Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Power Pak discussion

dougcjohn

Reaction score
Been examining various power pak options to charge tablets, batteries, Radio controllers, or even Notebooks (MacBooks or Surface PC) when away from a electrical power source. My vehicles have a 110v Source available, but I'm generally not wanting to use this unless engine is running or driving on road. I'm a little cautious of battery getting pulled down lower than desired if engine off.

I've tried several brands of the 10,000 to 20,000 mAh with 2-4 Ports from Best Buy. These are basically useless, even to charge the RC or Tablet. Some won't even work on newer phones... and if they do, it's at a slow charge rate, not a rapid charge. If these 20,000 units have 3-4 ports, their max port charge rate drops from 2.4 to 2.1 which may effect the device from not recognizing a charge. Some that say they include a 3.0 amp port, I didn't find to work with Samsung Tab S4 or iPad Pro tablets. I've noticed on RC (DJI, Parrot, PowerVision) units, the lower charge rate won't even activate the charge circuit so the RC doesn't accept any charge.

The lowest that provides usable charge to several devices are the 30,000 mAh units.
This unit can handle several devices, it's water & dirt proof, tough little pak with enough juice to keep RC's & Tablets charged.
Techsmarter Rugged @ $85

Haven't tried, but I doubt it'll do much for lipo flight batteries... even the smaller MavicAir or Anafi, not enough storage for the demand.
Plus the connections would be a challenge with proprietary charger connections that provide 110v AC or 12DC Aux on the source end.

My Solution:
For a carry pak, the above 30,000 mAh unit would work, but not enough if you're wanting to charge Notebook and multiple Flight Batteries.... even a small Frig to toss tablets in on hot days.

The research route went to larger "carry" paks that provide much higher watt, voltage & storage and clean Sine Wave current.
I found a very nice compact unit, actually pretty light at 6.5 lbs, 90,000,000 mAh / 298Wh, 110V 60hz 300W Pure Sine Wave that includes 2 110V outlets, multiple charge outlets from USB 5V 3.1A, USB-C 5v 3A, 12V 8A, 24V 3A. All with intelligent circuits and surge & short circuit protection.

PryMAX @ $280

What have other's found or applying for Power Source?
Others just using an Invertor plugged to your battery?
If using an Invertor, don't use the Cig Light 12V Aux port.... risky over time.

Couple of nice Inverters:
Lighter side @ $40

Ample 2000W Unit @ $130

Last edited:
I use a LiPo 12,000 "Pocket Juice" as an emergency power source for my phone. It does what I need it to do when I am out in the field shooting photos and will be away from my car for 12+ hours. But 12,000 mAh would not do much beyond that for charging any other batteries or tools. I have also read reviews of some batteries that do not present enough voltage or ampacity to the phone and the phone may not recognize these power sources. I am lucky that my phone works with it and I have used it to power and charge a small pocket camera, but nothing more.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Because if delivery inconsistencies you’ve already noted I carry a small two stroke generator to provide a charge power supply. Yea, it’s noisy and can’t be used laying on the front or back seat of the car but it always works for anything that gets connected to it. For lengthy operations lasting a full day or more away from power sources I use a 3600W generator.

Because if delivery inconsistencies you’ve already noted I carry a small two stroke generator to provide a charge power supply. Yea, it’s noisy and can’t be used laying on the front or back seat of the car but it always works for anything that gets connected to it. For lengthy operations lasting a full day or more away from power sources I use a 3600W generator.
Wow... 2 stroke Genny... o_O Does she hold the high R’s like the old MASH units... the genny isn’t OD is it? Those old genny’s could run a string of tent lights and not pull from the OR main unit.

I’ve been seriously looking at the units at Harbor Freight... they look like nice units, dang good price too.

Last edited:
I use a LiPo 12,000 "Pocket Juice" as an emergency power source for my phone. It does what I need it to do when I am out in the field shooting photos and will be away from my car for 12+ hours. But 12,000 mAh would not do much beyond that for charging any other batteries or tools. I have also read reviews of some batteries that do not present enough voltage or ampacity to the phone and the phone may not recognize these power sources. I am lucky that my phone works with it and I have used it to power and charge a small pocket camera, but nothing more.
Phone charger these are great & small.... like you mentioned, as long as they’ll activate the charge circuit. I mainly use tablets (old eyes) and they drain fast ad a flight controller.

I live in Sweden, where it is cold at winter time, thus having a diesel heater in the car (Land-Rover). For this reason I have an extra 90Ah 12V battery, which can be charges from a mains outlet or from the engine's generator.
Additionally I have an inverter giving pure sine wave. This makes it easy for me to charge the Inspire and Phantom batteries, plus controllers as need be, with the same chargers I use at home.

Anker and
That looks & specs as a nice one. Beats the 30,000 unit with similar specs.

I'm an Anker product user and has been using their PowerCore 20100mAh, I somehow misplaced it, but since I'm bringing my laptop to the field, I don't think, I can live without the Imuto.

