due to not being a true swappable payload design. The EVO2 is swappable, and uses the same micro socket connector, but added a small top plate that screws down to assist in maintaining a secure connection. This top plate may help hold the connection down, although that wouldn't be an issue until the socket started to be loose... which would be more of the same in the lifespan of the micro socket small connection pins. On the Mavic, if and when the socket became loose, the small board containing the socket could easily be replaced too.

I couldn't find a MTBF rating on the socket, but I guess if treated gently and pulled straight up and not twisted, would last longer than needed.

The most recent release of Camera RAW (13.2) has a pretty cool resolution booster through the Enhance function (control+click). I haven't made a print with it yet, but the computed image size basically doubles.

Also, I've had good success with my architectural subjects by stitching panoramas together with my P4A. I have made prints north of 40" and they look great.

Enhancing an image never seems to work like it does in the movies.

For now there really is no replacement to physically changing the zoom of the drone. I could have sworn I saw different "lenses" for the Mavic which are literally what you are asking for

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM