Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Need help pricing my work.

Illuminations

Reaction score
I've been approached by a company looking to hire me as a drone pilot and photo video editor on a contract basis. Basically, they would get the clients, and I go out to do the flying, as well as the photo and video editing. The difficulty is that they want me to propose what I would charge for my services, and as someone who is new to working in these fields in a professional capacity, I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should charge.

I am a reasonably skilled pilot, and have many years of experience shooting and editing photos and videos. It is only in working as a professional for clients that I have no experience at all. The company in question is a startup, and work will be sparse to start out with, and they want me to work at a reduced rate to start. They have promised that as the business grows, expands, and picks up more clients my rates will go up, and that a contract position might one day turn into a salaried position depending upon how well the company does.

I am thinking of starting at a $30 per hour (or any part thereof) rate, with $0.60 per mile to cover mileage, or the cost of airfare and accommodations if necessary.

For photo and video editing, I'm thinking of charging $100 per minute of finished video, and $10 per photo, with extra fees depending on complexity and other factors.

What do you think? Too much? Too Little? How much do you charge for your work?

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate some advice!

Welcome to the forum :)

You and only you can price YOUR work.

Here's a search that might give you some good research material to get you started:

Thanks - I'm really just looking for a point of reference. I've found so much conflicting information, and there are so many factors to consider......... it's all kind of overwhelming!

I'm considering now charging this particular company on a percentage before expenses basis.

As big A said, only you can price your work. Different parts of the country demand different rates from what I've seen.

Depending on where you live 30 hr to me wouldn't be enough, remember you have insurance, cost of the drone and future maintenance or repairs, battery replacement, and on and on.

Take the total cost of your drone and all additional equipment, depreciate that over a maximum of three years. Then when you get jobs, on a monthly basis deduct that depreciation from your income.

I fly a Inspire 2, have eight pairs of batteries and the replacement cost is 13,500.00. I know the folks I'm working for depreciate on a three year basis. That is $375.00 a month. That isn't counting battery replacement, add your insurance to that and then figure how much you can stick in your pocket each month.

The $30.00 is that charged during travel, if not the 60 cents a mile is too low.

Just my opinions.

As big A said, only you can price your work. Different parts of the country demand different rates from what I've seen.

Depending on where you live 30 hr to me wouldn't be enough, remember you have insurance, cost of the drone and future maintenance or repairs, battery replacement, and on and on.

Take the total cost of your drone and all additional equipment, depreciate that over a maximum of three years. Then when you get jobs, on a monthly basis deduct that depreciation from your income.

I fly a Inspire 2, have eight pairs of batteries and the replacement cost is 13,500.00. I know the folks I'm working for depreciate on a three year basis. That is $375.00 a month. That isn't counting battery replacement, add your insurance to that and then figure how much you can stick in your pocket each month.

The $30.00 is that charged during travel, if not the 60 cents a mile is too low.

Just my opinions.

Yes, I think now that $30 per hour really is too low. Replacement cost isn't so much in my case, since I'm only flying a Mavic 2. However, I do still have to keep equipment related costs in mind. Also, it may be that I will have to rent or purchase more expensive/specialized equipment at some point.

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I think now that $30 per hour really is too low. Replacement cost isn't so much in my case, since I'm only flying a Mavic 2. .
If you are going pro, you'd better factor in a second identical drone as a backup.
You don't want to be turning down work because a little issue has you grounded.

Reactions: PatR and BigAl07
One is none, two is one. Whenever a single point of failure can shut down an operation, having at least two of those items need to be on hand.

Reactions: BigAl07
I've been approached by a company looking to hire me as a drone pilot and photo video editor on a contract basis. Basically, they would get the clients, and I go out to do the flying, as well as the photo and video editing. The difficulty is that they want me to propose what I would charge for my services, and as someone who is new to working in these fields in a professional capacity, I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should charge.

I am a reasonably skilled pilot, and have many years of experience shooting and editing photos and videos. It is only in working as a professional for clients that I have no experience at all. The company in question is a startup, and work will be sparse to start out with, and they want me to work at a reduced rate to start. They have promised that as the business grows, expands, and picks up more clients my rates will go up, and that a contract position might one day turn into a salaried position depending upon how well the company does.

I am thinking of starting at a $30 per hour (or any part thereof) rate, with $0.60 per mile to cover mileage, or the cost of airfare and accommodations if necessary.

For photo and video editing, I'm thinking of charging $100 per minute of finished video, and $10 per photo, with extra fees depending on complexity and other factors.

What do you think? Too much? Too Little? How much do you charge for your work?

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate some advice!
I'm guessing that you currently hold a 107?
Pricing depends on what geographical area you're at. Here in Central Florida it's back stabbing, around here they don't want to cough up money.
What is the average price of projects in your area. Some folks will have a website and post what their rates are, then you can determine what rate you may want to charge to be competitive.
Sometimes starting at a reduced rate may be the only alternative for now, but with your experience you should be able to bargain in your favor.
How good are you at marketing yourself? Lots of leg work, word of mouth should get you jobs.

Its' a capitalistic society so if u can tell me who u are working with , I will submit a bid of $25.00, show my log book, make them sign a waiver of responsibility and add expenses.

One is none, two is one. Whenever a single point of failure can shut down an operation, having at least two of those items need to be on hand.

Why not three? Why not four? If the first can fail so can the second.

Sure it's great to have a back-up but it's not always affordable for someone just starting. By your definition I've been doing drone aerial photography for two years without even having a drone because I've got "none."

I'm guessing that you currently hold a 107?
Pricing depends on what geographical area you're at. Here in Central Florida it's back stabbing, around here they don't want to cough up money.
What is the average price of projects in your area. Some folks will have a website and post what their rates are, then you can determine what rate you may want to charge to be competitive.
Sometimes starting at a reduced rate may be the only alternative for now, but with your experience you should be able to bargain in your favor.
How good are you at marketing yourself? Lots of leg work, word of mouth should get you jobs.

Yep, just got my temporary certificate!
I have been looking around for local pricing, but most drone services here in Washington don't openly advertise their rates.

In any case, instead of replying with a counter offer, the company seemed to actually take offense at my pricing proposal! Chalk this one up to experience I guess. Honestly though, judging by their response it's probably for the best - it seems that they actually wanted to pay me a pittance!

I'm thinking that I should go ahead and start marketing my own services, why settle for 15% of the profits?

Reactions: AH-1G
I'm thinking that I should go ahead and start marketing my own services, why settle for 15% of the profits?
[/QUOTE]
15%! o_O
Even though they've done the marketing, now you have to do the work.
Lets see;
drive to location, your expense.
scout area, high and low, making sure it's save.
prep your drone for flight,
using your equipment,
fly you project,
pack up, oh before packing up, review your flight. oops! Bad idea to get home and something you missed, been there done that.:eek::oops:
drive home
download info on computer
upload to client, no post production...?
I'm sure I missed something, oh yea, how much is this all worth to you?
Sometimes it's better to work for yourself. However it does take time to build a network of business. :D

Your price has to match your product.

If your product is not up to scratch you will only get one or two jobs regardless of price.

If your product is good then you shouldn't under-price yourself or they will wonder why (as will you after a while).

If you are confident then charge enough to say "I'm good and you need me" but not so much as if to say "I'm guessing/hopeful/greedy."

My son once said to me "if you don't value yourself, why should others." Smart for a ten year old!

If you're good then your prices should make them believe they're getting the best, but not a rip off..

Reactions: BigAl07 and AH-1G
The amount you charge is up to you, however I would suggest sating away form hourly and just go to a flat fee. I have had more issues dealing with clients on hourly based rates that anything. Flat rate it, then add on the options.

Reactions: BigAl07
The amount you charge is up to you, however I would suggest sating away form hourly and just go to a flat fee. I have had more issues dealing with clients on hourly based rates that anything. Flat rate it, then add on the options.

That's how we do it as well.

The hourly rate is a pain in the side because the client only sees you on site for a few minutes and doesn't understand the Big Picture. So we do "Job Rates" with extras.

Why not three? Why not four? If the first can fail so can the second.

Sure it's great to have a back-up but it's not always affordable for someone just starting. By your definition I've been doing drone aerial photography for two years without even having a drone because I've got "none."

If you have the business to support them and the cash to afford them, why not have three or more? If you have the clientele you then have the option of hiring another remote pilot to expand your business.

I flew for 10 years without having to supply an aircraft, but every mission had three aircraft ready to fly. One primary, two back ups, and many times we went through all three and into a fourth when the first three failed pre-launch checks. Each aircraft started at $140,000.00 and went up as payloads changed. Their price was nothing compared to the value they provided. They had to fly as lives truly depended on having them present.

When I have a job that absolutely has to be performed at a specific day and time I have a back up aircraft. If the primary fails, and they have, I can still get the job done, collect the money, and protect my reputation for being dependable.

You don’t have to have a back up, but like a carpenter that broke the handle on his only hammer, you can come to work prepared to get the job done by having a spare hammer or go home without any pay.

Sure, it’s hard to afford s back up when first starting out but how many professionals have but one tool to work with? We all start somewhere but perhaps someone that can only afford and has but one drone is getting a little ahead of themselves. They would be in an all or nothing crap shoot. If your equipment fails, so do you.

15%! o_O
Even though they've done the marketing, now you have to do the work.
Lets see;
drive to location, your expense.
scout area, high and low, making sure it's save.
prep your drone for flight,
using your equipment,
fly you project,
pack up, oh before packing up, review your flight. oops! Bad idea to get home and something you missed, been there done that.:eek::oops:
drive home
download info on computer
upload to client, no post production...?
I'm sure I missed something, oh yea, how much is this all worth to you?
Sometimes it's better to work for yourself. However it does take time to build a network of business. :D
[/QUOTE]

I upload all my photos to my laptop before I leave the job site, and spot review the photos to make sure they meet the quality that I need.

15% of quoted job is too low if you are supplying your own insurance and equipment, but that is just my opinion.

Here's how I see it.

Two is better than one, but one is better than none. If one is better than none, then one is not none.

If my equipment fails, it fails for that particular job or particular day. It doesn't mean I fail forever. Someone starting out can get by with just one drone and he doesn't need to wait until he can afford to own two.

I'm not disagreeing with the concept of having backup equipment, just with the idea that if he doesn't have it, he should wait until he does. I also disagree with personal opinions presented as "dogma." Sure, it would be great to have a backup or multiple back-ups, but I'd never discourage anyone from trying if he has only one unit to work with and wouldn't assert that it is "none" until he has another.

I understand your point but I also recognize it’s better to be prepared than not. Where someone wants or can be is a personal thing and how they go about there business is up to them

I made a suggestion, which you call dogma, based upon experience and common sense. If someone wants to bet the bank on a single point of failure their risk is much greater than for someone that allows for contingencies.

Someone just starting out, that can’t afford a back up drone, camera, or whatever, is in all probability going to fail anyway as they will likely be under capitalized and unable to survive for the amount of time required to build a profitable business. Going that route works fine for a “hobby” business where it doesn’t matter if a profit is made.

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN