Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

State By State Licensing?

ARTIZAN

Reaction score
Are there any specific licensing rules in your state? Please comment on any specific rules if any there are in your state.

North Carolina just passed a law that requires an NC DOT licence to operate UAS in NC. It's completely crazy, but you better get it if you're headed there.

North Carolina just passed a law that requires an NC DOT licence to operate UAS in NC. It's completely crazy, but you better get it if you're headed there.

That one's been in place since long before Part 107. We had to get it and enter our Section 333 Exemption # to get the permit. Section 333 is what we utilized to operate commercially prior to Part 107 being implemented.

It's another tax base. Just imagine you may have to put a DOT sticker on your SLAT (slow low aerial target) a better name for drone:rolleyes: Maybe, SLAC (slow low aerial camera)?

At least in NC it's completely FREE and has been for years so far.

Reactions: ARTIZAN and AH-1G
An Attorney and Representative here in RI wanted to introduce Legislation in regard to Drones. As usual, a reckless irresponsible person was buzzing someones home continuously and trying to film activities in the backyard. The Rep was concerned about the Airport, the States largest, and wanted to insure safety by registering Drones with the State. I Know the Rep through a Board that I sit on and I called him. I explained the NFZ features of what I use and that it is a very small irresponsible few out there. He stated that he did not know the Technology was out there. There has been no State Legislation as of yet. You need to be proactive and contact your Legislators and explain the Federal Registration and that we are Licensed Professionals. We do the good things and will be the first to report the irresponsible parties.

An Attorney and Representative here in RI wanted to introduce Legislation in regard to Drones. As usual, a reckless irresponsible person was buzzing someones home continuously and trying to film activities in the backyard. The Rep was concerned about the Airport, the States largest, and wanted to insure safety by registering Drones with the State. I Know the Rep through a Board that I sit on and I called him. I explained the NFZ features of what I use and that it is a very small irresponsible few out there. He stated that he did not know the Technology was out there. There has been no State Legislation as of yet. You need to be proactive and contact your Legislators and explain the Federal Registration and that we are Licensed Professionals. We do the good things and will be the first to report the irresponsible parties.
It's sad to know not all government officials are up to par with these regulations. I come across this with our local law officers, like you once explained what is and is not they move on.

Are there any specific licensing rules in your state? Please comment on any specific rules if any there are in your state.
Here is a link to one of the most comprehensive lists I've come across from an attorney with a reasonably long involvement in aviation -
State Drone Laws
There were many new State laws passed last year across the country, including the addition of 'reasonable privacy' dialogue.

So who's going to enforce these laws?
So far, there has been VERY little enforcement. But all it really takes is a call to the area FSDO to start an investigation. From there, who knows what the next step could be... and that's exactly what the FAA is banking-on. Those of us doing everything by the book will constantly be frustrated by the cowboys. This is supposed to be a self-policing community per 107 guidelines. You can imagine the sheer number of BS reports they have received, especially early-on from 333 holders p/o'ed about the 107 changes to the monopoly. I personally know of a few! All things said, I believe it will stabilize and we will see more enforcement throughout 2018. This is still all in it's infancy stages.

Reactions: AH-1G
So far, no state regulation regarding uas in Washington State. There is a bill in committee that would attempt to regulate uas but so far has not gone anywhere.

It's sad to know not all government officials are up to par with these regulations. I come across this with our local law officers, like you once explained what is and is not they move on.

I feel that if they have no interest they will not be up to speed. At least he was open minded and backed off when I explained things to him. We have to be proactive and get involved at the first hint of possible Legislation. That is Legislation that is aimed at all of us that are responsible. I have no issue and in fact encourage Legislation against the irresponsible as their actions hurt the responsible parties such as the members of this forum.

What exactly is an NC DOT licence and where are they obtained?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM