Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New UK regulations EASA

Good idea.

My first thought is that I'm not sure whether I should register as the PfCO holder or as a qualified pilot, as I am both. I belive that either way is OK.

My second thought is that I may as well tear up my PfCO if this goes ahead in its present form?

Good idea.

My first thought is that I'm not sure whether I should register as the PfCO holder or as a qualified pilot, as I am both. I belive that either way is OK.

My second thought is that I may as well tear up my PfCO if this goes ahead in its present form?
Hi Geoff
A lot of flesh to be put on the bones for existing PfCO holders I think ?

Reactions: Geoff G UK
Well obviously we are a little further down the line now and everyone will/should be aware that the PfCO is effectively dead with effect from July 1st this year.
The CAA will no longer differentiate between commercial and recreational flying so anyone is free to go out and operate commercially with the caveat that they must hold insurance.

Obviously there are other things to consider like which category you are going to be flying in and which sub category together with class of aircraft etc.

The A2 CofC will allow for higher MTOM aircraft to be flown in closer proximity and a GVC will enable flights down to 5m from uninvolved people (subject to the 1:1 rule).

Thankfully - it is quite straightforward, and dare I say sensible. The added 'bonus' is the EASA recognised certificate will be valid for 5 years from date of issue and will enable the holder to fly in any member (as well as the UK) state legally.

It should be borne in mind that there are currently no C0-C4 certified aircraft and so everyone's UAV they are flying at present will become legacy aircraft which cannot be certified retrospectively. (Lots of cheap secondhand DJI aircraft coming on the market soon!).

If anyone want to know more please shout although CAP1789 should answer the majority of questions.

Well obviously we are a little further down the line now and everyone will/should be aware that the PfCO is effectively dead with effect from July 1st this year.
The CAA will no longer differentiate between commercial and recreational flying so anyone is free to go out and operate commercially with the caveat that they must hold insurance.

Obviously there are other things to consider like which category you are going to be flying in and which sub category together with class of aircraft etc.

The A2 CofC will allow for higher MTOM aircraft to be flown in closer proximity and a GVC will enable flights down to 5m from uninvolved people (subject to the 1:1 rule).

Thankfully - it is quite straightforward, and dare I say sensible. The added 'bonus' is the EASA recognised certificate will be valid for 5 years from date of issue and will enable the holder to fly in any member (as well as the UK) state legally.

It should be borne in mind that there are currently no C0-C4 certified aircraft and so everyone's UAV they are flying at present will become legacy aircraft which cannot be certified retrospectively. (Lots of cheap secondhand DJI aircraft coming on the market soon!).

If anyone want to know more please shout although CAP1789 should answer the majority of questions.
Thank you for that ?
My pfco expires January 2021 so I will watch developments in the meantime.
It would be great to be able to reduce the clearance from people, and as I fly m2ps with a tripod mode I'm hoping there's some relaxation available.

Yes - you can continue to fly under your current PfCO until expiry next year when the new regulations will be in effect (albeit within the 'transitional period')
You will not be able to fly your current aircraft down to close proximity unless you take the A2 CofC course since it will be a legacy aircraft and even then you will require the GVC 'bolt on' to allow a relaxation of the A2 section.
Even then, after the transition period (July 2021) ALL legacy UAS will only be allowed to fly in A3 category which will limit standoff to 150m.

FYI - tripod mode will NOT satisfy the low speed requirement under the EASA regs as it will not be a certified aircraft and the low speed mode has to be a hardware switch function.

FYI - tripod mode will NOT satisfy the low speed requirement under the EASA regs as it will not be a certified aircraft and the low speed mode has to be a hardware switch function.

Whilst not disagreeing with you as you’re obviously a lot more qualified to know these things than I - the M2P controller does have a physical switch to go between Sport/GPS/Tripod mode.

In my 5 years of flying things have changed so much & this just seems to be the latest in a line of confusing legislation from the CAA. We always try to stay current with the changes & implement procedural updates when needed - but as they struggled to bring in the registration system on time, this new outlook just seems pointless to me & I know of several people in the same position as me who fly as a relatively small part of their business, who are not going to renew their license (in whatever form) & I can foresee it leading to more people flying with no insurance/permission - not less.

Just my 2p

Martin.

Reactions: Hiwayman
So, any PfCO holders planning on an early C of C submission....and if so what are your reasons ?
I am feeling that there is more information to come which will enable a knowledge based decision on when to proceed.

Just received this newsletter from Heliguy which clarifies things further (for me anyway!).

Perhaps not worth abandoning the PfCO just yet.
But you won't be able to renew your PfCO - it simply won't exist after July 1st.
Existing PfCO's will be valid if they expire after July 1st but then that's it.

I think Heliguy (who are good guys) are doing a little bit of marketing self preservation here because they will see a reduction of people coming forward to do PfCO between now and July 1st as the new legislation will allow individuals to operate commercially without any certification.

Basically - If you want to fly commercially AND fly over and close to uninvolved people (down to 5m) you only have to wait until a C0 or C1 aircraft is available (like the Mavic Air 2), and you can go ahead and operate.

Larger MTOM aircraft will require a level of operator competency but the commercial/recreational barrier is removed no matter what.

This is why taking a new PfCO between now and 1st July is a waste of time and money.

And this comes as a long time PFAW/PfCO holder!

If you already have been trained/assessed by a NQE do you need automatically get the GVC status?

I understood the new drone physical requirements only to apply to the Open catogry so if you are operating in the Specific or Certified catagory you can use any suitable drone - is that correct?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM