Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Sample versus Actual Test Questions

scottalmas

Reaction score
I am in what I think is the final stages of preparing for my 107 exam. I took the online course through Drone Launch Academy and I think that did a decent job preparing me for the exam. I say that because I am doing well on practice tests through DLA and what I find online. The issue is that the questions I have found so far keep turning up over and over again. I don't want to get a false sense of confidence.

Can anyone speak to whether the questions on the actual exam are substantially similar to the questions seen online at 3DR's site: FAA Part 107 Drone Exam Practice Tests - Page 1 | 3DR ?

Thanks and fly safe!
Scott

Yes the sample questions in the link you posted are almost verbatim from the actual 107 test i took.

Good luck with the exam - if I passed it I am sure you won't have a problem

Here's another sample test, using FAA questions from Gold Seal:

I would caution you on basing your study strategy on memorizing questions and answers. The FAA came out with a statement late last year that they are actively working to make it more difficult to pass airman knowledge tests based on memorization. They have always gone through and reworded questions to some degree, but they are now doing it more aggressively. Learn the material and the concepts. Then, it doesn't matter how the questions are worded. Learning the material should be your goal anyway, not just passing a test.

I also suggest that you stick with programs developed by FAA flight instructors. Otherwise, you're being taught by people who have no training in the subject. Do you want to learn how to read a sectional chart by some guy who just self-taught himself a few months ago?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajkm and PatR
I am in what I think is the final stages of preparing for my 107 exam. I took the online course through Drone Launch Academy and I think that did a decent job preparing me for the exam. I say that because I am doing well on practice tests through DLA and what I find online. The issue is that the questions I have found so far keep turning up over and over again. I don't want to get a false sense of confidence.

Can anyone speak to whether the questions on the actual exam are substantially similar to the questions seen online at 3DR's site: FAA Part 107 Drone Exam Practice Tests - Page 1 | 3DR ?

Thanks and fly safe!
Scott

I just took my test on Thursday, and it shocked me seeing the questions, I passed but not the way I would like, out of the 60 I knew maybe 35-40, the others were obscure, stuff I never seen before, and It was suggested to take a magnifying glass I didn't and looking for a out of the way little stinking airport on a whole page that was maybe a dirt runway you cannot see easily. On my practice tests I was 100% for at least a week on every practice test. Its a typical Gov't test. I have taken others, they ask of course stuff you never really seen before, or will in the future, and the obvious answer most of the time is not correct, I am still wondering where these questions come from.

Here's another sample test, using FAA questions from Gold Seal:

I would caution you on basing your study strategy on memorizing questions and answers. The FAA came out with a statement late last year that they are actively working to make it more difficult to pass airman knowledge tests based on memorization. They have always gone through and reworded questions to some degree, but they are now doing it more aggressively. Learn the material and the concepts. Then, it doesn't matter how the questions are worded. Learning the material should be your goal anyway, not just passing a test.

I also suggest that you stick with programs developed by FAA flight instructors. Otherwise, you're being taught by people who have no training in the subject. Do you want to learn how to read a sectional chart by some guy who just self-taught himself a few months ago?
Exactly right !!!!!!!

I just took my test on Thursday, and it shocked me seeing the questions, I passed but not the way I would like, out of the 60 I knew maybe 35-40, the others were obscure, stuff I never seen before, and It was suggested to take a magnifying glass I didn't and looking for a out of the way little stinking airport on a whole page that was maybe a dirt runway you cannot see easily. On my practice tests I was 100% for at least a week on every practice test. Its a typical Gov't test. I have taken others, they ask of course stuff you never really seen before, or will in the future, and the obvious answer most of the time is not correct, I am still wondering where these questions come from.

I hear this type of story a lot. The fault lies not in the test, it's the product or method you used to study. There should be nothing on the test that is new or unfamiliar to you.

This is the problem with so many people jumping into the training market. Some guy passes the test (the one and only FAA test he has ever taken) and suddenly he's an instructor with a new course online. This is exactly why I suggest to people to only use training products developed by FAA instructors.

It wasn't new or unfamiliar but I have taken other State and Federal tests, the way they are worded and they are looking for THEIR answer. the questions were vague to me and as usual there could be more than one reasonable answer. I get the same thing on a YEARLY test on the Federal NMLS license, and also the State RE brokers lic. Also the State contractors license does the same thing to trip you up.

I was referencing the "35-40" that you said were obscure or "stuff" you "hadn't seen before". Using the proper test prep course, nothing should be obscure.

But yes, the FAA does not always develop questions in the best way. I completely agree with you on that.

The FAA wants you to learn and understand the National Airspace System. Spending time with the FAA recommended training materials gets you there. They don’t care if you memorize the answers to a few questions using text similar to theirs, or if you pass or fail, but if that’s all you know you will not be ready to be, or safe, flying as a commercial operator. If you know and understand the material you will pass the test regardless of how questions are worded.

A legitimate commercial operator understands the regulations, how to work within them, and when unknowns arise, where and how to look in FAA reference materials to obtain answers and clarifications. If you have to visit a social media blog to ask commercial operator questions you don’t have your chit together.

Those that study using FAA material will discover the FAA permits applicants to take a magnifying glass, simple calculator, ruler, straight edge, or aviation type straight edge plotter to use taking the test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ Still
I dont get your complaint, You passed. Thats the objective, not the score, nobody, no Clinet has ever asked me what what my score was, all they wanted to know is that I had the license. By the way not that it matters I got a 98 :) ... I did it by using an established online course that teach pilots, not drone pilots but real pilots, they have been doing this type of trying for 60 years, there are four or five of them online.

Anyone have an opinion on the ASA test prep training book? I've been through it and don't quite feel confident even though most aviation topics are not exactly foreign ideas to me, I've flown fixed wing but never held a lisense.

It seems like it's mostly sample questions which encourages memorization, with not much actual study material.

I had the 2018 book and never went to take my test, now have the 2020 book. I pass sample exams reliably at 60-80% but that doesn't cut it for me.

I will say I passed the faasafety.gov sUAS course no problem, (the one established pilots take to get sUAS credibility) only missed 2 out of like 35. The questions on it were just about verbatim as the ASA guide.

When the FAA’s drone test for full scale pilots came out the only passing grade was 100%. They relaxed that a little later on.

As a former flight instructor I can assure you that so called “accelerated” courses like ASA and all the other question and answer test prep courses are consistent in only one thing; allowing you to memorize enough answers to pass a test, but also establishing you will forget most all you memorized within a month.

So you may have passed a written test but within days afterwards you will be much like a blind man stumbling through a mine field. A major drawback to that is unlike the blind man, you can cause harm to more than just yourself.

We see questions from “107 operators” all the time asking how they can do this or that or how to deal with different situations. Almost every time we encounter them we wonder how the heck they became a certificated operator as they don’t know enough to find their backsides with both hands. Almost without fail they took a Q&A memorization course to get them through the test. If the subject matter they are questioning wasn’t part of the course they don’t have a clue. If the subject matter they are questioning isn’t being presented in the format they studied they are incapable of dealing with it as they failed to develop the knowledge base necessary to research available documents and make sound decisions.

In closing, ASA is one of the more comprehensive Q&A courses, but if you’re serious about this stuff it’s not the way to go. Take a look at King Schools courses. It might take you a few weeks going through their remote pilot course but you won’t be a dumb a$$ once you’ve passed the test.

The FAA has only two grades; pass or fail. The scores are to denote areas you are deficient in and highlight them for further study.

Pat made some excellent points, I would like to add something. Knowledge only means something if you know how to use it. We have check lists on aircraft for one reason, memorization isn't good enough. You need apply what your are learning. You should be able to look at a sectional and know immediately what information is on it and how to use it for your job. Once you get that 107, don't think for a moment you have all the answers, life has a habit of changing all the questions.
If season multi thousand hour pilots can make mistakes, rest assured you will to.
I wish you the best of luck

Not trying to sound like I am "blowing my own horn" but even though I passed my 107 I still log into the online course I took to review. I am not flying every day so I feel I need the review to keep refreshed on the varied topics.

Also reading the posts on here and the "sister" forums helps keeping up to date on various topics. Maybe (and hopefully won't) I haven't had any of the problems discussed but the info may prevent me from having them or a least prepare me in the event if I do experience them.

Reactions: Airmapper
I sprung for the King course @PatR mentioned. I am familiar with them from my student pilot days, and always heard high reviews on the way they present information. I had no idea they had a Remote Pilot course, thanks for that, I would have looked at them sooner. I had looked at some other courses but didn't find any I was really confident in what I was getting.

Martha can come across rather odd but they convey the info well. I’ve always viewed them as a couple strange ducks but their courses have been getting the job done with a high level of success from when I first became aware of them in the ‘80’s. Better still, they provide tons of FAR and visual references for clarification, and you don’t forget what they presented easily.

Their recurrent course got me through the exam with ease. I did the initial test in ‘16 “the hard way” by brushing up on the FAR’s, AIM, Aviation Weather, and Chart Supplement book reviews.

As Mr. Perry mentioned, you can never stop learning in aviation endeavors.

Reactions: Airmapper
I found when i took the 107 test in April of 19, I purchased study guides, took sample test on various websites. Lot of the questions on the test i was not familiar with, ended up with an 80. Im happy that i passed, but frustrated all the studying didnt help that much

None of the test questions are intended to be found in study guides. In fact, it’s against the law to copy and publish the questions. What you see in study guides are similar to what is in the actual tests, but not the same.

That’s part of the reason it’s better to study and learn the background material the questions are derived from. The greater benefit is you understand the system instead of the answer to a very limited question. There’s a whole lotta people out there that passed the test but don’t know squat about the system. Those are the ones that cause themselves a lot of problems.

Reactions: R.Perry
One thing that I didn't realize right away, and I think perhaps makes some folks believe it's a "drone" test and not a "pilot" test, and are surprised by the range of material covered (and I sure hope it doesn't get me as well when I sit for an exam soon) is the fact the Remote Pilot with sUAS rating covers unmanned aircraft like these as well: (see image)

Weight and balance, and fixed wing questions seemed a lot more relevant to me when I realized these more serious aircraft are legal to PIC with this license. I'm glad it's no more complex than it is but I tend to agree with the sentiment it should take more than a paper test to be considered competent to fly a craft like that. I know I don't want to take the controls of that without some guidance from an experienced pilot for a time to get used to something that can actually get up to that 100mph speed limit and stay in the air for hours plural.

silent-falcon-launch-rail-741x486.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM