Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Practical Drone Training for Police/Fire/Hazmat

PWidmayer

Reaction score
Website
widdrone.wixsite.com
I am looking for feedback on training programs for Police/Fire/Hazmat. I am in the process of developing programs for my local emergency service agencies. I know about Drone U, Props, Dart Drones, and many others. I am seeking input about what you would like to see, how a program would work if you designed it. I have over 30 years in the fire service and several years as a drone pilot. Can you come up with use cases for drones outside the mapping and looking for lost people? Have you heard stories good/bad or otherwise of drones on patrol? Anyone have ideas on ongoing training requirements?

Hello,
I am the coordinator for our OEM sUAS program.
For flight skills training we use APSA BPERP (NIST course), both Basic and Advanced. I was skeptical at first about the benefit of these courses, but after taking them, I am a MUCH better pilot, especially close in flying.
They offer proctor training courses so you can do all cert and recert in house.

For flight software and related training, we just implement this by flying and going throught the menus and settings for each individual sUAS. This can be far harder especially since we have 3 different sUAS (2 Autels and 1 DJI).

Use Cases
Police
We have provided overwatch for PD in hostage/barricaded suspect incidents.
We have helped to look for fleeing suspects.
Civil Disturbance overwatch

Fire
Fire Suppression overwatch
Hazardous Materials Incident overwatch
Building collapse overwatch

OEM
Storm Damage
Special Event overwatch

Beach Patrol
PFD Drops
Rescue overwatch

As far as active patrols, we do not do this for a couple of reasons. One is manpower, we do not have enough personnel to afford a person flying the sUAS as their only job. Also a patrol or response type program would need to be geared towards DFR. This would entail both a blanket and jurisdictional COA with a Tactical BVLOS waiver. There are increased risks of an incident with an sUAS constantly flying over people, property and moving vehicles. You would need a trained maintenance person and full buy in from all members to lower risks as you would basically be self certifying your sUAS and this entails its own risks. We hope to do this in the future, but at this time we just conduct ops as Part 107.

Make sure you write out an SOP (Our SOP is a Flight Manual) and a good flight logging software such as Air Data and Dronelogbook will help to track various parts of your program. It is a lot of work to get a properly configured program up and running. Be sure to write out this plan. Start by wrting down what you need to accomplish and what missions you will be flying. Then purchase the correct sUAS to conduct these missions. Write out a proper budget and make sure to include ALL costs (sUAS, accesories, batteries, training, insurance, registration, test fees, accident protection plans, software, storage). Nothing is worse than asking for money and then coming back and asking for more because of your own mistakes.

Collaborate with other agencies that have a program. Our state police have a large program and will always help with training.

Return the taxpayer investment!!! You can always inspect and map city owned infrastructure. Provide demonstrations to the public, schools and private entities. Use your thermal imaging camera to inspect all flat roofs for moisture intrusion.

This is just a brief outline. PM me if you need any help.

Hello,
I am the coordinator for our OEM sUAS program.
For flight skills training we use APSA BPERP (NIST course), both Basic and Advanced. I was skeptical at first about the benefit of these courses, but after taking them, I am a MUCH better pilot, especially close in flying.
They offer proctor training courses so you can do all cert and recert in house.

For flight software and related training, we just implement this by flying and going throught the menus and settings for each individual sUAS. This can be far harder especially since we have 3 different sUAS (2 Autels and 1 DJI).

Use Cases
Police
We have provided overwatch for PD in hostage/barricaded suspect incidents.
We have helped to look for fleeing suspects.
Civil Disturbance overwatch

Fire
Fire Suppression overwatch
Hazardous Materials Incident overwatch
Building collapse overwatch

OEM
Storm Damage
Special Event overwatch

Beach Patrol
PFD Drops
Rescue overwatch

As far as active patrols, we do not do this for a couple of reasons. One is manpower, we do not have enough personnel to afford a person flying the sUAS as their only job. Also a patrol or response type program would need to be geared towards DFR. This would entail both a blanket and jurisdictional COA with a Tactical BVLOS waiver. There are increased risks of an incident with an sUAS constantly flying over people, property and moving vehicles. You would need a trained maintenance person and full buy in from all members to lower risks as you would basically be self certifying your sUAS and this entails its own risks. We hope to do this in the future, but at this time we just conduct ops as Part 107.

Make sure you write out an SOP (Our SOP is a Flight Manual) and a good flight logging software such as Air Data and Dronelogbook will help to track various parts of your program. It is a lot of work to get a properly configured program up and running. Be sure to write out this plan. Start by wrting down what you need to accomplish and what missions you will be flying. Then purchase the correct sUAS to conduct these missions. Write out a proper budget and make sure to include ALL costs (sUAS, accesories, batteries, training, insurance, registration, test fees, accident protection plans, software, storage). Nothing is worse than asking for money and then coming back and asking for more because of your own mistakes.

Collaborate with other agencies that have a program. Our state police have a large program and will always help with training.

Return the taxpayer investment!!! You can always inspect and map city owned infrastructure. Provide demonstrations to the public, schools and private entities. Use your thermal imaging camera to inspect all flat roofs for moisture intrusion.

This is just a brief outline. PM me if you need any help.
Awesome feedback - Thanks !! I appreciate all the information provided.

Nice job Jaja summing that up, but she is so much more. Aerial situational awareness for any large scale EMS response. I created an IC screen that sits in the response truck with wifi from the controller to the screen. Constant realtime heads up on ground crew and any adjacent structures when working an active fire. The last point there that Jaja made is worth repeating. I mention all the time to smaller towns that say they don't have the funds for a program. Think outside the box. How can I use this tool to help the city monitor their large infrastructure assets at the same time giving the crew opportunities to get hours in flying. Here is the thread to the IC screen. I have built a few of them. Dirt cheap. Portable Incident Command Monitoring Station

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann