Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Pasture Land Management

JDS

Reaction score
Hello All!

I live in the Panhandle of Texas and have opened for business! I have a customer that is looking at using drones to manage his pasture land. More specifically being able to use NDVI for Buffalo Grass. I have seen that there is turf solutions through DD for Dronify. I was going to try it and see how well it works. If anyone has some pointers, I'd love to hear them. I'll post what I find--if it works or not!

RPR,

Thank you for the link.

I'm going to fly it this weekend, I'll post what I find.

Hello All!

I live in the Panhandle of Texas and have opened for business! I have a customer that is looking at using drones to manage his pasture land. More specifically being able to use NDVI for Buffalo Grass. I have seen that there is turf solutions through DD for Dronify. I was going to try it and see how well it works. If anyone has some pointers, I'd love to hear them. I'll post what I find--if it works or not!
Good Luck on the project, be interested in how it goes.
Don't mind, just to get different viewpoints: Are you using an NDVI camera or RGB calc to NDVI. I watched a few DD Ag videos and they showed & stated RGB to obtain NDVI. If that route, here's a short article on RGB for NDVI that I found interesting... I still lean with an NDVI camera. https://botlink.com/blog/ndvi-vs-false-ndvi-whats-better-for-analyzing-crop-health. If you purchased a NDVI instrument, which did you decide to utilize, I've looked the range from low to high: Sentera, MicaSense, and SlantRange offering upper end models.

I know zero on DD & Ag module, other than reading or a few DD Youtubes, looks like a good product. Although there are multiple Ag NDVI programs that provide collection & analysis. Many you can purchase the photogrammetry software that includes NDVI, Thermal, Lidar, and tool collection of 2D & 3D Imaging. Others I've found offer NDVI analysis tools / service using your image collection set. I tend to like the software end of options to have Ownership in the Tools and use the SW Tool in multiple tangents.

The Ag Drone industry is growing, if the COOP's don't seize the majority of business;... the small business shop will have some nice business opportunities. I'm north of you in Iowa: corn, beans, and various pasture crops. Been watching the Ag drone industry as I approach retirement looking for new business... sadly in the mid-west it does appear the COOP's are wanting this revenue source too.

Dougcjohn,

I have both a P3P with RGB and a Agribotix NIR P3A to work with. I had intended on flyin it this last weekend, but it was overcast and rainy. I appreciate you r input. The hardest part for me is going to show that these can give farmers an ROI and are not just a toy. That is the primary reason I am working with a few Farmers and Agronomists to build a case study and prove there is a value.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Dougcjohn,

I have both a P3P with RGB and a Agribotix NIR P3A to work with. I had intended on flyin it this last weekend, but it was overcast and rainy. I appreciate you r input. The hardest part for me is going to show that these can give farmers an ROI and are not just a toy. That is the primary reason I am working with a few Farmers and Agronomists to build a case study and prove there is a value.
I'd agree, the larger Farm operations around my area could certainly apply the crop data obtained in NDVI... some have, and take the GPS data to the sprayers & nitrogen knifes to control where & volume applied in Spring... others need a few years to collect & view bench marks for chemical, pest control & weeds. I also see the moisture Dx of NDVI to assist in water tiling on high & low sections.

We started incorporating GPS on planters & harvest 12-15 yrs ago, but it was crude compared to what aerial data can provide. Took hours of Winter setup time to install & configure both the hardware and software on computers.

Then again, similar to no-till, some Farmers saw the immediate benefit and converted the operation while others continue to work & turn the soil every year because they mainly saw the initial cost to switch to no-till as prohibitive. It's how one sees the cost... present or future.

In the end, I don't think it's an issue to "sell" or "convince"... the benefit is obvious regardless if using common rational thought or more empirical data. As you point out, it's the cost and the ROI for the project and the associated projects to complete the whole project.

That's our main obstacle to overcome with budget minded Farmers & Ranchers who until recent years delt with what they could literally "see & touch" and old fashion common sense. Look what the University Ag Grad's delt with in the 80-90's... trying to convince a change to the "tried & true" based on new education. It's that all over again with another form of technology.

I'd be interested to hear your progress & challenges as your move forward.

Reactions: dempseycreekkid

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM