Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Night Operators

Oh, also, hold on to (make a copy of) what you submit, because that is what they will hold you to and refer to if you are granted the waiver.
Where did you get that information from? In retrospect, I realize it's a good idea to keep a copy of what you submit anyway... but I would assume the specifics they lay out for you in the waiver itself would be what they hold you too.

great information
put the Lumes in prop wash for cooling?

I need to see if there are specific classes on night flying
Prop wash doesn't seem to be enough. Now if you're flying in freezing temperatures, it might be... but I was trying them out in 60-80F weather and the prop wash just wasn't enough.

Good to know, off to research the flytron LEDs
Looking forward to getting this rig working. I want to set the Led spot and camera gimbal on an easy swap connector.

Where did you get that information from? In retrospect, I realize it's a good idea to keep a copy of what you submit anyway... but I would assume the specifics they lay out for you in the waiver itself would be what they hold you too.

In my waiver approval, they referred back to my application as a whole for what I'd be held to. Basically, I said I'd do x, y, and z so now they will hold me to that.

They are, but you have to abide by the rest of Part 107 and request waivers/authorizations (if needed) just like you would for daytime flights.

Reactions: Maddog
this is definitely one I need to go for. going to start drafting one up and may post it back here for scrutiny

thanks for all the great responses
Would love to see what you come up with- would be great education for all of us!

In my waiver approval, they referred back to my application as a whole for what I'd be held to. Basically, I said I'd do x, y, and z so now they will hold me to that.
Interesting. I just carefully read through my waiver, looking for verbiage like that, and it doesn't have that in mine.

One thing I just realized though--all this time I thought I was limited to 200 feet AGL at night--but reading the provision I misread before; I realize that limitation is 200 feet above STRUCTURES, not the ground.

"In addition to the requirements of § 107.51(b), the sUA must not fly higher than 200 feet above any structure’s immediate uppermost limit."

I received my 107.29 waiver in just 18 days! Fastest thing the FAA has ever done for me.

I use 3 Cree/firehouse lights for my beacons. And I recommend looking into the "Arc". As it comes with 3 LED's on each light. They are brighter and can be seen from at least 3nm. While still maintaining a next to nothing weight.

One of the things I keep reading about is an understanding of visual illusions that can be caused by darkness. I forget the exact term. But apparently if you put that you have accounted for or at least know about these challenges it helps your application.
I did find this

NIGHT FLYING CLINIC

Reactions: Delta Blue
Do we know what is actually needed for anti-collision? I was assuming a red and green on side and strobe on top center of phantom. This would be in line with manned aircraft.

Also are people getting one time waivers or perm. waivers?

I am building out a high powered LED lighting set up, And eventually want to use it for light painting video and photos.
That means submitting for night operations.
If you have successfully applied for one, could you share your opinion on why it was successful
if you have applied and it failed what was
The easier way to get any type of waiver, is to go to the FAA’s waivers granted website. Search for the FAR 107.** that you want the waiver for, and click through other people’s waivers. You can see the exact wording, requirements and guidelines they put in theirs, and write yours from it.

Do we know what is actually needed for anti-collision? I was assuming a red and green on side and strobe on top center of phantom. This would be in line with manned aircraft.

Also are people getting one time waivers or perm. waivers?

My waiver is for 4 years.

The FAA states color doesn't matter, the lights just need to be able to be seen from minimum 3 NM from all directions. One is bright enough, but you'll need at least 3 if you want to be seen from multiple directions.

Remember it's not for us to be able to see our aircraft.. It's for other manned pilots to be able to see it.

And depending where you put your lights will depend if the flash from the beacon can be seen from your own camera.

Assuming that a strobe on top center of the phantom would be sufficient. I don think the camera would pick it up unless it reflects off props.

Assuming that a strobe on top center of the phantom would be sufficient. I don think the camera would pick it up unless it reflects off props.

It certainly wouldn't pick up light from the top.

I avoided the top center though because I didn't want to put any metal around the GPS.

And the style of light I chose to go with is not omni directional. So I needed more than just one to satisfy the FAA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku