Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

T& D inspection / cell tower inspection

I'm pretty sure @Florida Drone Supply can give some guidance in this endeavor.

Before you spend too much time & $$ you want to research the job potential out there. As stated above, many of the potential clients have now gone INSIDE and created their own Drone/sUAS program.
Yes, we are involved in a lot of tower inspections right now. We are about to wrap up a couple more projects in the SE (AL, GA and surrounding states) and are likely heading to the NE beginning in about 2 more weeks. Our training is 4+ days depending on the number of students - we try to keep the class to 5 or less to allow a good amount fo flight time every day for the students.

Beyond the areas mentioned above, we were also asked to prep teams that can work in the midwest and the west coast - more on that in a few weeks. Our next training begins in 2 days and we will have another one scheduled 2-3 weeks after that.

If you want to know more, get involved or just chat about the work, please reach out any time. Thanks!

Michael
(855) 837-6637

I worked on the big project in Cali for a while.
Two main recruiters, Precision Hawk and Sky Gear Solutions.
They are usually seeking recruits.
Without experience, you can get a VO position and get flying time there under RPIC supervision to advance.
It's difficult without a home support team, or leaving your family for months at a time. Kinda like a military deployment.
The pay is above average, as even weather related no fly days were paid for just showing up.
It's 6 days a week, not your regular job.
Many have been tent camping from area to area since last year, but that's their choice, as the money they save goes in their pockets.
Many go in on vacation homes.
It's long days, sometimes trudging through fields, washed out roads.
Sometimes nice clear runs of towers.
Two man teams in one truck, an RPIC and VO are dutied with a string of numbered towers.
Minimum equipment is a drone with minimum 20 mega pix camera, enough batteries and chargers to stay plugged into a generator and charging to fly all day long.
Eat and drink on the road.
Tower totals are not as critical as safety and proper public protocol.
We saw some spectacular scenery, traveled by very few.
If your tough, versatile, love outdoor adventures, and don't mind being away from home for long periods, I do advise looking into it.
I suspect with 200% of usual snowfall, many areas won't be accessible well into and after summer.
Even VO positions pay well above your average job.
You will bond closely with your team, have a lot of fun, get paid well, and see a new world of utility data collecting.
Plus have a nice resume' afterwards.

Hi all!
I'd like to know more about the type of data that clients request during these types of inspections.
I know it may vary based on every client but from your experiences, what type of data/deliverable is the most sought after by clients during T& D inspection / cell tower inspection? (3D, raw images, labeled images, PDF report, KML, etc.)?

I worked on the big project in Cali for a while.
Two main recruiters, Precision Hawk and Sky Gear Solutions.
They are usually seeking recruits.
Without experience, you can get a VO position and get flying time there under RPIC supervision to advance.
It's difficult without a home support team, or leaving your family for months at a time. Kinda like a military deployment.
The pay is above average, as even weather related no fly days were paid for just showing up.
It's 6 days a week, not your regular job.
Many have been tent camping from area to area since last year, but that's their choice, as the money they save goes in their pockets.
Many go in on vacation homes.
It's long days, sometimes trudging through fields, washed out roads.
Sometimes nice clear runs of towers.
Two man teams in one truck, an RPIC and VO are dutied with a string of numbered towers.
Minimum equipment is a drone with minimum 20 mega pix camera, enough batteries and chargers to stay plugged into a generator and charging to fly all day long.
Eat and drink on the road.
Tower totals are not as critical as safety and proper public protocol.
We saw some spectacular scenery, traveled by very few.
If your tough, versatile, love outdoor adventures, and don't mind being away from home for long periods, I do advise looking into it.
I suspect with 200% of usual snowfall, many areas won't be accessible well into and after summer.
Even VO positions pay well above your average job.
You will bond closely with your team, have a lot of fun, get paid well, and see a new world of utility data collecting.
Plus have a nice resume' afterwards.
@Deltadave What is pay well?

VO's may expect around $350- $450/day, times 6 a week.
Pilots (RPIC's) were getting $500-$600/day, six days a week

Reactions: AH-1G
What DeltaDave described is pretty much the way it is in California with one exception: lodging is being provided for the ops teams in most cases.

I'm doing the same thing for a California based aerial data generation company and we are looking for a few good people for both the tower inspection work and other upcoming projects. 107 operators that have been logging their hours, with a track record of safety and the ability to learn can send me a PM to set up a "qualifying" voice conversation that would lead to a direct company management meeting and application. It's good work and all the flight equipment is provided. The days of everyone showing up with the personal aircraft is winding down fast as the prime clients are establishing minimum equipment standards much higher than the usual gamut of Phantoms and Mavics, along and in depth operational safety protocols.

Someone asked earlier what the specific work flow was that is being demanded from the teams. The prime clients have made it pretty clear what they are collecting is proprietary to their operations so anyone doing this work for them is likely not going to be sharing the details.

Reactions: BigAl07
Sign me up!
Contact sub-contractors.
They schedule on-boarding dates as needed.
Don't quote payments.
It's only what I saw/received.
I'm in no position to quote salaries.

What DeltaDave described is pretty much the way it is in California with one exception: lodging is being provided for the ops teams in most cases.

I'm doing the same thing for a California based aerial data generation company and we are looking for a few good people for both the tower inspection work and other upcoming projects. 107 operators that have been logging their hours, with a track record of safety and the ability to learn can send me a PM to set up a "qualifying" voice conversation that would lead to a direct company management meeting and application. It's good work and all the flight equipment is provided. The days of everyone showing up with the personal aircraft is winding down fast as the prime clients are establishing minimum equipment standards much higher than the usual gamut of Phantoms and Mavics, along and in depth operational safety protocols.

Someone asked earlier what the specific work flow was that is being demanded from the teams. The prime clients have made it pretty clear what they are collecting is proprietary to their operations so anyone doing this work for them is likely not going to be sharing the details.
Our teams were required to provide a minimum of Inspire1 Pro's with Zenmuse X5 and 45 mm lense.
Luckily I have a I1/X5, I2/X5S (plus a couple if P4P's)

The big players demand high quality deliverables. They demand high quality, high resolution product that can be used without cropping or post processing as post processing adds time and money to the cost of their workflow. For them it’s their dollar that matters, not ours as they pay well enough to offset our expenses.

They insist on equipment that lets qualified operators “get in, get out, and get done, go there next” with the minimum amount of set up and break down. They insist on sensors and lenses that just can’t be fitted on what I’ll call pocket drones. If you aren’t delivering more than 20mpxl images shot with a 50mm or greater lens that provide excellent resolution from 30’ or more away from the target, don’t bother to apply.

Phantoms, Mavics, H Plus, Typhoon H, Anafi’s, Evo’s, and similar don’t have the capabilities necessary to meet the standards that are being set. Product advertising makes them appear capable but once they hit the playing field their deficiencies quickly become apparent. Platforms like the I2 and up are being specified as “minimum” equipment because they can carry an effective payload, minimize set up time, provide high levels of reliability, tremendous stability, and enhanced operational features. Smaller stuff also can’t carry additional equipment required by the client. The larger clients LOVE NFZ software because it protects THEM from liability and violation litigation.

The market is maturing, the clients are setting minimum standards that have to be met to get into their game. You MUST be capable of flying with precision positioning. The day of the small, easily afforded platform for commercial work is rapidly coming to an end. The people showing up with minimally capable equipment and complicated workflows to deliver still images are not effective and can’t fulfill their product requirements.

Personally, I will never again buy a drone for commercial work that can’t lift a 50mm lens, or more. Anything less won’t let you play in a good paying playground. Cropping or digital zoom reduces image quality significantly and is not acceptable. Stand off distance minimums are being established as corporate safety departments have learned what it takes to operate safely, and you must comply. Corporate safety departments have tremendous leverage in operational practices as their policies minimize losses from damage or injury, which maximizes profitability. The “golden rule” is being applied. Those with the gold are making the rules.
There are only a few companies making the tools that fit the requirements.d

Last edited:
Appreciate the response,Pat. can you expand?

"The market is maturing, the clients are setting minimum standards that have to be met to get into their game. "
Like?
"Stand off distance minimums are being established as corporate safety departments..."
Such as?
" complicated workflows"
Example?
"There are only a few companies making the tools that fit the requirements."
Such as?

Sorry, I can’t delve into operational practices as it would violate NDA’s.

As for “only a few companies” you find among them DJI, Intel, FreeFly, along with a couple others that integrate high quality payloads, gimbals, and operating systems in a fairly compact, extremely reliable package.

To expand on this discussion, I have received so interesting news coming from DJI and from on of DJI's largest enterprise reseller.

I can't go into some of the details that I received a couple of days ago but please pay close attention to DJI's announcement at the upcoming AUVSI's Xponential event.

To expand on this discussion, I have received so interesting news coming from DJI and from on of DJI's largest enterprise reseller.

I can't go into some of the details that I received a couple of days ago but please pay close attention to DJI's announcement at the upcoming AUVSI's Xponential event.
TEASE?????!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM