Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Old footage before regulations or guidlines?

ChoiceGraphX

Reaction score
Website
www.dwsussman.com
Quick question about legal use of footage taken before regulations were made or even suggestions. Flying during the days of Phantom 2 I shoot footage that was over crowds, this was way before even the guidelines for flying was a suggestion, can the footage be used or should it be banded? Footage displays metadata for March 2015

Last edited:
I see no reason to shelve the footage. It's like the high-capacity magazines for handguns. They were legal. Then they were banned for a while, but if you already had them, you could keep them. And if they had been manufactured before the law went into effect, they could still sell them.

Same thing here. You have something that was manufactured before the law went into effect.

Of course, if you post it on YouTube, and put a big disclaimer that it was filmed prior to laws about flying over crowds, you'll still get 500 people yelling at you about it. :D

I see no reason to shelve the footage. It's like the high-capacity magazines for handguns. They were legal. Then they were banned for a while, but if you already had them, you could keep them. And if they had been manufactured before the law went into effect, they could still sell them.

Same thing here. You have something that was manufactured before the law went into effect.

Of course, if you post it on YouTube, and put a big disclaimer that it was filmed prior to laws about flying over crowds, you'll still get 500 people yelling at you about it. :D
Indeed but film will not be used for public

I would think twice about footage from 2015. Section 333 was in full strength (that's a debate for another time or not at all really LOL).

I would consider how it might make your company "look" and what type of image of safety it would shine on your company.

If it wasn't footage that I couldn't live without I wouldn't use it but that's only my own 2 cents.

Reactions: ChoiceGraphX
Quick question about legal use of footage taken before regulations were made or even suggestions. Flying during the days of Phantom 2 I shoot footage that was over crowds, this was way before even the guidelines for flying was a suggestion, can the footage be used or should it be banded? Footage displays metadata for March 2015
You do not say where in the world the footage was taken/where you operate so possible to answer without the relevent aviation laws taken into account.

I would think twice about footage from 2015. Section 333 was in full strength (that's a debate for another time or not at all really LOL).

I would consider how it might make your company "look" and what type of image of safety it would shine on your company.

If it wasn't footage that I couldn't live without I wouldn't use it but that's only my own 2 cents.
Good advise thank you.

That date is when it was edited into an old video in 2015 that is archived. I do not remember when the footage was actually shot but do remember doing the paperwork for that 333 exemption. The flight in question was well before that but I have no record of.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StewR