Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

So I wasted my morning....

JustinR

Reaction score
DJI Matrice 210 RTK V2, 3 hour waiver in place, requested and received clearance (for the first time) on DJI's website, map wouldn't update and I couldn't take off.....This whole process is BS....I am a licensed pilot and shouldn't have to deal with this BS...

• Angry
Reactions: Recoveryone
You get no argument from me. If you took the time to get your 107 DJI should leave you alone to handle the freedom and responsibility of flying your drone.

And as I've argued in the past, if DJI is going to dictate when and where you can fly they should bare some of the responsibility when their system either prevents you from flying where you are authorized to fly or allows you to fly where you're not authorized to fly.

It is not as simple as being made in China. There are other Chinese made drones that do no have DJI's nanny-state mentality. They say they do it for "safety" and then proudly advertise even consumer level drones capable of flying far past VLOS. Seems hysterical hypocritical to me.

Reactions: 2edgesword
Maybe my next drone will be a Skydio. I have not experienced these issues first hand yet but maybe DJI is overstepping their bounds in order to cover their own backsides. Although maybe it is not working because every time you see an incident in the news, it is one of their products.

DJI Matrice 210 RTK V2, 3 hour waiver in place, requested and received clearance (for the first time) on DJI's website, map wouldn't update and I couldn't take off.....This whole process is BS....I am a licensed pilot and shouldn't have to deal with this BS...

You should invest in a solution that does not have "GeoFencing" or you will run this risk time and again. It's smart to have several options on hand.

So who can compete with DJI on features/cost? I wish there was a US company that could. Although, I think most will be like DJI with geofencing... So my next question is, what did I do wrong on this? Is the process just broken or was it me?

Also, this was in a restricted zone. Basically they are telling me I can't fly there with their drone....So who has a better drone, or solution, for $20,000 that can compete with the capabilities of the matrice 210 V2 RTK that isn't fixed wing and no geofencing?

........Also, this was in a restricted zone. ......

A Red Zone? Well, that’s a key bit of info, isn’t it? You have to contact them directly in order to unlock Restricted Zones. You can’t do it through the regular Blue Zone Unlock online that downloads to the Go/controller/aircraft.

I've yet to need/try to unlock a Red Zone, but have not had any issues with Blue Zones. It’s worked every time for me.

Reactions: JDSimpson
Also, this was in a restricted zone. Basically they are telling me I can't fly there with their drone....So who has a better drone, or solution, for $20,000 that can compete with the capabilities of the matrice 210 V2 RTK that isn't fixed wing and no geofencing?

That isn't what they are telling you at all. They are telling you they have determined that is a high risk area so you have to jump a bit higher to get through their hoops. Did you try to do the custom unlock on site or did you do it in advance? It sounds a bit like you waited to do it out in the field while on site. If your time or money is valuable, I'd highly recommend doing both the FAA authorizations and DJI unlocks well in advance of the job to try to minimize risks of disruptions.

That isn't what they are telling you at all. They are telling you they have determined that is a high risk area so you have to jump a bit higher to get through their hoops. Did you try to do the custom unlock on site or did you do it in advance? It sounds a bit like you waited to do it out in the field while on site. If your time or money is valuable, I'd highly recommend doing both the FAA authorizations and DJI unlocks well in advance of the job to try to minimize risks of disruptions.
This was my first experience with a)finally getting a waiver from the FAA to fly in a restricted zone, and b)having to go through DJIs crap of a procedure. Again, I don't need a private company to restrict me, just the FAA thanks. Obviously I learned how to better approach this for next time.

Reactions: 2edgesword
This was my first experience with a)finally getting a waiver from the FAA to fly in a restricted zone, and b)having to go through DJIs crap of a procedure. Again, I don't need a private company to restrict me, just the FAA thanks. Obviously I learned how to better approach this for next time.

Life is a learning experience.

Unfortunately, if you are planning on flying DJI, this is going to be a facet of your business at which you are going to have to get proficient. I know it is a pain in the ****, but it is something we've all had to come to grips with. We can complain about it all we want, but the matter of fact is that DJI has decided it is in their best interest to continue down this path to help protect their business and to help prevent an over reaching and emotional governmental response in reaction to a potential headlining incident. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I have to say, I do understand it from their perspective.

I think the issue boils down to why DJI should have any "hoops" involving your decision to fly, especially for those that have gone through the time and expense to get their 107. It's bothersome to me that a foreign company does it but I'd also be bothered if a U.S. company did it. Neither China or DJI have any legislative authority to prohibit the use of U.S. airspace (if I'm wrong about that someone please correct me).

I think the issue boils down to why DJI should have any "hoops" involving your decision to fly, especially for those that have gone through the time and expense to get their 107. It's bothersome to me that a foreign company does it but I'd also be bothered if a U.S. company did it. Neither China or DJI have any legislative authority to prohibit the use of U.S. airspace (if I'm wrong about that someone please correct me).

The great thing is that we all get to vote on whether we want geofencing or not. Nobody is forcing us to use DJI's products. If we find it to be a big enough problem, we vote to spend our money on a competing system that doesn't have these restrictions. If enough of us spend our money on a non-DJI system, then maybe they will alter their course and implement a more open system. However, up until now, a large majority of us have voted for DJI and so they feel like they've got plenty of business justification to continue with this system.

I'm pretty lucky in the region I live. I understand for others they may not be so lucky. We have very few red restricted zones that take a bit more effort to get a custom unlock from DJI. Fortunately I haven't had to do much in those areas. We do have plenty of blue authorization zones, but those take about 30 seconds to do a self-unlock. Thankfully I've not had any significant issues unlocking these areas.

So for me, the other benefits I get from the DJI products I use outweighs the hassle factor of their geofencing. I guess each of us need to gauge that and vote with our $$$ for you situation.

It's a factory "Feature" that is clearly marked and marketed from the get go. The best way to avoid it would be to not give your $$ to said company.

Reactions: R Martin
It's a factory "Feature" that is clearly marked and marketed from the get go. The best way to avoid it would be to not give your $$ to said company.

This is why I have a second drone that is NOT made by DJI. It more than just a matter of economics but principle. The authority to control U.S. airspace belongs to the FAA not DJI or any other company.

Probably because it is their product and they are trying to cover their own. It is one of their "features" and while they don't go into great detail, they don't hide it either. Let the buyer beware. Do your homework and if not, you have no-one to blame but yourself.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM