Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Pano Sphere - HDRPano, Litchi, Go4App, etc

dougcjohn

Reaction score
This is more on the direction of an art project than functional ops.... but played with various Pano Tools and recently experimenting with Sphere and the various angles that can change the perspective and provide a different, almost abstract view if desired.

A specific product well recognized for very precise pano work, is a purchased iOS product: HDRPano or also known as XMLPano.
Very little English guides, no English manual... and my few attempts have produced poor results to stitch.
Technische 360° Fotografie

Has anyone used and obtained good results with HDRPano, care to expand on a few of the features & options?

The Go4App includes a Sphere Pano but not as smooth in common points or providing unnoticeable stitches.

The Litchi App recently expanded their Pano, making it pretty complete... providing Linear or Spherical, Linear being more complete.
Now able to have multiple Nadirs Zeniths, modify number of Rows & Columns and able to place a timer before / after to help stabilize the movement.

The HDRPano expands on the Litchi features... but operation isn't as clean, even initial alignment & aiming works odd to me. I may be making it too difficult, but results compared to Litchi's new Pano aren't measuring up.

Here's a recent Capital & Downtown sphere... the detail able to obtain with the stop & stabilize is great! Captured 40 mb DNG and 6 mb JPG, 32 to 48 shot per sphere.
In the full size image, can zoom down to the "Iowa brick" work image on sidewalk and read the counties.

These are actually fun to create... and I'm finding several have an interest to acquire unique landmark images and inquired for their home residence.
Never tried the Glass Print yet... so I've ordered this image in a 2.3 x 3 ft glass print from Fracture.
Fracture Web Site: How It Works

Capital PanoSM.jpgCapital PanoSM.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer the spherical panoramas, which are fully interactive, allowing the user to scroll around in a virtual drone control in the air, with full zoom capability. I use PanoramaStudio Pro 2.0 and PTGui. The M2 and the P4P both do a great job of fully automating the shooting within one minute in GO 4, which includes a low resolution stitch saved to the card. Saving the original images, and recreating the stitch in the other ptograms gives a very high resolution stitch with full control over the output, with the objective being an interactive web output, complete with a google map location and hyperlinks between panoramas within the panoramas.

Yep, rotational sphere is capable within pretty much any pano products since it's after the shots collected... within a post-pano production. I also use PTIGui, nice package, lot of options.

For a pic post on a thread, the flattened image works best and offers additional artistic options, I enjoy the creativity to get the rotation and pitch for the flat image.

Interestingly, recently discovered the flat sphere has a good interest from those seeking poster style images... such as on glass. The internal rotational sphere are great for web sites showing a park or Realty development. Then at the zenith, even place their branding.

The HDRPano will also provide rotational spheres too and has several other nice features... my understanding anyway, my success using it hasn't been optimal yet.

Last edited:
Yep, rotational sphere is capable within pretty much any pano products since it's after the are shots collected... since that's a post-pano production. I also use PTIGui, nice package, lot of options.

For a pic post on a thread, the flattened image works best and offers additional artistic options, I enjoy the creativity to get the rotation and pitch for the flat image.

Interestingly, recently discovered the flat sphere has a good interest from those seeking poster style images... such as on glass. The internal rotational sphere are great for web sites showing a park or Realty development. Then at the zenith, even place their branding.

The HDRPano will also provide rotational spheres too and has several other nice features... my understanding anyway, my success using it hasn't been optimal yet.

I also enjoy creating both the spherical and the flat sphere imaging. I have a client that I have been doing weekly 360 panos for the last 3 years at the same location. I give them the option to view flat or spherical in a little window on the lower left side of the pano "Other Views". They use these imaging to monitor water quality trends.

I do these now with a Mavic 2 Pro. Here is an example.

@SanCap very nice! Interesting that Client actually uses the sphere productively.
I've seen RV Campsites, Realty development or various sites to help visualize the area but nothing to actually examine or monitor a resource.

Curious as to what software you're post processing?
Are you using the DJI Pano or the Litchi Pano with the M2P.
The file produced 41 mb shots, I didn't realize the M2P produced that high of meg images.

The flat sphere above was with M2P @ f8, Litchi 38-40 RAW Photos, Linear Sphere, post pano work in PTIGui.
Rotated the sphere to get Capital above horizon and center walkway.
In full resolution, very impressive... can zoom down to bricks & read counties in the blue Iowa molding in center walkway lower section and the Capital's dome & architectural detail.
The M2P has a pretty impressive lens for OEM.

The Sphere image is very cool if zoomed in a bit and then rotate around to examine.

@SanCap very nice! Interesting that Client actually uses the sphere productively.
I've seen RV Campsites, Realty development or various sites to help visualize the area but nothing to actually examine or monitor a resource.

Curious as to what software you're post processing?
Are you using the DJI Pano or the Litchi Pano with the M2P.
The file produced 41 mb shots, I didn't realize the M2P produced that high of meg images.

The flat sphere above was with M2P @ f8, Litchi 38-40 RAW Photos, Linear Sphere, post pano work in PTIGui.
Rotated the sphere to get Capital above horizon and center walkway.
In full resolution, very impressive... can zoom down to bricks & read counties in the blue Iowa molding in center walkway lower section and the Capital's dome & architectural detail.
The M2P has a pretty impressive lens for OEM.

The Sphere image is very cool if zoomed in a bit and then rotate around to examine.

I am using Autopano Pro and PanoTour pro, unfortunately they are no longer available. The company Kolor owned them and sold out to GoPro who took them off the market. They still allow downloads for existing clients with keys but no longer sell it.

I allow the M2P to do the automated 360 sphere then I take the 26 .jpg images and open them in Autopano Pro. The sky isn't important to my client so I do not spend a lot of time on it which I somewhat correct in PS. Then it goes into Panotour Pro where I can customize the look, add text and default settings. I live about 2.5 miles from where I do the pano so I can get it to the client in about an hour. I guess after 175 of them I finally got it down! The Mavic makes it simple.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I am using Autopano Pro and PanoTour pro, unfortunately they are no longer available. The company Kolor owned them and sold out to GoPro who took them off the market. They still allow downloads for existing clients with keys but no longer sell it.

I allow the M2P to do the automated 360 sphere then I take the 26 .jpg images and open them in Autopano Pro. The sky isn't important to my client so I do not spend a lot of time on it which I somewhat correct in PS. Then it goes into Panotour Pro where I can customize the look, add text and default settings. I live about 2.5 miles from where I do the pano so I can get it to the client in about an hour. I guess after 175 of them I finally got it down! The Mavic makes it simple.
I remember that... they had a Autopano Giga or something similar too.
Did GoPro replace it with a nice toolset or pushed it off to 3rd party?

Reactions: SanCap
On the line of Pano... has anyone played with the 360 Cameras mounted under belly of Drone?
Garmin Virb or Rolo 360

They too include software that might be interesting to use.

I also enjoy creating both the spherical and the flat sphere imaging. I have a client that I have been doing weekly 360 panos for the last 3 years at the same location. I give them the option to view flat or spherical in a little window on the lower left side of the pano "Other Views". They use these imaging to monitor water quality trends.

I do these now with a Mavic 2 Pro. Here is an example.

Your example is an excellent showcase of the web capabilities, where it starts as a Tiny Planet view and then can be expanded into full zoom in 360°. Some panos also look really good as a flat print, especially when shot along the shore. The M2P excels at creating them really fast, and in great detail.

Question for you: It appears to me that the first Pano Sphere M2P image sets the exposure for the rest of the images. Have you figured out the best direction and gimbal elevation from which to start the pano, where there is a variation in exposure based upon direction? I tend to just start with the primary subject, and let the pieces fall where they may, and let PanoramaStudio Pro 2.0 optimally adjust the exposures.

Last edited:
On the line of Pano... has anyone played with the 360 Cameras mounted under belly of Drone?
Garmin Virb or Rolo 360

They too include software that might be interesting to use.

The
Your example is an excellent showcase of the web capabilities, where it starts as a Tiny Planet view and then can be expanded into full zoom in 360°. Some panos also look really good as a flat print, especially when shot along the shore. The M2P excels at creating them really fast, and in great detail.

Question for you: It appears to me that the first Pano Sphere M2P image sets the exposure for the rest of the images. Have you figured out the best direction and gimbal elevation from which to start the pano, where there is a variation in exposure based upon direction? I tend to just start with the primary subject, and let the pieces fall where they may, and let PanoramaStudio Pro 2.0 optimally adjust the exposures.

Thanks Gadget Guy.

I set the MP2 to manual exposure, 100 ISO, f5.6 and use shutter speed to adjust for brightness. I then get to my location and altitude and do a 360 rotation. I look for the brightest part of the sky and adjust the exposure so that area, usually closest to the sun and clouds is not blown out. I am usually at 1/800-1/1250. Once that is done I don't care where it starts the pano with regards to angle or direction, the MP2 always gets the required shots. I can adjust starting location in the app that I use to customize the pano (AutoPano Pro).

Once I have it stitched I open it in PS and correct the sky, then I adjust the lighting for highlights and shadows if needed.

The

Thanks Gadget Guy.

I set the MP2 to manual exposure, 100 ISO, f5.6 and use shutter speed to adjust for brightness. I then get to my location and altitude and do a 360 rotation. I look for the brightest part of the sky and adjust the exposure so that area, usually closest to the sun and clouds is not blown out. I am usually at 1/800-1/1250. Once that is done I don't care where it starts the pano with regards to angle or direction, the MP2 always gets the required shots. I can adjust starting location in the app that I use to customize the pano (AutoPano Pro).

Once I have it stitched I open it in PS and correct the sky, then I adjust the lighting for highlights and shadows if needed.
Cool! Thanks for sharing your manual exposure strategy. I'll try something similar next time, and compare it to the completely automated result. Are you shooting jpegs or DNG's? Unfortunately, GO 4 doesn't offer the option to shoot both as Originals when shooting panos, unless you also shoot the pano itself completely manually, too. My best results have come from shooting on heavily overcast, very clear days, where the sky turns into a giant soft box with no hotspots. Shooting after the sun has set also works well.

Cool! Thanks for sharing your manual exposure strategy. I'll try something similar next time, and compare it to the completely automated result. Are you shooting jpegs or DNG's? Unfortunately, GO 4 doesn't offer the option to shoot both as Originals when shooting panos, unless you also shoot the pano itself completely manually, too. My best results have come from shooting on heavily overcast, very clear days, where the sky turns into a giant soft box with no hotspots. Shooting after the sun has set also works well.

This job only requires jpg files. Before the MP2 I always captured the pano manually with the Inspire 2 and a 12mm lens. Believe it or not I can not tell a difference in the quality, sometimes I think the MP2 looks better. Once I get my M600 and Sony A7Rlll image quality will sky rocket!!

Do you have an example of what you have created with PanoramaStudio 2 Pro? I downloaded the trial of PanoramaStudio 3 Pro and would like to see what you can do with the earlier version. For $80 it could be worth it if I can customize with it should support for the PanoTour Pro software go away.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Short write up link... looks like AutoPan was very popular, to bad it closed.
Several snip-it or reviews indicate PTGui as best choice.
What attraction or feature draws attention to PanormaStudio 3 Pro?

Reactions: lou101
This job only requires jpg files. Before the MP2 I always captured the pano manually with the Inspire 2 and a 12mm lens. Believe it or not I can not tell a difference in the quality, sometimes I think the MP2 looks better. Once I get my M600 and Sony A7Rlll image quality will sky rocket!!

Do you have an example of what you have created with PanoramaStudio 2 Pro? I downloaded the trial of PanoramaStudio 3 Pro and would like to see what you can do with the earlier version. For $80 it could be worth it if I can customize with it should support for the PanoTour Pro software go away.
I use the jpg files as well, because it is too much of a hassle to manually enter the GPS data into the DNG files for map display of location and field of view. Turns out I am actually using PanoramaStudio 3 Pro, which is only $80, which is the latest and greatest!
PM me if you have any questions about capabilities not covered by Tobias on his website about the most current version. He is also very responsive to email inquiries and free support questions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM