Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Rookie looking for advice

Just my two cents but I looked into Multivista in the past. They had plenty of work, but they were having people fly 9-10 jobs a day driving to different sites, bend or outright break rules to get the shots ASAP, spend hours "after work" downloading images and prepping gear until late into the night, and paying a salary (no OT of course) that was a couple dollars/hour higher than an auto parts store or fast food employee. I'd imagine they were very cheap from the customer POV to make all of that work.

To me it was not worth the stress and late nights and possible legal headache for even a beginner 107 operator. They are franchised, so hopefully the one in your area is more reasonable.
Appreciate your feedback on the company. I emailed the branch in my city but I haven't heard from them yet. Hopefully someone can give me some sort of direction!

Reactions: MikeA
Just my two cents but I looked into Multivista in the past. They had plenty of work, but they were having people fly 9-10 jobs a day driving to different sites, bend or outright break rules to get the shots ASAP, spend hours "after work" downloading images and prepping gear until late into the night, and paying a salary (no OT of course) that was a couple dollars/hour higher than an auto parts store or fast food employee. I'd imagine they were very cheap from the customer POV to make all of that work.

To me it was not worth the stress and late nights and possible legal headache for even a beginner 107 operator. They are franchised, so hopefully the one in your area is more reasonable.
Thanks for the input regarding MultiVista. If I may ask, how did you get hired on with them? I emailed the branch in my city but have not heard anything yet and when I check their main website, there are no options for employment opportunities.

What city are you in? Best way to get a job with them is to go introduce yourself and let them know what you are interested in. They will most likely want to know what construction, photography, and drone knowledge and experience you have. I owned a home and commercial inspection business prior to contracting with them.
What I liked about them is their training on every aspect.

Appreciate your feedback on the company. I emailed the branch in my city but I haven't heard from them yet. Hopefully someone can give me some sort of direction!
Seems like Mr. Perry and others have had much better experience with their local branches, so if I were you I’d definitely call or stop by to introduce yourself and see what they’re all about.

Reactions: Dudeinthedesert
Hi R.Perry,

Do you have a post that describes in detail your journey to becoming a contract drone pilot for Multivista? I would like to know things like how long you have been working for them? How did you get the contracts you have with them? Did you start out as an employee of the SF franchise? How much drone flying experience did you have when you started with them? Thanks.

At the end of 2017 Multivista needed a drone pilot for the UC Merced project. I lived relatively close so they gave me a contract for that project. Prior to that I was using my drone for roof inspections both residential and commercial. Also I used the drone with our local volunteer fire department when requested. I picked up a few small jobs with a couple of different companies and a few farms. I was never an employee of Multivista however they insisted I attend the Avion drone school in Huntsville, AL, and they paid for it. That requirement is a requirement for all branches dictated by MV in Vancouver BC.
When I started with MV I really didn't have a great deal of experience with drones but I understood the construction business since I had been doing commercial and home inspections and was certified.
I learned a great deal the first two years working with them so the time was well spent and the money was good. I found you always seem to do better financially with your own business than working for someone else. I have accumulated over 585 flights and about 38000 photos since beginning with MV. I guess they liked my work because they have continued to give me work, sometimes more than I want. I also learned a great deal from the folks on this forum.
I will say this, I'm glad I didn't need to depend on drone work to make a living, it has always been a side gig for me.
My career was in Aviation mainly crop dusting, CDF fire retardant drops and farming.

Last edited:
Thanks for the in depth reply! I sent my resume to MV but I don't have any construction industry experience and it sounds like they are really looking for that so I won't get my hopes up. I am actively trying to get a job as a drone delivery pilot with one of the companies partnered with Walmart. Hopefully they will pay enough to live on and if nothing else it will be a good time and experience builder.

MV like their people to know a little about construction, and photography. One of they guys they hired for the South Bay (Silicon Valley) had no construction of photography experience at all, but was young and eager to learn and work. He did have his 107 license and that is a must have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215