I live in Sweden, where it is cold at winter time, thus having a diesel heater in the car (Land-Rover). For this reason I have an extra 90Ah 12V battery, which can be charges from a mains outlet or from the engine's generator.
Additionally I have an inverter giving pure sine wave. This makes it easy for me to charge the Inspire and Phantom batteries, plus controllers as need be, with the same chargers I use at home.
The LandRover has a diesel auxiliary heater, a 2nd battery is a great solution!
The diesel makes it much easier to let idle and charge and drive the inverter.

Wow... 2 stroke Genny... o_O Does she hold the high R’s like the old MASH units... the genny isn’t OD is it? Those old genny’s could run a string of tent lights and not pull from the OR main unit.

I’ve been seriously looking at the units at Harbor Freight... they look like nice units, dang good price too.
Dang, never really “looked” much at the smaller generators... after your 2 stroke comment, I was amazed just how many 2 Strokes are available... some pretty good sized and some rated very quite too.

Due to the 2 stroke, many very light too.
Not a bad option... long feeder cable to table top inverter, leave the genny near the vehicle. Able to drive battery chargers and various devices... if the quite ones are as advertised.

;) And noticed many were still OD Green!
I liked the non-Honda red... have to check out that light little one from Harbor Frieght.

Looks handy Can you share a little info, re: type of batteries you are charging,charging time, etc..?

I’ve charged my battery i1, i2, and m2p batteries as well as my Mac book pro. To charge my DJI batteries I’m using a cheap $48 HTRC LiHV to pump juice. I’m able to charge x2 TB48, TB50 and x4 m2bat, as well as my laptop and I’m left with 20%-30% in my power source (minus the laptop.)

My car has power outlets (GMC Acadia) that can quickly charge my unit if needed, and usually seldom, except if I’m going to multiple locations, but I usually break down my workflow, so I can budget for time and logistics.

I land all of my batteries at 50% and my critical set to 35, but depending on what I’m doing.

Doug,

The one I’m using is an older Harbor Freight model that had a bad carb on it when I obtained it for $10.00 at a yard sale. No, it’s not OD[emoji6]. As it only cost $6.00 for a carb rebuild kit and an hour of my labor it was too good a deal to pass up.

Similar units can be had at Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight at prices ranging from $85.00-$120.00. Gotta keep ‘em outta sight of tree huggers though, they go ballistic over anything diesel or two stroke. Well, anything that uses fossil fuels really as they believe everything should be electrically powered via solar or wind technologies, conveniently forgetting about the energy sources required to manufacture batteries and power generation equipment.

I land all of my batteries at 50% and my critical set to 35, but depending on what I’m doing.

I curious why you are only using 50% on your batteries? I thought I was conservative landing around 30%. with critical at 20%.

I curious why you are only using 50% on your batteries? I thought I was conservative landing around 30%. with critical at 20%.

Depending on what I’m doing, I’ve got a workflow going on and I divide my time, and landing at 50% has been working out for me and healthier for my batteries.

Doug,

The one I’m using is an older Harbor Freight model that had a bad carb on it when I obtained it for $10.00 at a yard sale. No, it’s not OD[emoji6]. As it only cost $6.00 for a carb rebuild kit and an hour of my labor it was too good a deal to pass up.

Similar units can be had at Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight at prices ranging from $85.00-$120.00. Gotta keep ‘em outta sight of tree huggers though, they go ballistic over anything diesel or two stroke. Well, anything that uses fossil fuels really as they believe everything should be electrically powered via solar or wind technologies, conveniently forgetting about the energy sources required to manufacture batteries and power generation equipment.

That little genny was a great buy for ya... and not a bad unit. I assume it's the little 63cc model. Before my bicycle ride & heat, I watched several YouTubes on smaller 2 stroke gennys.

That one is a popular little guy... the next hop up to the 2000W is a Honda competitor.
All in all, after several youtubes... although they are quiet, they aren't near silent... discouraging! LOL! I'll stay on the Lg power paks for now for 1 day's outing.

Chuckling with Ya on your tree huggers and electrical power. We have a massive amount of Wind Generators in IA, and even the Operator's of these farms know they can't produce anywhere near the capacity to provide a fraction of the coal or hydro plants and we'd have to pretty much cover the land in solar or wind generators to provide a small percentage of the power plants output. They really skim over that in media, it just won't meet power requirements.

I even had one tell me the solar panels would collect a lot more if outside our atmosphere... I responded "you mean orbital panels?" Their response "Ya, cool eh; or even the moon surface"... My silent thoughts... Hmmm, shuttle burning massive fuel or a 20 mile cord... My que to walk away.

The only current technology that is/can be extremely clean is nuclear. But as long as coal & hydro are a low cost no incentive to build or address media. Used in other nations for years with no problems... and our military, can you imagine how many wind or solar panels would be needed to drive an aircraft carrier at alert status speed... ROFL!!!

On a smaller scale, I am all for electric. When gas gets up to where it would naturally be if not govt controlled, I'll probably go electric car... and the gas savings will pay the monthly loan.

If we were to remove various government taxes and the cost impacts of blending corn based fuel the cost of a gallon of gas drops quite a bit. That reduction would be even more dramatic in the UK, EU, and AU where they pay triple or more than we do because of taxes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM