Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 Test - Suggestions Please

Chris Scharf

Reaction score
I'm taking the Part 107 test on Tuesday and am asking for any suggestions on study guides. I'm on my second read through of the FAA Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide. I plan on one more read through with some copious note taking. The sheer amount of acronyms is enough to require review notes.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any other study materials I could run through before taking the test? Thanks in advance.

I'm taking the Part 107 test on Tuesday and am asking for any suggestions on study guides. I'm on my second read through of the FAA Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide. I plan on one more read through with some copious note taking. The sheer amount of acronyms is enough to require review notes.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any other study materials I could run through before taking the test? Thanks in advance.
TISAOTPAWTSF. o_O

Go to, "Search Forms" type "Study for 107", you'll get info there also

TISAOTPAWTSF - That is something another operator tried passing after what the sam f....?!?

These acronyms are killing me! Thaks for the reply, though.

Here's a free practice exam so that you can see exactly what types of questions are on the exam. Complete explanations are provided and no sign-up required. They are worth the money many times over and they have a Pass Guarantee or they pay your fee.

FAA Part 107 Ground School

Tony Northrup has an excellent YouTube tutorial along with a helpful study guide, both free. Also, the 3DR website has a free 130 question sample test that's representitive of the actual test.

Reactions: Z06Aggie
It is good to be able to pass the test but you should think about taking a course. It is one thing to be able to pass by memorizing questions or better yet actually knowing and understanding the material. The other benefit is the courses offered seem to be for life so small fee considering what you gain and who knows what the future will hold for renewals and future changes to our industry.

Reactions: BigAl07

This sounds a bit discouraging. You are taking your test Tuesday and looking for study material now ! I don't mean to sound discouraging but you really have to know what you are doing when it comes to this test. I noticed one or two questions that was mentioned in the FAA Study Guide. There is a lot of material that you have to understand. You are going to be given scenarios that you will have to fully understand that will dive into several classes of subject matter. I took a course along with my own research for 6 months. I passed with a 90 and I just signed up with Gold Seal to further my education for my renewal next year. Y strongly suggest that you postpone your test, that is allowable and you will not forfeit your $150.oo. Just be sure token your registration number. Take a course and absorb as much as you can. You will know when you are saturated and then take your test. If you have a good handle on the material the answers will come right to you as soon as you start the test and you will totally relax and be quite comfortable through the rest of the test.

This sounds a bit discouraging. You are taking your test Tuesday and looking for study material now ! I don't mean to sound discouraging but you really have to know what you are doing when it comes to this test. I noticed one or two questions that was mentioned in the FAA Study Guide. There is a lot of material that you have to understand. You are going to be given scenarios that you will have to fully understand that will dive into several classes of subject matter. I took a course along with my own research for 6 months. I passed with a 90 and I just signed up with Gold Seal to further my education for my renewal next year. Y strongly suggest that you postpone your test, that is allowable and you will not forfeit your $150.oo. Just be sure token your registration number. Take a course and absorb as much as you can. You will know when you are saturated and then take your test. If you have a good handle on the material the answers will come right to you as soon as you start the test and you will totally relax and be quite comfortable through the rest of the test.
I would agree with Rodger. I started in with RemotePilot101 about 2 months ago, going through the course twice and also looking at other FAA publications. I took my test this morning and passed with a 90 but the questions that I missed I had never seen the material before or the FAA is great at wording questions that you really have to put 2 and 2 together. I did kinda rush through it but I felt confident on the rest and finished in 27 minutes.

I would agree with Rodger. I started in with RemotePilot101 about 2 months ago, going through the course twice and also looking at other FAA publications. I took my test this morning and passed with a 90 but the questions that I missed I had never seen the material before or the FAA is great at wording questions that you really have to put 2 and 2 together. I did kinda rush through it but I felt confident on the rest and finished in 27 minutes.

I had a 90 as wetland finished in an hour. I got a little sloppy at the end. I had built a good foundation and when I started the test the answer came as I read the questions. I did pay close attention to the wording. You have to understand the material so you can sort thing out. Good going on your license.

I agree with Roger, why are you just now looking for study resources? IMHO, it is better to spend several months LEARNING the material instead of just trying to just pass the test. I spent several months just reading/watching material to understand it. Then about two weeks before my test I started taking the various free practice exams to see where my weaknesses were. I passed with a 97 after having no prior knowledge of the material.

Yes, you can study just to pass the test. It is not extremely difficult. But they do seem to try to trip you up at times so it is no walk in the park. If you truly understand the material you will have no problem passing.

I agree with Roger, why are you just now looking for study resources? IMHO, it is better to spend several months LEARNING the material instead of just trying to just pass the test. I spent several months just reading/watching material to understand it. Then about two weeks before my test I started taking the various free practice exams to see where my weaknesses were. I passed with a 97 after having no prior knowledge of the material.

Yes, you can study just to pass the test. It is not extremely difficult. But they do seem to try to trip you up at times so it is no walk in the park. If you truly understand the material you will have no problem passing.

Totally agree with you Bryan. You have to know what you are doing. The FAA takes this very seriously and there is great reasoning in their questions. The material is quite interesting actually and you will enjoy that knowledge and find very useful for years to come.

I've been studying for 2 months now. I was just asking for additional material to take a look at - a new perspective. I found quite a bit of good stuff to help out.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you feel comfortable with your knowledge, I would then suggest several of the many free practice exams out there. They seemed to be a pretty good representation of the types of questions that were on my test back in July 2017.

Just rolled in and fired up the laptop - it was a 4 hour drive, round trip for a 3:30 test. Got a 95! Missed 3 questions. One was really stupid of me - the way it was worded got me. It was about the 55 pound limit of UAV. Dumb. Another question vaguely asked about the height of tallest terrestrial object 'generally north' of an airport. I got a little too wide in my search. The third question was multiple guess.

When I get some time I'll add all of the resources that I used to study to this thread in case it can be of help to others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM