Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Test video of Phantom striking General aviation airplane wing

While I understand the point many here (and across the internet) are trying to make about how this isn't a "REAL" scientific test... I don't fully see it from the same point of view. How many automotive impact tests have we watched on TV and the net involving various cars/trucks/vans being destroyed and with NO test parameters being released? We don''t discredit those tests simply because they don't provide the full technical report along with the video when it's released. I've never seen anyone say, "Oh that crash test didn't give us the details of parameters of the test. Maybe that weighted sled was traveling faster than the average vehicular impact so the whole test is botched".

I'd be willing to bet that there is a FULL test report (or there will be once it's compiled... keep in mind this is a very recent test so reports take time) but this video isn't about that type of details.

See where I'm coming from? This was what I would call a "Test Demonstration" but regardless what we call it the effects are still apparent and very sobering to so many in our industry. How many times have we seen statements like:

"Our tiny plastic drones will just bounce off of an aircraft and cause little to no damage what so ever."
or
"They only weight a couple to a few pounds so what damage can a few pounds of plastic REALLY do to a METAL aircraft?"

My sincere hopes are that this "demonstration" will free up some significant funds so in-depth and detailed tests can be performed going forward. Can you imagine how much damage, if in the exact same scenario, an Inspire 2 (dual batteries) would do? Now think about a Matrice 600 (6 motors, 6 batteries) carrying a large heavy production camera impacting the same wing in the same way and speed.

On the spot, Al, 100%. Unfortunately most non-aviators still think this collision potential is no big deal. Unfortunately, the reckless operators who need this information the most, are not watching it, or ignoring it.

Why the difference when it comes to drones? It makes absolutely no sense unless there is some kind of agenda behind it.

The answer is very simple, because 98% or more of the drones are piloted by people without any knowledge of the rules to be complied with in an airspace shared with piloted aircraft and this is where the problem of the negative perception really resides.

Isn't it a conspiracy, or do you think journalists don't ask experts? The experts are alarmed, and rightly so, by the lack of control that anyone can fly in airspace without the slightest control and that's what needs to be fixed.

Yesterday we received a complaint from a professional drone pilot protesting that a manned aircraft made a low flight, about 100 feet high. Why? The limit is 500 feet for piloted aircrafts. Our ceiling is 400 feet and precisely that 100 feet is an added safety distance. Not only do drone pilots do things wrong, pilots of manned aircraft do things wrong, but they are much less because they are trained. Anyway there are brainless everywhere, with part 107, commercial pilots, military pilots, etc...............

The answer is very simple, because 98% or more of the drones are piloted by people without any knowledge of the rules to be complied with in an airspace shared with piloted aircraft and this is where the problem of the negative perception really resides.

Isn't it a conspiracy, or do you think journalists don't ask experts? The experts are alarmed, and rightly so, by the lack of control that anyone can fly in airspace without the slightest control and that's what needs to be fixed.

Yesterday we received a complaint from a professional drone pilot protesting that a manned aircraft made a low flight, about 100 feet high. Why? The limit is 500 feet for piloted aircrafts. Our ceiling is 400 feet and precisely that 100 feet is an added safety distance. Not only do drone pilots do things wrong, pilots of manned aircraft do things wrong, but they are much less because they are trained. Anyway there are brainless everywhere, with part 107, commercial pilots, military pilots, etc...............
It was a rhetorical question. I know the "company" answer.

Problem is I've been through this before... The regulation of an industry or trade.

I attended the stakeholder meetings. I witnessed the phony outcry for public protection from the "evil entity". I witnessed from those that had a different agenda, the willingness to misuse and exploit data such as this. To twist the message and lie.

This seems eerily similar. Not pointing solely at this video...but the overall picture trying to be painted. Planes aren't falling from the sky. The number of verified incidents don't approach (even slighty) the level of danger associated with other aerospace related plagues. Bird strikes and FOD damage just to name two.

I'm skeptical of the motivation, for no other reason than technology is rapidly changing to combat this. In my case, I cannot launch my bird at a time or place where I'm not authorized, whether flying for a job or pleasure. I'm geofenced...grounded. I can't be the only one.

Sure, Older platforms don't have the nanny and some newer platforms like the H520 don't have it, but I'd wager that won't last.

In the end I've see the results of "scare tactics". They can backfire. Badly. There are already groups out there that don't have our best interests at heart. Be careful what you wish for.
Tort Law Relating to Drones

I can assure you that in my country, spain, the regulations are much tougher than in yours. I don't know if it will continue to be so when they approve what they are debating now, but for now it is. And I won't tell you anything when it comes to the difficulties we have to do the paperwork.

The real problem is that, at least here, there was a regulation for model airplanes and could only fly in certain airspace and in places with premise, you could not leave those areas. Now with the new regulation of drones can fly in many other places, outside those sites and is where the big problem is emerging. That amateur users, the vast majority believe they can do it anywhere, and why not? because they are not asked to have some minimum knowledge. We have gone from a field with fences to a much bigger field without fences.

Professionals know, or should know, the rules and although as in any sector, there would still be indidents or accidents, the number would be much smaller. It is important to distinguish between amateur and professional and today, even in this forum we are not making the distinction and therefore we all put in the same group, that's unfair.

Training for anyone who wants to fly a drone, if amateur much more lax, if professional more extensive. It's as easy as that, a license, crarnet, authorization or whatever you want to call it.

Sorry Weaponized if I have not understood you well, my English is not very good :oops:

I have wondered about the so called "scare tactics" and who may benefit from greater restrictions on drone operations. I would guess it is manned aircraft/helicopter pilots. Crop dusters may see drones as a threat to their business, helicopter pilots that once made big bucks doing aerial photography are now losing work to drones, especially in the movie industry. Law enforcement can use drones where helicopters were once used at a tremendous savings, and more effectively in some cases.
What if the four to eight motor platform moved to manned aircraft, I believe it could replace helicopters because the maintenance costs would be extremely low compared to helicopters.
I may be totally wrong, but from a manned pilots point of view I could see it. Many years ago airlines had two pilots, a flight engineer, and a navigator. The navigator was the first to go because of technological advances, next was the fight engineer for the same reason. Reality is with automation today and autonomous flights there is no real need for two pilots in an airliner, all you need is one pilot and your flight computer.
It amazes me that pilots today log flight hours when the reality is the flight computer is doing all the work and the pilot is going along for the ride. I know that is a stretch but there is an element of truth to it.

The crux of my post was not to imply a conspiracy per se, but to point out how the data can be misused or exploited.

During regulation process there are many stakeholders. When I went to committee meetings during the regulation of the inspection profession in my state, I was stunned at the different industries that wanted to put their hands in the soup. Virtually every single one of them wanted to craft the bill in a manner that benefited them with no regards to how it affected the inspection profession.

And therein lies my point…These other entities will pretend to be your friend while looking you in the eye, then circumvent your efforts and stab you in the back. The absolute worst thing you could do is give them the ammunition or hand them the knife.

There are people in this process that see nothing but dollar signs for themselves. They are not your friend. And the message of this video could easily be contorted into something beyond its intent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905