Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Outing uncertified commercial operators

I agree with your last two points Bob. I know our local LE is very new at enforcement, and I would welcome a chance to show Im licensed (when I have it).
I really doubt it would get so frequent as to interrupting work alot as Armando mentioned. Im sure LE would be understanding as long as you arent trying to run or something.

Reactions: BigAl07 and AH-1G
I would report someone who was putting others in danger but would not do anything to anyone who does not have a license.

Imagine if everyone starts reporting others and it starts on only suspicions. Pretty soon we are all getting harassed and causing legit flyers and possibly law enforcement to waste time checking for certificates. All I need is someone interrupting me during a critical time of light while working to show my license.

We've "Self Policed" in this industry now for decades and it's worked great. Even the FAA has given guidance and a process to "Report" these actions.

It's OUR industry and if we don't police it who is going to? Same goes for contractors, plumbers, electricians, and even Real Estate Agents. Try working in one of those fields w/o the proper license and see how quickly you show up on the Official Radar in each industry. Why should this be any difference?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my son is a police officer and he stated, law enforcement officers do not have the time to deal with petty issues as these. There are more significant issue to deal with.
While I'm sure that's the case in many areas that's not the case in my area. We might be "different" in the fact our LEA are very much into sUAS operations and are up to the task when/if needed. I've actually fielded a couple of phone calls about the topic in support of LE.

We've "Self Policed" in this industry now for decades and it's worked great. Even the FAA has given guidance and a process to "Report" these actions.

It's OUR industry and if we don't police it who is going to? Same goes for contractors, plumbers, electricians, and even Real Estate Agents. Try working in one of those fields w/o the proper license and see how quickly you show up on the Official Radar in each industry. Why should this be any difference?
Very true Al! In those industries it spreads FAST who the illegitimate/illegal and even just bad ones are. Im sure UAS pilots will end up the same soon.

Reactions: BigAl07
I wonder if there is another way to solve this issue. Instead of trying to “push” the law make it a “pull”. Require all drone footage be tagged with the drone registration and pilot license number. If it’s not tagged it can’t be used. There are numerous other data tags, why not?
Just a thought..

I wonder if there is another way to solve this issue. Instead of trying to “push” the law make it a “pull”. Require all drone footage be tagged with the drone registration and pilot license number. If it’s not tagged it can’t be used. There are numerous other data tags, why not?
Just a thought..
One of the national companies I do sUAS work for require you to submit your Part 107, Proof of Insurance, and Photographers Release/Agreement to every set of images/video we submit for payment. No credentials no payment.

But initiating this on a national level will not work unless the primary organization (National Assoc of Realtors) for instance initiates it. At one point they did do some talk about requiring it but I'm pretty sure they realized it would potentially "inconvenience" a good number of their members (the ones paying the NAR's salary) and the notion just sort of vanished into thin air.

Reactions: Outta Control
I would report someone who was putting others in danger but would not do anything to anyone who does not have a license.

Imagine if everyone starts reporting others and it starts on only suspicions. Pretty soon we are all getting harassed and causing legit flyers and possibly law enforcement to waste time checking for certificates. All I need is someone interrupting me during a critical time of light while working to show my license.
Police officers have much better things to do than "harassing" every kid with a drone, trust me.

This is a great topic and doing some research late last year, I determined that the FAA will not / cannot take action unless they have undeniable proof of who the actual pilot operating the drone is... See the link below in regards to famous YouTube sensation Casey Neistat in regards to all of his extremely reckless drone operations...

EXCLUSIVE: Details of Casey Neistat's FAA investigations | Andy's Travel Blog

Check out this interesting snippet....

FAA Report said:
7. Evidence. In all cases, the FAA must have acceptable evidence in support of all alleged facts in order to take legal enforcement action. Inspectors are reminded that:

• Electronic media posted on the Internet is only one form of evidence which may be used to support an enforcement action and it must be authenticated;

• Electronic media posted on the Internet is ordinarily not sufficient evidence alone to determine that an operation is not in compliance with 14 CFR; however, electronic media may serve as evidence of possible violations and may be retained for future enforcement action; and

• Inspectors have no authority to direct or suggest that electronic media posted on the Internet must be removed.

Note: Electronic media posted on a video Web site does not automatically constitute a commercial operation or commercial purpose, or other non-hobby or non-recreational use

I just joined and am glad to see others thinking about this. This has been a big concern for me thinking of becoming certified. If I make money flying a drone I want to do it legit, so naturally every time I see a local television commercial or real estate ad I'm led to wonder if they got a certified pilot for that, and my guess is in most cases probably not.

So yeah I'm kind of annoyed I personally am looking into getting Part 107 certified, because I want to do it honest, but thinking every kid that got a drone for Christmas is out there is my competition and has equal potential to get jobs as I do, if not more so. I don't want to be regulated to death, but I'd still like to see businesses be held accountable for hiring unlicensed pilots, something to give them incentive to at least check for a license before getting someone to fly for them.

The only time I reported an individual to the FAA (gave them the website showing clear violations to 107; they replied they wanted name, location, time, a/c registration..WTF? I thanked them and told then this inaction is why 107 violations are growing.

I am a retired cop, this was analogous to me arriving at the crime scene and asking for the suspect's ID and whereabouts before I began investigation. The FAA is a pilots' organization and always has been, they were dragged into the UAV business kicking and screaming all the way, don't really want to be bothered; until some dipwad drops an M600 on someone's head and kills him/her and the media goes wild....then they'll act.

Ok, so you see a guy flying a drone that looks like a commercial application. How do you know if he is licensed or not? I’m not about to go up and ask to see his 107.

I was a crop duster for many years, and yes I lived to tell about it. I was also on a first name bases with the FAA. I had so many people claiming I was flying too low, go figure, and making ridiculous complaints. Reality is, the FAA began ignoring the complaints. I was never cited for anything, I did get a few butt chewing’s that I kind of deserved.

My point is if you report a suspected unlicensed drone operator to the FAA it will most likely end up in file 13 unless there was an accident and property or a person was injured.

The unlicensed person is sticking his neck out and setting himself up for a big fine if something goes wrong. The other issue is he won’t be insured, so if he damages or injures someone it is totally on him.

As for me, I’m not a cop, I don’t worry about what others do unless it directly affects me.

Reactions: ndroll
"How do you know if he is licensed or not? " If you don't know, you don't know.

Are you in the UAV business? If so, illegal operators do affect you, eventually. I am not as concerned about non-107 making money. I am more concerned about them doing stupid things.

My point is if you report a suspected unlicensed drone operator to the FAA it will most likely end up in file 13 unless there was an accident and property or a person was injured.

Unless something has recently changed with the FAA (and that's always possible) they do investigate every viable complaint. How do I know? I was "turned in" last year most likely by a local competitor who was starting up a new sUAS business and he thought he would try and get a leg up on me. This guy turned in some of my online footage and stated I was not licensed to do "Commercial Aerial Work".

The allegations were so outlandish that at first I thought the call was a "practical joke" by someone in my pool of friends. After a couple of minutes I realized the person on the phone was from the FSDO and he was looking for some very specific answers. I answered everything and gave him my Section 333 document #, my FAA pilot's license # and anything else he asked for. I heard him clicking and typing as we talked and he said, "Mr. Newland, I see you are current and have all of your documents in order. I'm sorry to have taken up your time today but if we get a complaint about this type of activity we do investigate and take action accordingly."

We spoke for a moment more, he wished me a good day, and we hung up. Just to be safe I made a phone call to an old friend at the FAA and he said, "That sounds pretty text book to me. You've got someone in town trying to slow you down LOL."

I still think that if you are pretty sure they don't have the credentials OR you see them doing something that jeopardizes NAS safety make the call. It's OUR Industry we are trying to protect.

As always to each their own and YMMV.

Allen

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
It has been many years since I had any encounters with the FAA folks. I fly twice a week at UC Merced construction site. First thing contractor checked was my license and insurance. As for the realtors I have worked for, I was never asked about my license and I have informed them that it is important to them to make sure they hire licensed pilots, and the potential repercussions if they don't and something goes wrong. I informed our local board of realtors of the licensing requirements and the risks involved in not hiring licensed and insured pilots.

My point was I'm not going to worry about if a person is licensed or not. Now if I seen someone doing something unsafe and jeopardizing the safety of others, that is a different story and yes I would make a complaint.

This industry is relatively new, and the FAA is working at refining the laws and at some point the bad apples will be weeded out. As those who hire drone pilots become more aware of the laws I believe the industry will police itself in that a companies won't take the chance of hiring a non licensed and non insured person.

Unless something has recently changed with the FAA (and that's always possible) they do investigate every viable complaint. How do I know?
Allen

I guess I sounded like the FAA doesn't investigate complaints, and you are right they do, but once they realize you are flying legally and get known by your local FAA folks they have better things to do that continue to bother you. As you stated they just called you and verified your license. If it was something serious they wouldn't have just called, you would have received a visit.

I cut across part of the city of Modesto years ago at 500 feet, I was bingo on fuel and in a hurry. I got a large part of my butt chewed away and could have been cited, but was shown mercy, anyway didn't do that again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter