Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Owning a drone does not make you a surveyor or photogrammetrist.

Lol, you got me there. I was referring to commercial pilots. When I started flying in the 70s, we actually flew the plane, didn't have GPS only VORS for navigation. Most of the planes I flew that did have three axis autopilots failed to hold altitude well. A lot of my flying was crop dusting where situational awareness keeps you alive. Today the airline guys, take off, hit the flight computer and go along for the ride, that is just too boring for someone that likes to be active. However, at 70 I don't need to worry about commercial aviation, I'm too old.

Reactions: Outta Control
Today the airline guys, take off, hit the flight computer and go along for the ride, that is just too boring for someone that likes to be active. However, at 70 I don't need to worry about commercial aviation, I'm too old.

The next generation of commercial airliners will only have a single pilot and a dog. The pilot is there to monitor the instruments and the dog is there to bite him if he tries to touch anything.

Lol, you got me there. I was referring to commercial pilots. When I started flying in the 70s, we actually flew the plane, didn't have GPS only VORS for navigation. Most of the planes I flew that did have three axis autopilots failed to hold altitude well. A lot of my flying was crop dusting where situational awareness keeps you alive. Today the airline guys, take off, hit the flight computer and go along for the ride, that is just too boring for someone that likes to be active. However, at 70 I don't need to worry about commercial aviation, I'm too old.

I feel you...my first solo was in 1969, flew with a sectional on my knee board and my index finger keeping my spot. A lot of IFR time (I follow roads):D and dunking down low to read the town's name on roofs of buildings when lost.
GPS is for sissies.;)

Reactions: AH-1G and R.Perry
Clients are not looking for "drone service providers", they are looking for electrical engineers, land surveyors, building inspectors, etc. Clients do not care whether a drone is used or not as long as they are getting the data and information they need.

Agree?

Clients are not looking for "drone service providers", they are looking for electrical engineers, land surveyors, building inspectors, etc. Clients do not care whether a drone is used or not as long as they are getting the data and information they need.

Agree?
"Clients are not looking for "drone service providers" Gee, I'll have to tell all my clients to go away... ;)

Agree?

You need to understand the needs of your customer and be able to deliver a product they can use that is accurate. The aircraft is just a tool. It does not work by magic. You need to understand your subject matter and be able to leverage the aircraft to do your bidding to arrive at the end product.

Agree?

I disagree with the first part of your statement but whole heartedly agree (in most instances) with the 2nd part.

My clients have a NEED and the finished product "should" fill that need completely. Most don't ask me what drone I use etc they just tell me what they need/want and it's up to my company to figure the rest out.

Agree?

Well if clients weren't looking for drone pilots, I wouldn't be working part time. The superintendent on my job site tells me that my panos, mapping, and videos save him and his other supers, and engineers a great deal of time by not needing to go out on the job site for certain inspections.

The way they get the "data" is with our photos and mappings.

Background is over 35years in engineering, survey, construction. Have flown for enjoyment and other; photogrammetry missions in Cessna 206 and King Air 90.

As far as drone operators, I suggest you contact a licensed surveyor and try to get with him.

Briefly;
Photos are taken with a drone and are not orthorectified to a flat plane grid for design/mapping work. If you add GCP’s, as does a surveyor for photogrammetry flights, you ‘accurize’ the data by giving the mapper known xyz values to scale/rotate around. I believe Drone Deploy does this if you provide GCP’s. If the GCP’s are collected via RTK then it is possible to reach cm accuracy. Good data IN; Good data OUT.

Once your work goes thru this process, it is ‘flat’. When the surveyor goes back to stake out he has to apply known scale factors to convert from planar coordinates to ‘real world’ coordinates.

Best to let a licensed surveyor handle his profession and you handle yours.

Perfect timing for this conversation, I'm not a surveyor, and don't want to be. The superintendent at my job site that now employs several surveyors, and confirmed by the engineer that runs the team of surveyors is this. "The drone will not eliminate surveyors, it will eliminate the need for as many as we have on a job site like this." The total campus will end up being 1000 acres and the new drones with RTK have been ordered. The reality is technology is replacing jobs everywhere.
Airlines once had a navigator, flight engineer, and two pilots, now most just have two pilots. Why, we don't need navigators, and don't need flight engineers in most flights, reality is we only need one pilot. Robotics has eliminated thousands of jobs in the US. Machinist today are being replaced by CAD machines, and yes drones are going to help replace some surveyors, like it or not. I love technology, but I also see what is doing to our work force, and it isn't good.
So my advice is, go to work for the government where there is no need for productivity standards, you get more vacation time than most businesses, you can stop complaining about wasting tax payer money because you will be, and you get a very nice retirement all at the expense of guess who, you the American tax payer.

Reactions: PatR and BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV