Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Still Photos

Jack Matthias

Reaction score
Has anyone gone around asking if people would like a aerial photo of their home. If you have did it work. What did you charge? Did you frame it for them or just give them the photo on an as card?

Has anyone gone around asking if people would like a aerial photo of their home. If you have did it work. What did you charge? Did you frame it for them or just give them the photo on an as card?
What country are you talking about? Do you have reduced stand-off distances within your certification allowing you to get closer to buildings/houses etc that are not under your direct control (neighbouring properties for instance)?
This can be harder (or easier) depending on the countries UAV aviation rules/laws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
Interesting concept...I know this has been done a lot from manned aircraft (planes and helicopters) with some success in Florida. On a similar concept, a company called Boat Pix (www.boatpix.com) does this with R22s flying around taking photos of boats and then selling them to anyone who contacts them to get the photo.

In my opinion, the concept might work, but the delivery method might be complicated - not a lot of door knockers selling things anymore. For the cost of a stamp you might be able to send them a watermarked copy with instructions on where to buy the real photo (or multiple angles).

The last thing you will have to think about is how to do this and follow the part 107 rules (assuming you are in the US).

Good luck!

Reactions: BigAl07

I feel that advertising would be a better marketing effort. In doing that your efforts will reach any prospective clients.

This is something that I have thought about and wondered how The FAA would look at it. I have been told by a very experienced drone photographer, who also does all types of photography, that a 107 pilot can fly as a hobbyist as long as they don’t mix it during a flight. Now this is his definition and not confirmed by The FAA. OK I got to thinking, if a 107 pilot is flying as a hobbyist and get some really good video and/or photographs and decides to show them to an interested party who buys them wouldn’t that be mixing your flight? Would you turn down money if it was a very good offer? And what about work you did before you were certified? Is it legal to sell?

The point of the original post has been missed. It's not about 107 rules, etc. He's asking if anyone has tried doing drone photography on speculation and if there was any success, etc.

I've had very limited success doing aerial photos on speculation. Mostly it wasn't worth it, though there are companies that do well at it (or at least used to).

Reactions: Jack Matthias
No I’ve never done that. I would think going door to door asking people if they would like a picture of their house would take too much time for the amount of business you would get. And now days the door to door approach doesn’t go over as well as it use to. People are suspicious of strangers knocking on doors.

I've had very limited success doing aerial photos on speculation. Mostly it wasn't worth it, though there are companies that do well at it (or at least used to).[/QUOTE]

I don’t think he’s asking about speculation. Speculation would be when you take a picture not knowing if the prospect is going to buy it. He ask if you have gone around asking people if they wanted a picture done.

The point of the original post has been missed. It's not about 107 rules, etc. He's asking if anyone has tried doing drone photography on speculation and if there was any success, etc.

I've had very limited success doing aerial photos on speculation. Mostly it wasn't worth it, though there are companies that do well at it (or at least used to).

I lucked out once and the only time that I did it this way. I had been watching a basketball court being constructed at a University and thought it would be an interesting shot if timed right. Look closely at the shadows, and where they originate. One day I drove by and gave it a go. I sent it to a contact at the School that I had from unrelated work and he liked it so much that he said I would be getting all of their aerial work.NEIT 2 web.jpg

This is something that I have thought about and wondered how The FAA would look at it. I have been told by a very experienced drone photographer, who also does all types of photography, that a 107 pilot can fly as a hobbyist as long as they don’t mix it during a flight. Now this is his definition and not confirmed by The FAA. OK I got to thinking, if a 107 pilot is flying as a hobbyist and get some really good video and/or photographs and decides to show them to an interested party who buys them wouldn’t that be mixing your flight? Would you turn down money if it was a very good offer? And what about work you did before you were certified? Is it legal to sell?

Even though this is taking the thread "Off Topic" this question needs to be answered so others reading can learn from it.

The "Intent of the flight" is what matters. If you are a P107 operator and flying under 336(hobby) guidelines you're just a hobbyist so long as you are flying with the INTENT of a hobbyist. Proving "intent" otherwise is very difficult unless there is a "trend/pattern" that can be defined (such as repeatedly selling images taken as a hobbyist...). You determine your "Intent" prior to the flight and the whole flight must be carried out following the guidelines/rules as the intent of the flight.

The FAA has stated multiple times that a Part 107 operator can fly as a 336/hobby operation at any time so long as they adhere strictly to the guidelines for 336. The part about "mixing" would be like, utilizing 336 to allow you to fly by merely calling ATC and then using that flight to take pictures/video with intent to sell/distribute them. If your intent is to behave as P107 then the flight would need to follow P107 rules.

It's also been stated that images/video captured from a hobby flight CAN be later sold/distributed without any fear of prosecution so long as the flight was fully within 336 guidelines and without INTENT to sell/distribute the data.

The part about "Work before you were certified".... if you was flying under 336 guidelines then you can sell that stuff too but be careful.... if you was "Working" before you was certified you just painted yourself into a corner "verbally". I'd state it like this, "All of my images/video before I got my P107 were taken for fun/recreation and I didn't start [working] until after I got my Part 107 license."

Even though this is taking the thread "Off Topic" this question needs to be answered so others reading can learn from it.

The "Intent of the flight" is what matters. If you are a P107 operator and flying under 336(hobby) guidelines you're just a hobbyist so long as you are flying with the INTENT of a hobbyist. Proving "intent" otherwise is very difficult unless there is a "trend/pattern" that can be defined (such as repeatedly selling images taken as a hobbyist...). You determine your "Intent" prior to the flight and the whole flight must be carried out following the guidelines/rules as the intent of the flight.

The FAA has stated multiple times that a Part 107 operator can fly as a 336/hobby operation at any time so long as they adhere strictly to the guidelines for 336. The part about "mixing" would be like, utilizing 336 to allow you to fly by merely calling ATC and then using that flight to take pictures/video with intent to sell/distribute them. If your intent is to behave as P107 then the flight would need to follow P107 rules.

It's also been stated that images/video captured from a hobby flight CAN be later sold/distributed without any fear of prosecution so long as the flight was fully within 336 guidelines and without INTENT to sell/distribute the data.

The part about "Work before you were certified".... if you was flying under 336 guidelines then you can sell that stuff too but be careful.... if you was "Working" before you was certified you just painted yourself into a corner "verbally". I'd state it like this, "All of my images/video before I got my P107 were taken for fun/recreation and I didn't start [working] until after I got my Part 107 license."

Thank You Big Al for the reply. I have always wondered about these questions and I'm glad someone has cleared it up. Sorry for getting off topic.

Didn't mean to take it off topic, just giving an example of what transpired. Sorry. I won't post any more.

Reactions: BigAl07
I lucked out once and the only time that I did it this way. I had been watching a basketball court being constructed at a University and thought it would be an interesting shot if timed right. Look closely at the shadows, and where they originate. One day I drove by and gave it a go. I sent it to a contact at the School that I had from unrelated work and he liked it so much that he said I would be getting all of their aerial work.View attachment 339

Great news to hear and an awesome photo[emoji1360]

I haven't tried this approach yet but plan to use Next Door to put the word out about taking photos of homes or property in my local area. Just an idea as an option to going door to door.

Reactions: Tim Kish
I haven't tried this approach yet but plan to use Next Door to put the word out about taking photos of homes or property in my local area. Just an idea as an option to going door to door.

I think your efforts would be well spent in advertising in Real Estate Publications. In doing that you will be interacting with folks that are interested in selling their property. Anyone selling will check such publications to establish a selling price for their property. Stress that you are Licensed and Insured. If we all stress those points it will embed the thought of using a licensed pilot vs the guy down the street.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164